TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
happymonkey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cool Hair Down There - July 21st 2015, 06:13 AM

Hi, this is weird, but I was wondering what to do about my pubic hair...I've shaved down there before, but I always get these little red bumps so I was wondering what to do about that. Is it weird to shave and have no hair down there? Is it weird to just trim it? I definitely don't like when it looks like a jungle down there, so I was just wondering realistically what other teen's preferences were. Thank you! And sorry this is so personal..

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LeRiA Offline
Insomniac
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: LeRiA

Re: Hair Down There - July 21st 2015, 08:31 AM

Hey there! I know I'm young myself, but I have hair 'down there' too. The little red bumps are called razor burn. They occur when your skin is irritated, you've not used shaving cream or you've shaved too hard. I recommend giving those hairs a little trim before you shave down there and use shaving cream.
If you shave even though nothing's there, it can damage your hair follicles and give your razor burn which is veeerrrryyyy itchy
I, personally, do not shave down there. I give it a trim every now and then to shave it, but during my PSHE puberty lessons, they said its there to protect us, so in not going to shave it off completely.

Hope I helped
P.s. If the razor burn starts to itch, put a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda/ baking soda/ baking powder into a cup of water. Mix it with a spoon. Take some cotton wool and dab it in. Apply it to the affected area for about 10-20 mins. Do this every time it itches

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Hair Down There - July 22nd 2015, 10:52 AM

Alli gave some great tips! Razor burn is normal and not harmful, but using shaving cream or soap can help! If you don't like shaving...then don't! It's all up to personal choice. I've gone through times where I prefer to shave and times where I don't and I just trim. It varies by person. Potential sexual partners may have preferences and that's something you can always discuss with them, but I always suggest doing what makes you most comfortable.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Hair Down There - July 25th 2015, 01:22 AM

hey, welcome to TH!

well one thing i can tell you is that whether you decide to shave it all, keep it trimmed, or just let it all grow out, NEITHER of those are "weird". all that matters is that you're comfortable with the way your own body hair is, and if someone else has a problem with that then they're not worth caring about. c:

for me personally, i shave it all completely every 3-4 days, because i just can't deal with pubic hair at all.
i don't know what you can do about the red bumps, but don't worry, we all get those. i think there are products out there that can make them go away faster, but i don't know about making them never come up.
i've started using a shaving cream that's supposed to prevent the red bumps, but it hasn't really helped. i mean, it's certainly better than it was without the cream, but there's still a lot of bumps.
i guess it's just one of those things we have to deal with.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Hair Down There - July 25th 2015, 03:14 AM

I prefer natural but it's obliviously your choice

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Hair Down There - July 25th 2015, 04:44 AM

As others have said, the bumps you described are razor burn or possibly ingrown hairs. Make sure if you do decide to shave you use a sharp razor, shaving cream, and shave along the hair growth, not opposite it.

I've had my pubic hair in various styles over the years. It's all about personal preference. It's important not to let someone else, like a boyfriend, should you get one, or society, tell you what your pubic hair should look like. Style it for your comfort and yours only.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Iam-Marie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Marie

Re: Hair Down There - August 7th 2015, 12:27 PM

it is quite normal, I sometimes get too

(#8 (permalink)) Old
WildHeart98 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosie

Re: Hair Down There - August 8th 2015, 12:08 AM

I have this problem rally bad. I normally shave along my panty line but I shaved a lot more down there just before bikini season in the early spring and it was one of the worst mistakes I've ever made. I was itching and in pain from the razor burn (those little red bumps) for weeks! I found that using sudocrem (brand of mild antiseptic cream in the Uk that works wonders for soothing acne, razor burn and nappy rash.) It seems to be rare outside of the UK however so is recomemd you use a nappy rash cream to soothe it a bit after shaving if you don't want to shave down there and spend copious ammounts of money on ebay!

After my distastrous brush with a razor in the spring I mostly now just tr down there because I found that ingrown hairs are an issue too. Pubes are there for a reason I guess and that reason is to protect your lady areas. Shaving isn't something you should feel obliged to do as it is often a matter of what you are comfortable with.

"We have the power to make this generation either the best generation in history or the last"- John F. Kenedy

Closed Thread