TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gerswich Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy Growth Concerns - December 3rd 2015, 01:43 AM

Hello, I write here in this forum to seek for help about my growth.

I'm currently 16 years old, and I started lifting weights a year ago ( November 2014) and I actually feel that I didn't grow. I was measured 5'10 in February of this present year and I got measured again two weeks ago and still 5'10. This last time the measurement device seemed more precise than the first time but I don't know I'm really really worried about it because I'm afraid of stop growing and I feel bad about being this short.

My dad is 5'10 too, my mom is 5'4 and my dad claims that you stop growing at the age of 21 and that from he was 16 years old to 21 he grew like 3 inches.

I just want to know how tall can I be, I want to be 6'1 at least and when I was little my pediatrist measured me and also checked my structure and he predicts that I'm going to be from 6'1 to 6'3 not less than that. And I'm worried I stopped growing right now.

Thanks a lot and I would appreciate every answer

Last edited by arepo; December 3rd 2015 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Moving to Sex & Puberty. :)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Growth Concerns - December 3rd 2015, 04:54 AM

It's normal to grow after 16, it's just going to be slower than when you were 10-11 and grew an inch a month. I wouldn't worry too much!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Anonymiousx54 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Growth Concerns - December 3rd 2015, 10:45 AM

I think you will still grow till your 21.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: .

Re: Growth Concerns - December 3rd 2015, 08:31 PM

Everyone stops growing at different ages. There isn't an age where everyone stops growing. You stop growing when your growth plates fuse. If they have fused , you won't grow anymore at all. Unfortunately, 16 is not too young for the growth to have stopped-- even if you are a guy. But fortunately, 5'10 is not short- its average. Average height for American men is 5'10. 50 percent of adult men are shorter than you are right now. I'm 5'6 , a guy, and stopped growing at 16. I would say only a few people grow in their college years (18-21) , but if your dad did - you may have a greater likelihood of continuing to grow into your 20s-depending on your genetic makeup.

The thing is though- is that a doctor can tell you if you can still grow taller. They can do a simple x-ray on your wrist and tell you if you are done growing or not. The x-ray shows if your bones have completely matured or not. If they haven't , you will still get taller.

Growing can occur at irregular rates, but nearly a full year would be a long time without any growth at all. But as you say, it could be the measurement device. You could have been at like 5'9 in February and 5'10 now. I wouldn't worry too much though- 5'10 isn't short at all.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ayak22 Offline
[Formerly LetGodArise/Ayak]
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Growth Concerns - December 4th 2015, 03:34 PM

The rates are different for everyone, but I wouldn't worry too much. I stopped at around 18 at 5'9, but I was like 5'5 until I was 16. You just can't know really.

InherentlyObvious/LetGodArise/AyakTwloha
Member since Sep '08
Always here to help.
To Write Love On Her Arms

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Growth Concerns - December 4th 2015, 05:31 PM

I'm 5'10, it isn't short >.>
You still have a few potential growing years left so I wouldn't worry too much.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
jimmisss Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jimmy

Re: Growth Concerns - December 10th 2015, 12:55 PM

You shouldn't do weights so young... If I were you, I wouldn't do that... it can damage your spine, and by that indirectly affect your growth.

In addition, weights make low quality muscles if you don't have a background (if you didn't do any sport to build your body properly).

Train some sport, martial arts are quite popular now... it builds body and character much better than weights.

About your size... your quick growth might be over, but you'll stretch still in coming years.
 Send a message via ICQ to jimmisss Send a message via Skype™ to jimmisss 
Closed Thread