TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Periods! - February 23rd 2016, 09:33 PM

So, I'm just needing a bit of advice. I posted this here, because it is indeed, about periods. Anywhooo, I'm struggling with how to bring up periods to girls about to start, as well as how to explain to them the different options they have about taking care of that, such as disposable pads, disposable tampons, cloth pads, menstrual cups, and 'period panties.'

I know things like this are odd to talk about for the first time, and I mean lets be real, in this day in age it's considered odd to talk about anything intimate. (Which is sad.) In addition to talking to girls who haven't yet started, there are a few girls who have been on their periods for a while, and I'd love to introduce them to the world of RUMPS (reusable menstrual products) but I'm just not sure how to bring that up either.

Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Periods! - February 24th 2016, 10:31 PM

When I was younger, I appreciated when my mom stopped trying to 'beat around the bush' about it. At first she was like "womanly parts" and "instead of a pad the other thing" and things like that. It made it hard to follow and it made it so awkward. When I kept going, "Wait, are we talking about the...other thing? Not the pad one but the other?" She got the idea. She then started saying "Okay, let's get the word out there. Vagina! Tampon! Pad! Period! Blood!" And we giggled about it before she finally explained things.

So, obviously you may not want to be as blunt and vivid as that, but I do think you should use the actual names of the items and just state the obvious. "I know this is awkward, so let's just get it out there. We're talking about periods and tampons and other things that may be considered 'gross' or 'scary'. Well, here's why they happen and how to deal with them."

Hope that helps a little.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Periods! - February 25th 2016, 03:18 PM

Thank you. I'm pretty 'blunt' I suppose when it comes to talking about it, and I don't beat around the bush about things, I'm just concerned about them truly paying attention considering most people snicker and laugh. Anywhoo, thanks again for the advice.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Periods! - February 25th 2016, 07:10 PM

I think that having someone be really straightforwards with me would have been great, but done in a way that wouldn't have involved me sharing what I thought was "awkward" information. Like you need to build a rapport with the kids - give them the info, but don't share super intimate details of your period right away and don't expect them to do the same, start with the facts and details in a way that's still interesting and seems like they can open up. Start with something like "yeah, I've had my period since this age and get a really heavy flow" but don't start describing your mucus or something haha

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
lostely Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Periods! - February 26th 2016, 05:38 PM

Sounds quite true and familiar also to me, like let your own experience be the first part, like so on can identify.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Periods! - February 27th 2016, 04:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Periods! - March 1st 2016, 05:46 AM

Yeah I wish someone was as honest with me. We had a teacher come in once a week to discuss puberty related things and it was awful. I remember the lesson about periods the teacher talked about how it's okay to ask to use the bathroom, that teachers would understand. Meanwhile I had *just* got my period for the very first time, too scared to ask to use the bathroom. That was mostly because of the dynamics and the way the students behaved but also because the teacher was not having a good rapport at all and seemed displeased when someone had to use the bathroom *again* and then make some kind of restrictive bathroom policy. So understanding of her, sigh... In high school I took a health class and the teacher was a lot better but she would often pick on me for being too quiet. So I guess based on these experiences, I would recommend to allow all students to participate to whatever extent they feel comfortable. And also the fact that the girls may be coming in with different levels of understanding of their body so to remind them that it's a learning process not just from you but from each other as well. There way be some contemporary issues that we as older people overlook so keeping it relevant would be important, I'd say. The last thing I'd want (or not want at all) is for a teacher to tell me how my body works while disregarding what I could possibly offer to the discussion.

Closed Thread