TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Finally got birth control!!... now what? - January 26th 2017, 06:52 AM

So yesterday I finally built up the courage to go, alone and behind my parent's backs, to Planned Parenthood to get the birth control pill.

I had so much anxiety and shit going on while I was there, just because I really don't know anything about anything, and it's quite scary to be alone not knowing what you're doing but pretending to know. (If that makes any sense at all... basically I feel like I'm learning to be an adult all on my own, which isn't necessarily bad, but it's scary.) So I really didn't ask all the questions I wanted to.

As soon as I opened them and the instructions, I was immediately confused.

-What's up with the brown "reminder" pills? Are those the ones I take during my period or does it matter?
Also, since they have no hormones, what happens if I have sex while it's the reminder pill week? Could I get pregnant? Like it seems kind of dumb to have pills that do nothing.

-I also need advice on when to start taking the pill. It says a bunch of different times you can start it in relativity to your period, but I just don't understand how it's supposed to match up with the pack. So since it has three rows of normal pills and then the last row of brown pills - and I'm under the impression that brown pills are for period week - should I start the day after my next period?
It just sucks because I won't have it for another couple weeks, and I need to start the pills as soon as possible. But I just want to start the cycle off as organized as possible.

-Speaking of periods, does anyone have advice on the whole "stopping periods" thing? As a girl, to hear that I have the power to get rid of my periods is a blessing from the highest of heavens. However, I can't tell you how many times I've been overjoyed to get my period, just because it's a regular confirmation that I'm not pregnant.
In addition to that, since stopping periods would mean only taking the regular pills, I'll obviously run out of pills sooner and I'd like to wait as long as possible before having to go back to that place for a refill.

So does anyone have first hand experience with all that? I need all the help I can get.
Sorry, I know a lot of these are probably really stupid questions, but again I'm doing this without anyone else to talk to or ask for advice so yeah.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Finally got birth control!!... now what? - January 26th 2017, 08:35 AM

You can call Planned Parenthood and get all your questions answered.

There are several different types of BC pills, so have your pills on hand when you call. They can tell you when to start, and how soon afterward it's safe to have sex.

You won't get pregnant if taken as directed, even while taking the week of pills which do nothing.

Alternatively, you could call any pharmacy, ask to talk with a female, and ask your questions.

Another option is you could give us the name of the pills you got, and someone here can then give you the answers.

Planned Parenthood is used to answering these questions, as many people have these questions. They are good questions! They'll be glad you asked.

Congratulations on being brave! I remember being a bit unsure my first time. I soon became a lot more comfortable.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Finally got birth control!!... now what? - January 26th 2017, 03:45 PM

Yeah, I thought about calling them, but I'm really uncomfortable over the phone and I don't know..
I think they have a Live Online Chat which I'll probably use if my questions aren't answered here, but I figured I'd ask here first because I like first hand opinions lol.

The pills are Aubra, which I think are the lowest dosage of hormones available.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Finally got birth control!!... now what? - January 26th 2017, 09:37 PM

What's up with the brown "reminder" pills? Are those the ones I take during my period or does it matter?
They're just sugar pills and you don't have to take them. Some companies put vitamins in them, like iron, but most don't.

Also, since they have no hormones, what happens if I have sex while it's the reminder pill week? Could I get pregnant? Like it seems kind of dumb to have pills that do nothing.
There is no benefit of the intert pills, the only reason they exist is when birth control was invented people felt it would be "more natural" to have people menstruate, but it's not even a real period. So I agree, they're dumb. But you won't get pregnant if you have sex that week.

should I start the day after my next period?
You can start them whenever! It might be benecial to start them right after your next period because it'll lower your chance of breakthrough bleeding, but you don't need to. I always just take mine the second I get them prescribed.

-Speaking of periods, does anyone have advice on the whole "stopping periods" thing?
Yeah, the breakthrough bleeding on the pill is not a sign you're not pregnant, you could still spot even if you were. I know a lot of people who like that about menstruating and that makes them uncomfortable about birth control, but honestly, if you're taking your pill regularly (same time each day), you're at such a lower chance of pregnancy that I wouldn't worry so much! If you really like that monthly "confirmation," you can buy some pregnancy tests from the dollar store and have them on you for months that you feel more uncomfortable.

Good luck, glad to hear you got on the pill! If you want more information, call up the Planned Parenthood you visited! They're an amazing organization and are always there to help you.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Finally got birth control!!... now what? - January 28th 2017, 06:56 AM

Okay, so I just took the first pill kind of on a stupid whim just now, Friday at 10:40 pm.

I was just thinking and looking at my period app and how far away my next period seems. It just seems dumb to wait that entire time before starting the pills, when I have a pretty regular sex life now and don't want to risk pregnancy. Plus it'll take a couple weeks before they even start working so I figured the sooner the better. Right?

After I took it I actually read the directions more in-depth and it seemed like it wanted me to either start it the first day of my period or the first Sunday after the start of my period. Not sure why, really, but is it okay that I started it now? I'm not supposed to get my period for another two weeks, so now that I'm taking the pill, I'm assuming it'll be three weeks instead. (since I have three weeks of the hormone pills.)

Also what is the breakthrough bleeding? Is it just random spotting? Or is it more serious, like will I need to wear a pad just in case?

Oh, and I took the EC pill Ella on Tuesday, is it bad that I started BC today with that possibly still in my system?

By the way, what do you mean by it's not a real period? And how will I not get pregnant if I'm not taking hormone pills for a whole week.
Sorry, I'm just really confused and worried haha.
Thanks for all the advice so far!!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Finally got birth control!!... now what? - January 28th 2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison.ivy View Post

-Speaking of periods, does anyone have advice on the whole "stopping periods" thing? As a girl, to hear that I have the power to get rid of my periods is a blessing from the highest of heavens. However, I can't tell you how many times I've been overjoyed to get my period, just because it's a regular confirmation that I'm not pregnant.
If you have the kind of birth control that has placebo pills (the brown pills) then you won't not have a period. Your period will come the week of the brown pills. It may take a couple months for your body to get used to this new cycle and your period may not be as long as it use it. But it will more than likely still come. There are types of birth control that stop you from having a period, but they don't have the week of brown pills in them like yours does.

Like Traci said, just because you see bleeding doesn't mean you are not pregnant. If you suspect you may be pregnant you should take a test. It is not uncommon for women to have bleeding when they are pregnant, especially in the first trimester. I had it in both of my pregnancies.

While birth control pills do greatly reduce the likelihood of pregnancy they are not 100% effective. And if they are not taken at the exact same time every day, this reduces their effectiveness. Putting an alarm on your phone, or using a reminder app can help with that.

Also birth control pills do not prevent against sexually transmitted diseases. Using a condom when having sex will help reduce the likelihood of contracting an STD. It will also work as a back up to your pills, it doesn't hurt using two types of birth control! But, like birth controls pills, condoms can't prevent against diseases 100%. It is still pertinent to get tested and have a pap done on a regular basis. Being proactive with your sexual health is very important.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#7 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Finally got birth control!!... now what? - January 29th 2017, 07:45 AM

OK according to this article (which just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true, but the author does have MD after his name, and the advice sounds correct):
https://www.bedsider.org/features/23...-how-about-now

1. You may start taking your BC pills right away (without waiting for your period)

2. They won't be fully effective for the first week, so continue to use a condom or something for the next 7 days.

Also, don't skip the brown pills, or think you can eliminate your period forever by just taking yellow pills.

Even though the brown pills "do nothing", they are there to help maintain the habit of taking a pill every day.

Take the pill around the same time every day. (e.g. Morning, or evening, whichever you chose.)

(and from the instructions):

1. Take one pill at the same time every day until the pack is empty.

Do not skip pills even if you are spotting or bleeding between monthly periods or feel sick to your stomach (nausea).

Do not skip pills even if you do not have sex very often.

2. When you finish a pack, start the next pack. (Do not wait any days between packs.)

That's pretty easy.

IF YOU MISS A PILL:
1. Take it as soon as you remember. Take the next pill at your regular time.
(This means you may take 2 pills in 1 day.)

IF YOU MISS TWO PILLS:
Hey the pills don't work if you don't take them!
(If you miss the brown pills it doesn't matter. But don't miss the yellow pills!)

OK have fun with your man! Congratulations! Thank you for being responsible.

The BC pills will work if you take them consistently. (Give them a week to start working.)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Finally got birth control!!... now what? - January 31st 2017, 04:06 PM

I need to wear a pad for breakthrough bleeding, but some people don't, it depends on how the bleeding is. For the majority of people, it is like a regular period but maybe a bit lighter and with less pain/cramps than a "real period." But some people, it's incredibly light. You'll have to see on your "off days."

With the not knowing your pregnant, you won't unless you take a test. Theoretically, birth control is incredibly effective, so there isn't a lot to worry about. But in reality, it can happen on the pill, and the breakthrough bleeding may not tell you that it's not a pregnancy. Like I said, I'd consider grabbing some dollar store pregnancy tests that you can have around if you're worried about it, or as Lizzie suggested, using a condom with the pill.

Del677 gave great advice as well, about taking the pills each day at the same time and waiting a week before having sex without a condom. The point of taking the placebo pills is to keep you in the habit of taking them. But theoretically, you don't need to, so if you forget a placebo pill, you don't have to worry about it.

Last, like I said, if you have questions, ask the person who prescribed them to you. They will be able to clarify a lot of this too!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread