TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 22nd 2017, 01:51 PM

I've tried to use tampons in the past and majorly failed at it. I'm told this is because I wasn't, well...lubricated enough for penetration and I'd believe it because every time I've tried, it's burned and felt kind of scratchy. I mainly want to use tampons because I'm on the spectrum and pads are extremely uncomfortable for me sensory-wise. So is the 'leaking' sensation. I also tend to get like chafing on my very upper inner thighs because of the pad. I don't know if anyone else gets that problem but I do So I looked up how to make the tampon go in easier and a lot of sites suggested putting lube on the tampon or on the vaginal opening. But the problem is, I can't just buy lube. I'm 17 and I live with my parents...my mom isn't too happy about me using tampons in the first place. She thinks they're gross. So she sure as hell isn't going to buy me lube on top of that. I was just wondering...is there any safe replacement for lube? (To use on vaginas, of course). I thought maybe Vaseline or olive oil but apparently those are dangerous

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 22nd 2017, 04:18 PM

If you are using the tampons while you are on your period then the blood should lubricate you enough. If you aren't using the tampon when you are bleeding heavily though it can ... make things a tad bit more uncomfortable which is why I tend to only use tampons during the days I am bleeding heavily. After you get used to inserting them you can, sometimes, wear them when you aren't bleeding heavily but I still find it uncomfortable so I choose not.

Here is an article that details it all: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f73-s...nsert-tampons/

It also might be dependent on the type of tampon you are using as well. When I first started using tampons I had a ton of difficulty with putting the tampons in that have the cardboard applicator. I almost gave up and then I gave the tampons with the thin plastic applicator a try, by chance, and they ended up working out a lot better. After a time I was able to utilize the cardboard applicators (not sure it's actually card board but it sure felt like it) but I prefer not to because it is still a bit uncomfortable. I tend to use tampax pearl but I have heard the Kotex brands are good as well. Also, if you are using a higher absorbency (I think they have regular and plus and one more? ) that could also be contributing to the difficulty. I found it easiest to start with the lowest absorbency and work my way up. (If the article mentions this I apologize for repeating...I only skimmed it!)

I imagine adding lube could help and you can, purchase it online. I haven't heard of there being an alternative to lube but there might be users here who are a bit more knowledgeable. To be able to purchase it online you do have to have a credit card or something but back before I had a credit card I would just put money on a visa gift card (if you used amazon you could get an amazon gift card) and purchased items that way.

Since the holidays are coming up, it might be possible that you will get money or gift cards. If you purchase from amazon items come in pretty non-descript packages.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 22nd 2017, 09:37 PM

In addition to what information Jenna provided, there are other options than pads and tampons for when you’re on your period. The Diva Cup is one option; it’s a flexible, easily washable and reusable cup that fits against the cervix and catches the menstrual flow. I believe it can hold a couple of tampons’ worth of blood and it can be emptied every twelve hours, unlike tampons, which need to be changed every four to six hours. It’s cost effective, too. There’s also Thinx period-proof panties, which apparently absorb menstrual flow without the leaking feeling and can hold 1-2 tampons’ worth depending on the style of panties (boyshorts, briefs, hipsters, etc.). I don’t have experience with Thinx but I did use the cup back when I got periods and I liked it. Just something to consider.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 22nd 2017, 09:56 PM

coconut oil is often used by some people as a natural lube. it's also so useful for literally hundreds of different things, so it wouldn't be suspicious at all to be buying it. you could just say it's for a DIY moisturizer or oil pulling for whiter teeth or something.
only problem is, it can be pretty pricey. but if you're good with money, i think last time i saw some it was around $12.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 22nd 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess~ View Post
coconut oil is often used by some people as a natural lube. it's also so useful for literally hundreds of different things, so it wouldn't be suspicious at all to be buying it. you could just say it's for a DIY moisturizer or oil pulling for whiter teeth or something.
only problem is, it can be pretty pricey. but if you're good with money, i think last time i saw some it was around $12.
Please don't use cocunut oil with condom use. The coconut oil will break down latex condom and it will more likely break or cause holes. So, if you plan on using coconut oil as lube while having intercourse, I wouldn't advise it. Coconut oil can also disrupt the vagina's natural system. I would research before trying any new lubes (oils) that others mention (this seems to be the trend online everywhere).

As for lube, I recommend a water-based one. I personally aim at picking lubes that have the least ingredients in them. As some of them can irritate and cause issues for your vagina. I understand that you are unable to get lube. However, I hope my suggestion below is a bit more helpful.

This might seem strange, when I first used tampons (cardboard) I would use water and wet the area (not the cardboard). I found this to be helpful. If you are unable to have the plastic ones, using water can be helpful. Also, plastic can be easier when it is wet for inserting but if you aren't it can feel weird like cardboard applicators. So, water is another alternative you could try.

I hope this was a little helpful.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 25th 2017, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the replies ^^ I'm not actually on my period now, not sure when my next one is due really...I'm just trying to plan ahead for my next one and I'm wondering if I should try wearing a tampon before my actual period to get used to it? And the time I did try to use one, it was my first day of my period so I wasn't bleeding much at all. I did look at the period underwear but I don't really like the idea of it...it seems like it'd be a lot of mess to me. Or rather, potentially messy...with a tampon, you can just throw it out but you have to wash and reuse the underwear all the time. I have considered the cups before but it seems like they'd be harder to use than a tampon and they're pricey...the ones I saw go for $40 each. But it might be a good idea to actually wet the opening with water first and I should probably look up like a WikiHow article or something so I can know what I'm doing, haha.

Would it be okay to use mousterizer or something, like just on the outside of the vagina? It says "not for internal use" on the bottle but I wouldn't really be putting it inside me...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 25th 2017, 10:32 AM

I would caution using lotion or moisturizer for the vagina. This would upset your natural PH levels and could result in yeast infections. I've personally never used it, but even soap can upset the natural PH balance. Vaginas are so sensitive.

If I recall, I did experiement with using a tampon when I wasn't on my period. I soaked it/wet it in water. I do remember it wasn't comfortable as when I was on my period. I know it helped me to know how far in it should sit. When pulling it out, it caused friction to happen and it was a little uncomfortable . Nonetheless, I did learn a few things by doing this. I also didn't keep it in very long either. I also found a method that worked for me in not feeling it after inserting it.

I beleive most tampon boxes come with instructions on ways to insert tampons with a diagram. This might be helpful to read.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 26th 2017, 02:30 AM

I would not advise testing out a tampon if you aren't on your period. It can cause issues due to the tampon drying out vaginal tissue. It would also be REALLY uncomfortable to remove. I mean, I will sometimes put a tampon in when I am not bleeding enough and then have to take it out and it is an uncomfortable feeling. For some people it can even be painful.

If you want to practice you'd be best to practice when you are on your period. Figuring out how to make them work best for you is definitely going to require some trial and error.

As for the cup, they can be a good investment if they are something that you end up liking or being comfortable with. I have had a lot of friend's who swear by the cup but I have others who hate it and were never able to get comfortable. They are definitely an investment but if you ended up using them. It would pay for itself because tampons end up being quite expensive especially if you use them a lot. Back before I was on birth control I tended to go through a box of tampons every two months or so.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 26th 2017, 03:09 AM

When I first started using tampons I did practice while not being on my period. It helped a lot. I know people are saying that it is really uncomfortable to pull out when there is hardly any bleeding or when it is dry, but for me it doesn't feel any different from when it has stuff on it. But I don't bleed a lot anytime I use a tampon so I might just be used to it.

I don't know if this would work or not, but if you use the tampons with the plastic applicator maybe you could try wetting the applicator with water and then inserting it. That might help with it being easier and not hurting as much.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#10 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 26th 2017, 03:45 AM

Inserting a tampon or a cup without being on your period isn't just uncomfortable but it can cause issues. Yes, it can be uncomfortable but it can also lead to tears. I've also been told by medical professionals that inserting a tampon when I am not on my period can increase the chances of developing toxic shock syndrome or increase the chance of being exposed to other bacteria.

IF you want to go that route talk to your doctor first and get their opinion. I've always been told it's not something that should be done.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
The Darkness Offline
Nothing Began Everything
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raphael

Re: Replacement for lube? (Tampons) - October 26th 2017, 07:21 AM

Consulting with some friends who are experts in this area, they also suggest coconut oil as an above poster said. Also, you can just buy lube and put it in a unlabeled bottle and keep it somewhere hidden in your room. Also, you can try the tampon without being on your period but many, as said above, don't recommend it.

THE POINT OF SINGULARITY IS NOTHING AS NOTHING BEGAN EVERYTHING
PULSING IN THE EXPAND CONSUME WITHOUT BARRIER OR BORDER
IT IS DARK BECAUSE IT IS THE DARKNESS IT IS OVER BECAUSE IT IS THE END
THERE IS NO SENTRY BECAUSE NONE DARE APPROACH
IT HAS NEVER BEEN AND IT IS ALL THAT EVER WAS
AT THE CENTER YOU DO NOT FIND THE ANSWER
YOU DO NOT FIND YOURSELF THERE IS NO CENTER AND THERE IS NO YOU THERE IS ONLY MADNESS
WE ARE ALL HERE NOW.
WE ARE ALL HERE.
WE ARE.

Closed Thread