TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

The arm implant - April 2nd 2018, 09:12 PM

[SIZE="a"]I have a gynecologist and I don't really like the office. It's full of men which is something I struggle with and I have been wanting to change for quite some time. However, I would have to get a referral and if my primary care wants me to come in just to get a referral I have no desire to pay the co-pay.

Anyway, I went into them a while back to ask about implanon or the arm implant and the doctor I talked to (he's been rude numerous times) says they don't give the arm implant to people who are overweight because it's the same hormones as the shot which causes weight gain.

I tried discussing it with him and he said "I'll give it to you if you'd like' but he said it in a way that made me think he thought I was going to gain weight and that made me nervous.

We found another form and I have been liking it okay but I'd rather get the arm implant as I wouldn't have to worry so much about doing it right.

I recently did some research and it said that the progestin in the shot can cause weight gain but there has been no real evidence that the hormones in the arm implant cause weight gain. I read a few other things that make me think that the arm implant is probably okay for people my weight (I have lost weight but I don't weigh what he said I needed too).

I scheduled an appointment with them again but this time I am going to talk to the female doctor that they have (she was not at their practice the last time I went). I am going to talk about the arm implant and let her know what I read (one of the articles that said the arm implant is unlikely to cause weight came from bedsider which is pretty legit).

If she says that they won't do it because of my weight should I 1) just tell them to do it because I don't care or 2) should I get a referral to another office and wait to get it done?

I know it's stupid but there are doctors who aren't that great with overweight patients and I've noticed certain things about this office that have bothered me. I mostly didn't care because I was able to see the nurse practitioner and she was quite nice. However, my office only allows the Medical Doctor (MD ) to consult and do the arm implant which makes sense.

Any thoughts or opinions would be great. I know there are negative side effects that can come along with the arm implant but I would talk to the doctor about what to look out for.

The only reason I am giving this office another chance is that my insurance will probably change and I'd rather not change this year and, possibly, have to change again. However, if they are refusing to give me something that they could just because I am overweight I don't want to keep going to them long term and I would REALLY like to try the arm implant.

All advice or thoughts appreciated. I won't be staying with them once my insurance changes but I don't go to the gynecologist enough to worry about changing unless absolutely necessary.[/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: The arm implant - April 3rd 2018, 05:26 AM

I looked on Bedsider like you did and they had a little bit of information about this. What I found said that for most types of birth control it should be fine. There were a few cases of accidental pregnancy reported on the pill and the patch, but they said there were also issues with the studies. The website did say that there are issues with emergency contraceptives and weight.

Weight gain is a potential side effect, but it doesn't mean that it's 100% going to happen. I know I gained a great deal of weight while on the last pill I was on and then the shot, but it started to even out more when I got on the implant. I also know that I am not at a healthy weight and my doctor still allowed me to get it in, but obviously my weight gain and my experience with getting the implant are anecdotal.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with getting a third opinion if this doctor still says she won't, especially since you want to change to a new office anyway.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: The arm implant - April 3rd 2018, 04:17 PM

[SIZE="a"]Thanks. That's what I was thinking. From what I read the reason the arm implant has less of a chance of causing weight gain is because the way it is dispersed.

I'll go to the appointment on Thursday (as long as I can get a ride) and see what the doctor says. As I stated the office as a whole isn't great but that particular doctor has been....anti-overweight people since I have seen him. It's not even him telling me I could lose some weight because it's healthier it has been rude stuff.

If the doctor I see on Thursday is similar or won't do it I'll ask them if they can refer me some where else or Ill call my general practitioner.

Thanks so much for the insight as the implant ... even if I only kept it in for a year or two and then decided to have a baby. Would be so much less stressful to deal with especially as some high stress stuff is going to be coming up this year.

As long as I don't have the side effects it seems perfect for me. [/size]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: The arm implant - April 6th 2018, 12:28 AM

[SIZE="a"]I was able to get the implant today. The doctor checked my bmi because apparently it is less effective once people hit a certain BMI. I was below that level and so she said it would be fine. The doctor I saw there last year didn't really explain that though he just said that it would cause weight gain. He might have vaguely mentioned effectiveness but ... I think it was more "You'll gain weight".

I am still losing weight so my BMI is fine and will continue to be fine so I am not worried about the effectiveness.

She mentioned it could cause irregular bleeding could someone explain that? I have heard the horror stories about bleeding for six months but I think the irregular bleeding can be as simple as just spotting. I told her I was willing to risk it though because worse case scenario I just take it out. My insurance should cover that.

Are there any other things I should look for? She said not much other than the bleeding.[/size]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: The arm implant - April 6th 2018, 01:12 AM

For irregular bleeding it could be heavier or lighter than normal, or it could mean that you bleed some between periods. I’ve had mine going on two years now and lost my period entirely until recently when I started again. Besides that I haven’t experienced anything much but everyone is different.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: The arm implant - April 6th 2018, 01:35 AM

[SIZE="a"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onism. View Post
For irregular bleeding it could be heavier or lighter than normal, or it could mean that you bleed some between periods. Iíve had mine going on two years now and lost my period entirely until recently when I started again. Besides that I havenít experienced anything much but everyone is different.

Yeah the doctor was really helpful and basically said that the bleeding happened for some but not everyone and she just wanted me to be okay. I've seen enough about nexplanon and have researched it enough to know I kind of have to be okay with irregular bleeding. I hope it doesn't lead to heavier bleeding as I like the light periods I get but this form seems quite effective and I'd prefer it for a lot of reasons.

I did look at bedsider and it mentioned headaches which could be a concern but I will be needing to see a neurologist at some point anyway so I can get in sooner and discuss headaches if necessary.

Thank you for all the help. It is appreciated.[/size]

Closed Thread