TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

The IUD - August 30th 2019, 02:11 PM

I might or might not have to get an IUD. It depends on how the testing for another condition goes. If I don't have that condition, the endocrinologist said I'll probably need an IUD since I'm on the highest dose pill for people of reproductive age and the implant and shot stopped working for me.

I have vaginismus, so I'm wondering if they'd be able to put me to sleep or something to insert it? I know they normally don't and it's normally an in-office procedure. If they do can put me to sleep, would it have to be done in a hospital and what's recovery like?

Has anyone else had any experience with an IUD helping their periods?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Online
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: The IUD - August 30th 2019, 04:34 PM

I've had an IUD for years now. I started out with the Paragard but the periods were so awful they landed me in the ER, so I switched the Mirena. It had hormones and if you are resistant to hormonal contraceptives it might not be the best choice but I have no periods. I'm in love with it!

There are several IUDs out there now and I would discuss with your doctor what the best one is. The main difference is most of them have hormones and last for varying lengths of time (five years or less) and the Paragard is hormone-free and lasts for ten years. I would discuss with your doctor which option they think is best for you.

I will say that the pain of insertion and removal is quite unpleasant. It's hurts more for some than others, but if you can be prepared to have a day off if you get the procedure done, no matter if it's with or without anesthesia.

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Resilient Offline
Unbreakable

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: The IUD - September 10th 2019, 05:48 PM

HIYA! I'm getting the IUD too! My doctor suggested Mirena as I had Skyla fall out on me. She said it's a smidge bigger, the Mirena. I loved my IUD and it helped me loads. My cramping was non existent after about a week from insertion and my periods are non existent as well! I had mine done in office but I'm not a virgin. My friend was considering the IUD and she has not even used tampons before. Her doctor was considering giving her anesthesia (putting her in twilight sleep) to insert it but she decided not to go that route. They would have done this all in the hospital to her.

As far as my recovery, I was sore for about a day but was still able to work and I worked fast food it's like severe period cramps afterwards, and during it's like contractions when you give birth, or so I was told. My doctor recommended taking some over the counter ibuprofen, if you want the dosage she told me to take you can PM me on FB or on here and I will reply the amount. Insertion for me was a breeze, and the doctor said I did remarkably well, however, I do have a high pain tolerance.

Keep in mind, everyone is different and if you have any questions about the process through the eyes of someone who went through it you can always come to me :3 Getting the IUD was the best decision I have ever made.

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: The IUD - September 15th 2019, 09:40 PM

My GYN wasn’t too thrilled with the idea of the IUD when I called. I see her next month so I’ll discuss more options. Since it doesn’t seem like I’ll be getting one I’ll be closing this.

Closed Thread