TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

View Poll Results: Do your parents know you're sexually active?
Yes 33 41.77%
I think so 11 13.92%
Not sure 10 12.66%
No 25 31.65%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 09:44 PM

So I was just wondering how many people's parents actually know.

There's the obvious yes option if you've told your parents, or the no option if you're sure they've no idea. But I also added "Not sure" in case you really don't know, and "I think so" if you think they're suspicious but you've not actually told them.

Mine's I think so ... mum knows I'm on the pill and lets my boyfriend stay overnight so I guess she'll be suspicious.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 09:49 PM

I am verryyyy sure my parents know haha. They don't really care
Heh.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 09:50 PM

I think so.
My boyfriend stays over at my house and I stay at his. She seen us asleep in the same bed last week (but didnt say anything) and she knows I'm on the pill. But I havent actually told her or she hasnt asked anything.
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
xander Offline
Average Joe

Name: xander

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 09:53 PM

ha, my gf's mum thinks we are, but we arent, and its annoying shes goin out of her way to stop us from bein alone.... its not working, she sort of knows were doin other things, and my dad has a clue lol

XANDER

am i in love? or am i being used?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 09:54 PM

Yep. I told her.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 09:57 PM

I don't know really how to answer this one. I have had a pregnancy scare that they know about, I think I made my mom believe that I was still a virgin.

You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 10:13 PM

My mum thinks so, she knows I'm on the pill and she lets my boyfriend stay over. And she found handcuffs attached to my bed today.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 10:42 PM

i haven't told my mum, but i'm assuming she knows!. she's not bothered though. i'm legal, on the injection and it's not like i sleep around.. so she's cool with it.

actually come to think of it..
i was asked if i was sexually active by one of my doctors a while ago and my mum was in ear shot.. so she probably heard it, not that she commented.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 11:07 PM

I voted not sure. I haven't spoken about it before to her, but there have been a few times where she's walked in on things and not seen much (even though it wasn't full on sex anyways), and she's probably thought that I was having sex. Just never asked her to find out about it, and she hasn't let a boyfriend stay over.

Thinking about it actually, there was a time where my boyfriend at the time left a packet of condoms on my dresser, she probably noticed those.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Fallen Angel Offline
Broken Pieces of Destiny
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Chelsea

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 11:36 PM

Mine know. My counsellor told my head of house, who then rang to tell them.. I was not impressed.

There'sAlwaysFreeCheeseInsideTheRatTrap . . . .

www.formspring.me/squishyspoons
  Send a message via MSN to Fallen Angel Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Angel 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 11:39 PM

Well my mom decided to read my journal one day ... so I know she knows. My dad might be still in the dark ...

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 20th 2009, 11:49 PM

My mom knows. And I'm on birth control and I sleep at my boyfriend's so..

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
andie09 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Andrea

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 03:37 AM

They are suspicious of the entire thing but I haven't really came out and said anything so I don't know if they know or not.

~Andie~

(\__/)
(=.=)
()_()
hehe...it's a bunny!!!

(#14 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 03:39 AM

I am a virgin, but I plan on telling my mom because I want to be on the pill. My sister told her, and she's cool and I know it won't be a big deal. She'll just be like "Use a condom. I'll make an appointment with the OBGYN..."
lol

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Ghost View Post
And she found handcuffs attached to my bed today.

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
xoitsmyss Offline
Baby don't give up on me
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Myss

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 04:23 AM

They know.. and needless to say, they're not thrilled.

i'm just me.
don't look for any explanation,
because i don't have one.
  Send a message via AIM to xoitsmyss  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Doyce(D.J.)

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 04:42 AM

i went with i think so.
she's never seen us(that i know of)
and i've never told her.
but she isn't stupid, i'm sure she knows that we do stuff

a strong man stands up for himself
a stronger man stands up for others
  Send a message via AIM to Disturbedrox2011  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Smitten Offline
WRINGL
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Smitten

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 05:09 AM

Er... Yeah.
I am 100% sure for the following reasons:
1. I have condoms in 2 different cabinets. (a cabinet of about 50 in my "Love-in" and about 25 in my room)
2. The contents of my bedside table's drawer are as follows -takes inventory-
A. one box of 25 assorted condoms
B. one pair cheetah print handcuffs
C. Japanese Love rope
D. one egg vibrator
E. one jar chocolate body paint
F. KY assorted warming massage oils/personal lubricants
G. one bottle of KY Intense female arousal enhancer ($28.99 for 20 applications o.o')
H. The SAS Survival Handbook for any climate in any situation By: John "Lofty" Wiseman (I guess that has nothing to do with sex.. xD )
I. other things I don't feel like looking for right now... -_-

3. They walked in on me and my last girlfriend doing the act. thats the last time they entered my "love-in" without knocking, also the last time I did not dead-bolt the door shut.. lawl.

4. After they walked in on us I had a nice chat with them about respecting my privacy.. for those reasons. Cus I like sex. Alot. So back off. Sex. rawr

You know you are on the precipice of greatness when you feel joy, fear, and the butterflies of change all at the same time.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
UnknownLife Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kris

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 05:44 AM

Yep my folks went through my night stand by my bed and found a LOT of used condom wrappers. Then I had snuck my girlfriend out where I live and work and after an enjoyable night had hickies all over my neck and didn't know it and my dad saw them and bitched me out for having her there and having sex out there. Then proceeded to get my mom and sat both of us down to say how much he disapproved of us sleeping together lol

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Leo Offline
Average Joe

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 06:48 AM

I honestly don't know. Im sure my dad suspects that I am because several months ago I accidentally forgot to *coughs* delete some detailed texts from his phone. They weren't about "sex" but just about messing around so I'm sure he suspects that im having sex by now. but as far as my mom is concerned I have no clue if she suspects or not.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 08:34 AM

I've been on birth control since I was about 15, and they didn't think I was active with my boyfriend then, but I was. But now ... well my mum makes passing comments, like when I got my implant removed and went back on the pill she said "I thought you needed that for contraception seeing as you're bad at remembering pills" and if I moan about belly weight "are you sure you're not pregnant". I don't really wanna tell her outright so I'll just let her assume for now

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#22 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 10:11 AM

yh i think it's obvious they know.
i've been on the pill for a while and my mum knows i have condoms in my bed side cabinet, ahh well they aren't too bothered to be fair.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 11:45 AM

My Mum knows but my Dad doesn't.

My boyfriends Mum and Dad both know, the found an empty box of condoms that my boyfriend threw out. They were fine with it, just happy we were being safe and not doing it in the streets or something.

My boyfriends Mum phoned my Mum to let her know and my Mum wasn't too bothered either, she put me on the Pill when I was about 14 for period reasons so she knows about that. My Mum never told my Dad because his is quite oer protective because I am his "baby" it is easier to let him go on oblivious.

My Mum told my boyfriends Mum that I am on the Pill, so they were both quite proud that we were using condoms aswell. I don't think they are too happy about us having sex but we are both of legal age so they can't really stop us and they know we are being safe. They both know if they did try to stop us then we would find a way around it and the one thing they don't want is us doing it in the local park like a lot of people my age here do, so they are going to carry on letting us have sex in my house or his house as we were.

About a week after they found out it was never mentioned again, I don't think they like to think about it too much.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 12:24 PM

I haven't told them or anything but I'm going to assume that they probably have guessed so I'll say I think so.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 02:13 PM

Considering I'm married, I'm sure they have a pretty good idea.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Em... Offline
smile; it looks good on you.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: E

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 02:49 PM

I've had sex twice with my first love, then I stopped the relationship, and HE TOLD MY MUM. Like three months after we had it, he told her, and she came into my room and was like "what have you and derrick done?" and I knew that she knew, so I told her, but she informed me that he told her. Then she got made at me because I didn't come to her.

And now when we fight, she likes to bring up the fact that I'm not a virgin, like it's the end of the world now. It's quite annoying really. Gosh, yeah it's just real irksome.

I thought I might add, that my mum is okay with the idea of me having sex, as long as I'm using protection. My dad said if he finds out that I'm having it in the house, I'm going to be kicked out. It was a huge argument really.

Last edited by Em...; August 21st 2009 at 03:02 PM.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
ladyninetyfour Offline
<3 Utterly Invincible <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bex

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
ha, my gf's mum thinks we are, but we arent, and its annoying shes goin out of her way to stop us from bein alone.... its not working, she sort of knows were doin other things, and my dad has a clue lol

Hahaha. My mum and dad know I'm a virgin, but I do other stuff. So they won't let me take my bf upto my room... but I'm like, if you don't let me experiment and do stuff in my own home, im just gonna get restless and be naughty in public parks and stuff... which I do.
xoxox Bex xoxox

Where there's love, there's hope
You cannot destroy me!
xoxox PunkRoxS9 xoxox

Last SH: 03/08/09
  Send a message via MSN to ladyninetyfour  
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 07:10 PM

I think my mum thinks that I'm sexually active but I really am not. It's a terribly long and embarrassing story.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#29 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 07:22 PM

I managed to keep it from my parents for a year after I'd lost my virginity until I needed to tell her I was going on the pill...and then it came out. To be honest though, I'm eighteen and at that stage had been with my boyfriend for mooonths, so she probably had some fair idea.
The other night I announced that I was sleeping at my boyfriend's house, and my dad dropped me over... a scenario I NEVER pictured happening in my life.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Nl a shltear mar a bhtear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 09:10 PM

My mum i guess thought i was having sex with my ex for a few reasons even though i wasnt and never did (but she would have been certain we were doing other things which we were.)
- when she pointed out the lots of lovebites on my neck
- when we were planning to have sex a durex leaflet of how to put a condom on was left on my floor which im certain she saw (stuff got in the way so we didnt even have sex but she must have thought we did.)
- the fact that we would disappear up to my room for hours fooling around and listening to music.

With the person im with now; she probably thinks i havent had sex with him even though i have. (we havent been seeing each other long)

So i guess i will put "I think so"
even if it is the other way round to who she thinks.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Half doomed and semi-sweet <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rhia.

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 10:41 PM

My mom has always assumed the worst in me.
If I even had a male friend, of which I have many, she'd assume I was sleeping with him. WHATTHEHELL?

H a p p i n e s s.
  Send a message via MSN to 20 Dollar Nose Bleed  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
GroovyDoodle Offline
Average Joe

Name: Maeve

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 21st 2009, 10:53 PM

I voted "no," though I probably should have put "I don't know". She's asked me twice during conversations, but I haven't answered her because I think I'm afraid to. lol But I'll tell her before my first OB/GYN appointment because my doctor will notice I'm not a virgin then and may tell her.

Send a message via AIM to GroovyDoodle  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Khadra Offline
got hitched!! <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathlene

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 22nd 2009, 05:35 AM

I had to tell my mom recently because she kept insisting I get the HPV shot. I kept just telling her I didn't want the shot but then she got angry at me, so I told her and she left me alone. lol And my dad has no clue.

It's not socialism. It's CIVILIZATION.
- a woman from Denmark (the happiest country on Earth)

Once you choose hope, anything is possible - Christopher Reeves

Drop a pm in my box if you ever need anything. I'll always do my best to help! <3

(#34 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 23rd 2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
Er... Yeah.
I am 100% sure for the following reasons:
1. I have condoms in 2 different cabinets. (a cabinet of about 50 in my "Love-in" and about 25 in my room)
2. The contents of my bedside table's drawer are as follows -takes inventory-
A. one box of 25 assorted condoms
B. one pair cheetah print handcuffs
C. Japanese Love rope
D. one egg vibrator
E. one jar chocolate body paint
F. KY assorted warming massage oils/personal lubricants
G. one bottle of KY Intense female arousal enhancer ($28.99 for 20 applications o.o')
H. The SAS Survival Handbook for any climate in any situation By: John "Lofty" Wiseman (I guess that has nothing to do with sex.. xD )

4. After they walked in on us I had a nice chat with them about respecting my privacy.. for those reasons. Cus I like sex. Alot. So back off. Sex. rawr .

heehee, your post made me laugh.

Indeed. Sex. Rawr.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Terra Rae Offline
Telescope <3
Not a n00b

Name: Terra Rae

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 23rd 2009, 10:47 PM

Yes, my mother knows. I told her shortly after I lost my virginity, just because I know she would want me to. We trust each other quite a bit, and she wasn't angry, infact she said "I knew already, but I'm glad you told me yourself." Funny story, my boyfriend at the time was dumb and flushed the condom down the toilet. It clogged and my mom had to fish it out. Harr harr.
My father STILL doesn't know (over a year later) and he's driven me to a gynecologist appointment, knowing what it was. Is he stupid or just in a state of chronic denial? I don't know. Either way, his ignorance is priceless. Oh, dad. xD

Don't patronize,
I realize,
I'm losing and this is my
real life.

"The way to a man's heart truly is through his stomach. None of those pesky ribs to stab through." <3

(#36 (permalink)) Old
One of those old people ;)
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 23rd 2009, 11:31 PM

ha im divorced with a kid... im pretty sure they have figured it out. lol

"omg i might be pregnant!?!?!"

"ok..calm down..pee on your keyboard...nope its negative"

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Tegan Offline
Make a wish...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tegan

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 23rd 2009, 11:42 PM

My parents definately do not know.
They would blow a complete fuse.
Long story short: I lost my virginity to someone I was in love with, don't regret it. Then spent a while sleeping around after I lost him. Finally got a grip and am currently not having sex at all. bingo (Y)

You are the one, the one who lies next to me,
Whispers "hello, I missed you quite terribly"

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Grizabella Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jessica

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 24th 2009, 02:49 AM

I'm pretty sure my mother knows. We've never really talked about it, but she knows I sleep out at my partners' houses, so I'd assume she's figured it out.

Not around so much now that school's started

"Live a good life.
If there are gods and they are just,
then they will not care how devout you have been,
but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by.
If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them.
If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life
that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
Marcus Aurelius

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Liss Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 24th 2009, 09:03 PM

No idea seen as never told them about my boyfriend who i was with for 9months and he's the only person ive actually had sex with, have slept with other lads but not had sex.

So no idea if they know or suspect, seen as i am 18 so they maybe think i probly will, but dont intend on telling them or even ever mentioning my boyfriend well ex now lol

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Marie Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Are Your Parents Aware That You Are Sexually Active? - August 26th 2009, 03:03 AM

My parents 100% know I am not a virgin. Told them myself to their faces.
They in no way know anything about my sex life.
They probably think Ive done it once (the time I lost it haha) and thats it.
Theyd be horrified to know the truth.
Absolutely horrified.
Probably disappointed as well tbh

Closed Thread