TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 06:18 PM

I used to be on the pill for a while, and eventually I just stopped getting my period all together, cuz it freaked me out.

Now I'm on the depo shot (my periods were bad, so I figured, hey! just get rid of it again!) so I don't get my period anymore. But since I'm in a relationship and my boyfriend and I have sex a decent amount, I don't like not getting my period, because I'd have to take a test to see if I'm pregnant or not.

If the pill made my period go away, is there any form of birth control that won't?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 06:24 PM

Well, My fiancee is currently on the depo shot as well. And basically...yes...you have to take a pregnancy test. We don't have sex that frequently, but every time we do, she takes a pregnancy test after about two weeks after each...'encounter' to check if she is pregnant. So far so good :P

Most birth control effects your period in one way or another. Most of them making them lighter or less tramatic. If you have a serious concern about this, I would talk to your doctor about it.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 06:25 PM

I'm basically just trying to figure out if there's a method of bc that wouldn't make my period disappear.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 06:37 PM

I don't think you need to take a pregnancy test if you're on the depo shot. I think the point of it is that you're protected all the time if you're getting the shots at the right time.

I'm not too sure why you didn't get a period when you we're on the pill. I'm on the pill and I still get one. Maybe it was the brand of pill that you were on. And you could try a different brand if you still wanted a period. Your doctor will be able to help you decide what type of birth control would be right for you.

Take care.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 06:43 PM

The depo shot isn't 100%, so I still check every now and then.
The only problem is that I don't have another dr's appointment until January.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 06:45 PM

You could always make one? It may take a few attempts to find the BC solution that works for you, and you might need to try a few different things. But you'll find it in the end.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 06:49 PM

The depo shot that I most recently got is going to be effective til January though, so I can't go on anything else before then.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 06:51 PM

I would hate to go on birth control that would stop my period because I would end up taking a pregnancy test every time I have sex just to put my mind at ease because right now I use my period to let me know I'm not pregnant.

This is the only thing stopping me going on the shot or the implant. I am starting get sick of taking my pill...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 09:19 PM

one thing I just thought of... (I know...guy commenting on a girls thread :P ) But this is a good idea!!!

If you are on something the takes your period away completely, take a pregnancy test once a month, as if it was period. Like the first sunday of the month, take a test just to make sure. It will save you from pissing through like...15 pregnancy test a mon if you have sex frequently. Not only that but most pregnancy test aren't accurate until a week or two after conception, which can take place up to 36 hours after sex itself. So takign a pregnancy test RIGHT after sex is just silly :P

and even with the Depo shot, it's 97%-99% effective. Yes, it covers you all the time if you get the booster shots, but there is still a problility that you could get pregnant. Again, the BEST contraceptive is total sexual abstainace (Only one recorded case in histroy where it didn't work :P) but in lue of that (If that just won't fly for you or your partner), would be using two contraceptives, such as a condom and the Depo shot. This again is NOT 100% effective, but condoms are 99% effective (if used correctly) and again, depo is 97%-99%... I don't think Sprem has a chance against your Iron Cervix.

OK...that's all (gets off soapbox)

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeto-X View Post
one thing I just thought of... (I know...guy commenting on a girls thread :P ) But this is a good idea!!!

If you are on something the takes your period away completely, take a pregnancy test once a month, as if it was period. Like the first sunday of the month, take a test just to make sure. It will save you from pissing through like...15 pregnancy test a mon if you have sex frequently. Not only that but most pregnancy test aren't accurate until a week or two after conception, which can take place up to 36 hours after sex itself. So takign a pregnancy test RIGHT after sex is just silly :P
I know how a pregnancy test works so of course I would wait until 2 weeks after to take it, that is what I meant by after sex. Also taking it monthly is fine and that is what I would do but there is no point taking one once a month if I haven't had sex that month...
I cannot afford to buy a pregnancy test every month, the birth control is free but the tests aren't. OK now with my period I have to buy pads and tampons but my Mum buys them in bulk as we both use them but if I needed a pregnancy test I would have to buy it myself and I do not have that money available.

Quote:
and even with the Depo shot, it's 97%-99% effective. Yes, it covers you all the time if you get the booster shots, but there is still a problility that you could get pregnant. Again, the BEST contraceptive is total sexual abstainace (Only one recorded case in histroy where it didn't work :P) but in lue of that (If that just won't fly for you or your partner), would be using two contraceptives, such as a condom and the Depo shot. This again is NOT 100% effective, but condoms are 99% effective (if used correctly) and again, depo is 97%-99%... I don't think Sprem has a chance against your Iron Cervix.

OK...that's all (gets off soapbox)
Right now I am on the pill and use a condom and the effectiveness is pretty much the same but if things did go wrong and I got pregnant I wouldn't know until symptoms appeared where as now I know from if I miss my period.
I prefer to know I am not pregnant rather than assume it. If I just assumed I wasn't and turned out I was it would most likely be too late to get an abortion if that is what I wanted to do.

I do over think this and I am overly paranoid about getting pregnant because I know I wouldn't be able to support myself and a baby and it would also cause problems with my education, future career and family life.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: Birth Control = No Period? Not a fan. - October 22nd 2010, 09:40 PM

Using a condom as well as the depo shot isn't an option, unfortunately. He can't finish if he uses a condom.

Closed Thread