TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Will the doctor tell my mom I am sexually active? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t69471-will-doctor-tell-my-mom-i-am-sexually-active/)

The Kira March 15th 2011 10:52 PM

Will the doctor tell my mom I am sexually active?

Well, I have to go to the doctor soon, for the first time since becoming sexually active. For the first time since September 2009 actually.

And I am sure that the doctor will ask me if I am sexually active, and I dont know what to do.
Will my mom be there when she is asking these questions? SHould I lie? WIll she check and most importantly, will she tell my mom?
I think my mom would kill me, honestly...

I am paranoid :?

Xineas March 15th 2011 11:13 PM

Re: Will the doctor tell my mom I am sexually active?

The doctor will most likely ask you, yes, but as far as I know, doctor-patient appointments are confidential and doctors may only share the information with certain people if you give permission.

I doubt they will check, if I'm right they only check if there's something wrong down there, not just because you've said you're sexually active.

But I'm not a girl, so don't pin me down on it...

Also, if you're afraid your mom will find out, you can always choose to tell your mom beforehand. Sure she won't like it at first, but talk about it with her, explain your side of the story and listen to her side. If you do choose to do so, don't act like it's nothing, be really serious and don't smile. If you show her you're mature enough, she'll react much more positive than when you're acting like it's nothing to lose your V.

No matter what you do, good luck!

*CatchingStars* March 15th 2011 11:32 PM

the doctor cant tell anything to your parents unless it endagers your life but this is in the US so idk where u live but thats the rules here so the doctor prob wont tell and if u dont want ur mom to know make sure thae doctor knows this to good luck
love coco

Harmony♥ March 15th 2011 11:40 PM

It's most likely you'll go into the examination room alone, just you and your doctor. I don't think they let anyone else into the room except the two of you, unless you ask for special permission. But, just in case, tell your mom that you'd feel more comfortable if she'd wait in the waiting area while you go through the examination, or whatever it is your going to the doctor for.
It's true that your doctor will end up asking if your sexually active, and due to paitent-doctor confidentiality, you can tell them to please not inform your mother, and they have to keep that a secret, even if your mother asks. If not, the doctor is going against their hypcratic oath they took when they became a doctor and got end up losing their license for it.
No worries. Take our advice and your mother shouldn't know.
Are you going to the doctor to get some form of birth control? If not, since your sexually active, you can visit the Planned Parenthood's to get birth control without your parents knowing. It's best to get on it now to reduce the chances of an unwanted pregnancy.

Skeleton March 15th 2011 11:44 PM

The doctor will only ask if your sexually active if it is at all related to what you're going to the doctors about and if it is something related to that, just tell your mum that you want to go in alone (if you can) and then if the doctor asks, you can answer honestly. As for telling you mum, I don't think they're allowed to unless you tell them that it's okay to do so.

Sythan March 15th 2011 11:50 PM

If it is for a regular check up, most likely he will not ask you about your personal life.

Troubled_Heart March 19th 2011 04:47 PM

You will have to see the doctor on your own for your mum not to happen. The doc is then not allowed to tell your mum as it is doc/patient confidentiality. You are also 15 so it is unlikely she will see it as a big deal - I heard that by 14 the majority of teens/a high % have had sex with 5 people. You can always ask your doc not to say anything to your mum if you are in there on your own and she won't. If your mum is in there you should lie unless it effects what you are being checked up on. You could always tell your doc seperately if need be. Good Luck. PM me if you wana talk! <3