TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
heather_tate19 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Heather

How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 01:55 PM

when dating someone new, how long do you guys/girls usually wait before being sexually active with them? (this includes oral, intercourse,...,etc)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 03:19 PM

Short answer: Depends.

Long version:
How are you measuring "How long?" -> number of dates? length of time you've known them? For instance - Person A I go out with for two weeks and in that time we go on six or seven dates because we're giddy about each other and then have sex, but with Person B I see twice for 1 full day each in again two weeks because we live far away from each other..... do you see those differently? Are they the same because I waited two weeks in both cases? Or did I technically wait "longer" with Person A because I had more exposure to them and more time to get to know them? So that's one thought I have about it. Fyi, both situations hold true for me at different points in my sex life.

Another is - what age are you talking about? Because over the past few years I've tended to wait shorter and shorter time periods as sexuality became something I was more comfortable with (then again it could go the other way as you learn respect for your sexual well being).

One thing that does hold true for me (generally speaking) is that if I'm *dating* someone (as opposed to taking them home for the night) and see it going anywhere emotionally, I will not have sex with them the first night we spend together (note I'm not even saying the first date, just the first time we sleep together). Exploring our bodies in other ways is fine, and it gives me time to talk more to them about expectations and likes and dislikes and contraception and that kind of shit that you usually need to get out of the way.

But beyond that, it's been up to two months I think. I think that would probably be way too long for me to manage now (unless my partner really needed that time to get comfortable), and you're looking at more like a couple days of getting to know each other (whether that's spread out or not).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 03:37 PM

It really depends on a lot of different factors.

For me, I usually wait at least one month before starting to get sexual, with things like foreplay. I usually wait about two months before we actually have sex. However, again it really depends. Like with my current boyfriend, it only took us about 3 weeks to start having sex. This was primarily because I had known him and was very close to him for two years before we got together, and because we'd both had very strong feelings for each other for a long time. I've now been with him for going on 5 months, and I don't regret it at all.

However, you should be careful about when you have sex. Only do it if you're sure you're ready, and don't let anyone pressure you into doing it.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 04:22 PM

To put it simply - until the time is right. It's not something to rush in to, wait until both yourself and your partner feel it the right time, and take precautions such as birth control. Communicate throughout, though, it's a good way to get to know each other, and when you are ready to take a further step. There's no 'definite' answer, I can't say that in two weeks it's time for oral, and in five it's time for intercourse! It's down to you and them!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Disneygirl94 Offline
I believe I Can Fly
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kaitlyn

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 05:09 PM

It honeslty depends on the two people. When they both feel comfortable and are ready then they can go ahead and do it. I normally wait until im comfortable with the person and that i know he isn't using me before I get into it. So it all depends if thats something you and your partner want then talk about it but if one of you doesn't want it, don't push it.

"My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. "

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 05:13 PM

I think, like other people have said, it's all about waiting until you and your partner are ready. You should never let yourself be pressurized by friends who talk about having sex on the third date, or who say you're a prude if you haven't done anything sexual with your partner.

I think you should make sure you both know each other, and what you each want from the relationship, and trust each other implicitly before you have any sexual relations. Just my view

Take as long as you need.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hollifire Offline
Smile; you're beautiful.
I've been here a while

Name: Holly

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 05:39 PM

For me it really honestly depends on the person. If we've been friends for a while and then got together, it would happen a lot sooner because we'd already be comfortable with one another. But if we just met and started out dating, it would take a lot longer because we'd be getting to know each other. It could be as simple as the first night, or a couple months later. Either way, if we're both feeling it, it's going to happen & I'm not going to feel bad about it. =)

PM VM

x See the trick is that you're never supposed to act on it
No matter how unbearable this misery gets x

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 05:54 PM

A couple of hours. But seriously, it depends on the girl and when she's comfortable. Generally speaking I'm comfortable with having sex almost immediately, so she gets to set the pace. However, I wouldn't get into an exclusive relationship with someone that hasn't already had sex with me. That's just asking for trouble.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 06:00 PM

Simple: when I feel ready.
I don't have a time limit, I go by my comfort zone. If I'm not comfortable with something, I'm not gonna do it. If I do, then I will.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: How long do you wait? - March 27th 2012, 07:19 PM

It totally depends on the couple. For my first boyfriend, we waited like 9 months since we were both virgins. However with my last boyfriend, we only waited a few weeks. It's whatever is comfortable for both people.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: How long do you wait? - March 28th 2012, 03:49 AM

It depends on when it feels right for me as well. Its usually around a couple weeks to a month.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: How long do you wait? - March 28th 2012, 04:23 AM

It completely depends on the couple, and who's more comfortable with what. There is this generalization that men are ready before women. Wrong. Everyone has their own way of dealing with things, and I have known men who have waited longer than most of the woman I know.

For me personally, with my first serious boyfriend, I waited two months. I wasn't quite comfortable with him until that point in the relationship, and I was ready to take such a big step in my life. With my current boyfriend, I waited two weeks. We had been intimate before (crazy night, no need for details), so it wasn't as scary as it was the first time around. I wasn't "new" to the sex scene by that point. As far as others, there aren't any. I've only been with the two people I've mentioned above. It just depends on how comfortable I am, how comfortable they are, and if we have lines drawn.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: How long do you wait? - March 28th 2012, 04:46 AM

It depends. My current partner and I waited...2 1/2 years. We started dating very young, and overall were too immature and busy to really figure things out til later. We waited until we were ready, and it was perfect. If somehow we were to not be together, I wouldn't wait as long since I am older, it would depend on the relationship. There is no "right time," it depends on the person, your age, and what you are looking for in the relationship.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
pinktoast Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How long do you wait? - March 28th 2012, 05:32 AM

Wait as long as YOU want to wait and don't do it a second sooner. And please, please, please use birth control and practice safe sex. You do not want to be a teenage parent.

My favorite read right now.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: How long do you wait? - March 29th 2012, 12:22 AM

Generally speaking I don't wait very long if I am comfortable with the person and we are both comfortable going forward. I've engaged in sexual activities on the first date, or, in most of my relationship cases, I've actually been sexually involved with someone before dating.

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
Closed Thread