TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Potty Training - February 5th 2015, 03:58 PM

Does anyone have any advice for Potty training? Ava is almost two and refuses to wear a diaper during the day, but doesn't want to go potty in her potty either. Any advice would be great!

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Exulansis Offline
I don't exist anymore.
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: Potty Training - February 6th 2015, 01:20 AM

What we do at work is positive reinforcement. Some kids just aren't ready, so first try giving stickers for sitting on the toilet than maybe a candy for using it. Or buy a chart and when she fills it up she can pick out a toy. Kids like prizes so if she is ready she will hop on board after a short time of encouragement. Good luck . All kids are different so try different strategies every two weeks until one works

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Exulansis:
The tendency to give up trying to talk about an experience because people are unable to relate to it.

I'm the unicorn queen, you must bow before me

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Potty Training - February 6th 2015, 01:21 AM

Thank you.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Potty Training - February 6th 2015, 01:26 AM

I'm not really keen on the reward thing especially when it has to do with natural bodily needs, but I'm guessing I'm not entitled to speak. What happens when she has to use the bathroom? Does she tell you? Could she perhaps start using the adult toilets instead of the kid ones? Maybe set up a stool and put a seat over the toilet so she doesn't fall in. It could be she just doesn't want to use HER toilet. :PP

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Potty Training - February 6th 2015, 01:39 AM

I could try to let her use the bigger ones, any advice is great advice! Thank you so much

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Potty Training - February 17th 2015, 01:17 PM

Does she seem to understand what going to the bathroom is? Does she know when she needs to go? Can she follow simple instructions? These are the most important signs of readiness. If she isn't doing at least one of these then she likely isn't ready to be potty trained. If that's the case You could try getting her to wear pull ups or training pants instead if she doesn't like to wear her diaper. When your changing her diaper if your having a hard time getting her to hold still to put it back on some of the things I have done: Give her a toy or a book to play with while your changing her or give her a bottle to drink or turn on the tv to her favourite show to distract her. Then make sure you put pants on so it will be harder for her to take it off again. As for potty training I haven't got that far yet so all I know is there are a lot of different ways to try it and it can take some time to find the way that works for your daughter.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Potty Training - February 17th 2015, 02:26 PM

She CAN go potty if she wants to, it just seems like most of the time she is more interested in trying to go in the litter box, or in the floor, and she has been in pull ups for awhile now, I've just gotten in the habit of calling them diapers. We recently bought her a sesame street potty training video, being as Sesame Street is her favorite show, and she seems more inclined to sit on her potty now, as well as try and go. She has went pee in her potty twice now, but before, she would sit on her potty, then stand up and go somewhere else when she needed to pee. I'm in hopes that if she sees Elmo go potty, she will want to try and go potty as well. Thank you guys for all the advice. It all helps a ton. c:

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Exulansis Offline
I don't exist anymore.
I've been here a while

Name: Corri

Re: Potty Training - February 19th 2015, 07:06 PM

That is adorable. Good luck with it and hope she learns fast less money buying diapers. But maybe if she likes sesame street try some Sesame Street underwear and it may cause lots of laundry trips but it will get her used to wearing underwear. Good luck once again

Life is too

Short to spend

It at war with

Yourself.

Exulansis:
The tendency to give up trying to talk about an experience because people are unable to relate to it.

I'm the unicorn queen, you must bow before me

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Potty Training - February 19th 2015, 08:19 PM

Lol I had the same thought and bought some Elmo panties. Thank you so much for all the wonderful advice.

Closed Thread