TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LANIKA Offline
blue steel
Not a n00b

Name: Lanika

Points: 8,720, Level: 13 Points: 8,720, Level: 13 Points: 8,720, Level: 13

April 15th 2015, 10:34 PM

Hey,

I'll preface this by saying that I am a weight restored anorectic who had lost her period for nearly half a year; I had occasional spotting, however, but it would often last only a day. I had my first "real" period last month which lasted a good five days, was quite heavy, lots of cramps - The real deal, basically. Anyway, on Monday, the day my period would be due, I had mild cramps in the early morning and bled a bit and continued to for the day, but since then nothing. I have been engaging in disordered eating recently, though nothing too severe, and the period flow heavily resembled what brief occurrences of spotting had been like during the months before last. It would be easy to write off as that if I hadn't been having ( protected with condoms + withdrawal ) sex recently.

I plan on getting a pregnancy test tomorrow, but I still feel kind of stressed out and would like somebody else's opinion -

Does it sound like implantation bleeding or regular spotting?

Also, would taking a test now be the best idea? I've had friends tell me to wait a few days, but idk.

Last edited by Eternal; April 17th 2015 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Double post.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Implantation bleeding or period? - April 16th 2015, 11:26 PM

A test would only be accurate if it has been at least fourteen days since you have had sex. So you need to wait until at least the two week mark. If it has been two weeks an over the counter pregnancy test should give an accurate reading.

There are so many different things this could be, its impossible to tell just by a description over the internet. A pregnancy test is really your best option at this point. If it comes up negative and you are still having irregularities with your period you should probably speak to your doctor. There are things they can do to help get you on a more regular cycle.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
LANIKA Offline
blue steel
Not a n00b

Re: Implantation bleeding or period? - April 17th 2015, 02:54 AM

My physician is aware of the issue and is pretty firm on allowing my period to return/regulate naturally. But -- Yes, you're right. Thank you, I'll take a test.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Implantation bleeding or period? - April 17th 2015, 07:12 PM

I just wanted to add that implantation bleeding is usually pink or dark in color i believe, so if your spotting was fresh blood red it likely was just your period. But as Lizzie said, it's hard to say.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Implantation bleeding or period? - April 17th 2015, 07:44 PM

I agree that this is a hard question to answer over the internet. I think the best thing you can do is take a pregnancy test 2 weeks from the time you last had sex. If you don't wait the two weeks it could come back with the wrong results.

Best of luck.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
LANIKA Offline
blue steel
Not a n00b

Re: Implantation bleeding or period? - April 17th 2015, 08:55 PM

Thank you both. The spotting initially seemed like "fresh blood-like" but by the end of the day it was much closer to a dark brown. It also was two weeks yesterday, but I wasn't able to get a pregnancy test like I wanted and am starting to stress out more. I'll get one soon, though. \: Would a dollar store test work just as well as a more expensive one?
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Implantation bleeding or period? - April 19th 2015, 03:08 PM

Implantation bleeding comes in all shapes and sizes. It's heaviness and color can vary widely, which is why I said its impossible to tell from a description what it really is.

I personally would not trust a dollar store test. You want a test that you can trust to give you an accurate response. Most name brand tests do not cost that much more.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
LANIKA Offline
blue steel
Not a n00b

Re: Implantation bleeding or period? - April 20th 2015, 06:30 AM

No, I do understand that - But Eumoirous mentioned coloration as well so I thought I would mention it. \:

I do realize at this point that nobody can really tell, I mostly made this initially because I was so nervous. A lot of that anxiety has waned, though, and I think for the most part of was being pretty irrational. We've never used a condom incorrectly and he's never ejaculated inside of me, even with one on, so I know - I KNOW - that the chances are very slim. I''m sure that it comes down to just. . . Me. Weight yo-yoing a lot and stress.

Anyway I. . . Will probably take a pregnancy test still just to double check, but I'm really not too concerned at this point. ( Is that reckless? :\ It doesn't feel like it is. . . If I had engaged in "riskier" sex I would be just as alarmed, if not more, than I was when I first made this thread - But I haven't so I just feel like I was overreacting) I did some googling after asking about the dollar store pregnancy tests, and it sounds like they're just as sensitive. . . But, I do appreciate your insight, and I'll opt for a more expensive brand. A false negative wouldn't be good, I do know that much. :\
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Implantation bleeding or period? - April 20th 2015, 10:15 PM

There's no difference between dollar store and name brand ones. Here's a scientific study, and I found many other sources on Google saying so as well. I would definitely take a pregnancy test, but also wouldn't worry so much; if you used a condom during sexual relations, so you weren't engaging in extremely risky sex, so this is likely just spotting. In the future, you maybe should consider another birth control method with condoms just so that you and your partner can be more at ease.

something burning?
Closed Thread