TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Let's celebrate!
(Click me to find out why.)
Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
19O1 Offline
Nyne
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tyye

Post PMS VS PREGNANCY - April 16th 2016, 10:23 AM

This is more of a "in need of advice/information" thread.

The basics:
  • sex on the 30th of last month. This was the ending phase of my period which is spotting. This has prompted me to lean more towards PMS.
  • Usually, a week or 2 before my period, I get light fatigue, moodiness, light cramps, tender boobs.
But, this is different!

The first thing that made me go, Wtf is wrong with my body? was my sudden slow ass bowels. I know progesterone is a leading cause in this, and this happens during periods, but it's never happened during mine or even for days. It's only been what is now day 3. I would feel the need to go, and nothing happens. It's quite embarrassing.

The second thing, nausea. Nausea woke me up at 1:30 this morning.

This has been going on for probably 5 days only. I first tied it in to some chicken, but soon found out that chicken wasn't the culprit! Yesterday I had it 3 times; morning-evening-night., and the third was accompanied by a stomach ache. I couldn't lay on my stomach or halfway on it because it was that uncomfortable. This morning, was the same way. The feeling to vomit was strong, it feels like it's literally in my throat. I hate it.

Fatigue is another thing that has me kind of off. I came home from the movies, and I just felt like I ran a marathon when all I did was eat and take pictures. I'm tired now, but it's more of a just took a sleeping pill, now it's kicking in sort of thing. I had some lower stomach pains, but they disappeared as quickly as they came. I had these twinges in my side that were annoying, but they didn't last long either. Lower Back pain I'm positive is coming from the constipation, so I'm not too worried about that. It is annoying as hell though!

But, other than this, I'm fine. No breast tenderness, no heaviness in the breasts. No frequent urination. Nada.

I'm paying attention and charting these things in my period calendar for two reasons.
1. if it happens again and it's just my period, I'll know.

2. If something different pops up, well, I'll already know the difference.

Because I'm leaning towards PMS, I'm not considering buying a test. I won't buy a test until I'm at least a bit more positive that it isn't my period and something more.

So, if there's more information and advice that can be provided for me, please do list it! If there's anything more I should pay attention to, list that too! Thank you in advance.

Last edited by 19O1; April 16th 2016 at 09:09 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: PMS VS PREGNANCY - April 16th 2016, 07:35 PM

Symptoms of pregnancy don't usually show very early on, although they may in some people. The only way you'd know for sure is with a test which I'm sure you already know.

The symptoms you're describing, including fatigue, could just be that you've come down with a bug or a virus and are just under the weather.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer

Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: PMS VS PREGNANCY - April 16th 2016, 08:54 PM

I guess the biggest question would be (the only one you didn't answer on your own) was the sex unprotected? Anytime you have sex you risk the chance of pregnancy, but having unprotected sex is extremely risky. If you don't want to be pregnant do not have unprotected sex, ever.

Like Harrison said, women don't often feel symptoms that soon. It often can take six to eight weeks to start feeling really ill. So the likelihood that this is pregnancy related is low, but not impossible. I suggest, just for peace of mind, that you take a pregnancy test. It has been at least two weeks since you had sex, so taking one now would result in an accurate result. They are easy to take and respond within minutes. You can buy one at any grocery store or pharmacy.

When it comes to a list of pregnancy symptoms, literally anything can be on it. Some women get very nasally congested, some women vomit, some women have terrible headaches. The problem with pregnancy symptoms is that they ALL can happen outside of pregnancy as well. So its impossible to tell the difference between something related to pregnancy or not without taking a pregnancy test.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
19O1 Offline
Nyne
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: PMS VS PREGNANCY - April 16th 2016, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDirtySoul View Post
Symptoms of pregnancy don't usually show very early on, although they may in some people. The only way you'd know for sure is with a test which I'm sure you already know.

The symptoms you're describing, including fatigue, could just be that you've come down with a bug or a virus and are just under the weather.
Thank you for responding However, I think it's safe to link it to PMS. I'm not sick, or have a bug at all. It's not an ongoing feeling, just kind of on and off, so I'll stick to PMS for now.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
19O1 Offline
Nyne
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: PMS VS PREGNANCY - April 16th 2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
I guess the biggest question would be (the only one you didn't answer on your own) was the sex unprotected? Anytime you have sex you risk the chance of pregnancy, but having unprotected sex is extremely risky. If you don't want to be pregnant do not have unprotected sex, ever.

Like Harrison said, women don't often feel symptoms that soon. It often can take six to eight weeks to start feeling really ill. So the likelihood that this is pregnancy related is low, but not impossible. I suggest, just for peace of mind, that you take a pregnancy test. It has been at least two weeks since you had sex, so taking one now would result in an accurate result. They are easy to take and respond within minutes. You can buy one at any grocery store or pharmacy.

When it comes to a list of pregnancy symptoms, literally anything can be on it. Some women get very nasally congested, some women vomit, some women have terrible headaches. The problem with pregnancy symptoms is that they ALL can happen outside of pregnancy as well. So its impossible to tell the difference between something related to pregnancy or not without taking a pregnancy test.
Thank you for responding I'm sorry for not including that the sex was unprotected. I kind of took a leap and assumed that it would be a given since I placed it here. Also, It's not really a "OMG am I pregnant?" concern, but more of a "can these things be tied in with both pregnancy and pms?" since I've never had any of this happen to me before. I'm still leaning towards PMS, so there's really no worry at all.

However, At 21, I really don't expect for my period to continue to shift or my PMS symptoms, since it's been the same for a while now. However, instead of just knocking this to the side like I started to, as just period nonsense, I decided to inquire and consider the possibility of pregnancy, too. I would just feel irresponsible for knocking it as one thing when it could be something else, even if it's not pregnancy. That's more of the reason for the thread.

Also, if it were to happen again, having more insight would leave me better prepared. So, again, thank you for answering.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: PMS VS PREGNANCY - April 17th 2016, 12:52 AM

It seems like you're not as worried at you were, however, in the future (or now if still needed) you can get a pregnancy test to rule it out. They're pretty affordable (less than $15 usually) and effective after 14 days of the event of conception.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: PMS VS PREGNANCY - April 17th 2016, 11:51 AM

Just wanted to add, I'm 21 and my period symptoms are still changing. I also went through a few years of being like clockwork and then they changed again in the last year.

However, if they change drastically it can be good to see a doctor as sometimes changes in your period can be symptoms of bigger issues.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread