TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Depression and Suicide If you or a loved one is feeling depressed or suicidal, you are not alone. Talk with other users about your feelings here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lin_12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,024, Level: 9 Points: 4,024, Level: 9 Points: 4,024, Level: 9

yoga for depression? - August 26th 2016, 09:23 AM

Hello, everyone!
My son is very desperate these days as his best friend has moved to NY 2 weeks before. He is not ready to involve in anything.He sits silently in his room for the whole day.During school days, he just comes back home after the school time and keeps himself locked inside his room. He is hesitant in having his food also. When I met one of his teachers, she told like he is not that old studious child as before.
After per one of my friend's suggestion, we are planning him to join him for a yoga therapy at AESM, Toronto. But I haven't heard like depressions could be cured of yoga practices.
If someone knows more about this please help me. I am much worried on this
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

Re: yoga for depression? - August 26th 2016, 02:29 PM

Hello Lin_12. Welcome to Teenhelp. I hope you're finding your way here well.

To move onto your question, this may be a complicated answer than what is expected but I will try my best to explain it. Please bear with me and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

So there is a difference between doing something as a hobby and clinical therapy by a practitioner. I am not familiar with the venue you plan to take your son, but it sounds like a studio for regular yoga goers. This does not mean it cant be helpful for him. Does he enjoy or used to enjoy doing yoga? Sometimes getting into an activity can lift his spirit, allow him to meet new people in a supportive environment and as a distraction. However, it may not treat clinical depression and the yoga instructor would not be addressing his problems or what he's going through, just provide a workout.

Now, if this is yoga therapy, which I've heard of as a clinical practice, yes it's a something people try. It is considered "alternative" or "experiential" and you may see it with the words "holistic" or "person-centered". There are other options to explore that are alternatives to traditional talk therapy. This can be Art therapy, Music therapy, Drama therapy, and nature therapy. Sometimes this is the only therapy but other times, it is a "supportive therapy" in conjunction with talk therapy. Other times, a talk psychotherapist would incorporate aspects of different therapies but not be a certified practitioner.

May I also ask how old your son is and if he has a history of mental health concerns? Different therapies work for different people but sometimes it has to do with feeling unable to speak due to a history of not speaking about emotions and that's where these alternatives may come into play. These alternatives allow the person to express themselves and heal in nonverbal ways. In the instance of yoga therapy, it would be focused on breathing and different body positions. The downside to this is that depending where you live and how your healthcare system works, you may not have it medically covered and it can be quite expensive.

Does your son have a guidance counselor? Maybe that's someone you can reach out to and then after discussing it with them, you can decide what will be the best thing for you and your son.

edit: this is more clinical than I thought. I researched the program and it says it will treat

Quote:
athletic injuries, especially from asymmetrical sports
overuse, or repetitive injuries
asthma
arthritis
stress
insomnia
fatigue
performance anxiety
depression

Since depression is included, you can give it a shot. Just keep in mind your son's preferences too though. Ask him if he is willing to try this out and listen to what he says. Keep in mind that while this had worked for the person who suggested this, it may or may not work for him.

Last edited by NeuroBeautiful; August 26th 2016 at 02:59 PM.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: yoga for depression? - August 27th 2016, 10:30 PM

Hey

I am going to be honest and say I don't know a lot behind the research about it etc but I have just been on a psych ward for three months and a man on the male ward was doing yoga a good four times a day. It brought him peace and calmness and gave him a time for his mind to settle and to be with himself in a place where he could still have distressing thoughts and feelings but he validated them and accepted them and let them pass. He finds it so helpful for his depression.

So maybe its just worth the try you know? Also mindfulness might be something you would like to look in to too

Jessie

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: yoga for depression? - August 28th 2016, 11:18 AM

I feel that what your son is experiencing is abandonment. I experienced that a month ago, and truth be told.. I can really say that loneliness and abandonment nearly killed me.. it's a miracle that I'm still here typing this stuff . xD In any other situation, i would already be six feet under. What you should encourage your son to do is join some group activities where he'll be able to find someone to keep him company, as well as ensure that his days are spent happily and that every day brings with it something more to look forward to in the future.

Being studious might also be part of it. Since his best friend is now gone, he has no motivation to study because it's quite likely that he spends his days alone, without anything to look forward to.

Now, he needs something to look forward to because he won't want to be living for no reason.. he needs to smile, and I hope that I can help you bring his smile back.

I know how he feels because a person dear to me sort of left my life last month, and i went through the same symptoms your son did, except that I did try to kill myself. I don't know how I'm still alive. xD

Willing to help your son out and I hope that I can return his smile back to him..

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
Closed Thread