TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessie

Question Strange Symptoms - March 28th 2017, 11:45 PM

So, my husband and I do not use protection. I did have a recent period (not as heavy as usual, nor were my symptoms as bad other than extreme fatigue) but recently I've been having a lot of pregnancy symptoms (almost exactly the same symptoms I had during my first pregnancy.) It's confusing me, because even though false periods run in my family (my mother, two of my sisters, and my grandmother all had them during part or all of their pregnancies,) it still seems unlikely because of my period. I did not have them during my first pregnancy, but I did miscarry at seventeen weeks, and I'm just not sure what to think. I've thought about taking a test, but I'm honestly not sure that I want to go through that disappointment again if it's negative. For a while, my husband and I were actively trying to get pregnant, but we decided to let it happen at its own pace because the disappointments every month were just too much for us.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Strange Symptoms - March 29th 2017, 12:16 AM

Hi there,

Welcome to TeenHelp, I hope we're able to offer you the support that you're looking for.

First of all, I want to say that I'm really sorry to hear that you've had a miscarriage. I know a few close friends who have had them, and I also work on the labour and delivery unit at my local hospital, so I'm exposed to that at least once a week. I know how hard it can be to go through it, so know that you're not alone.

I'm glad to hear that it didn't completely destroy your spirits as you want to continue to try having a baby. I believe that it will happen.

With what you've described above it's hard to know if you could be pregnant or not. You normally don't get a period during your pregnancy, as I'm sure you're aware of, but you also mentioned that it wasn't the type of bleeding that you normally have with your menstrual period. Was your period the same time that you normally have it?

Some people do experience some vaginal bleeding when they first become pregnant, which might be some blood that sort of 'falls out' when the fertilized egg is attaching to the lining of your uterus.

You have two options at this point. You can either take a test to see what the results are, I know that you mentioned disappointments, but you never know what might come out of this. Or you can wait a little bit longer to see if you continue to get the symptoms of being pregnant and then take the test.

Ultimately it's up to you. If I were in your shoes I would wait a week or so and then take the test, but that's just me. If you want you can definitely let me know what you decide to do. I am here if you need to talk. Don't be afraid to reach out.

Best of luck!
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Strange Symptoms - March 29th 2017, 02:07 AM

It was really hard for us when we did everything right but still couldn't conceive. Even though we've stopped actively trying, it's still a bit of a disappointment for me when I do get my period. I barely survived losing Hope, and part of me is terrified I'll lose another baby. It was special circumstances when I lost Hope -- it was caused by an injury -- but it still scares me. And I also wonder if it isn't phantom symptoms again. I've gotten them occasionally since I lost Hope, mostly in times of stress or sadness, so I do wonder if it's not that again. They've just never been this strong since I was actually pregnant. Normally, the phantom symptoms are like someone whispering something versus a full-voiced word. This is more of the "full-voice" type of symptom. I hope that made sense -- it was the only way I could think to describe it. I know the symptoms, (most especially nausea) have been pretty consistent for the past week. Also, like with my first pregnancy, I can't eat waffles or pancakes... I would crave them so bad when I was pregnant with Hope, but every time I ate them, they made me sick as a damn dog. So I don't know anymore. My husband wants to take a test, but at the same time, he doesn't. He's pretty much in the same headspace as me right now.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Strange Symptoms - March 29th 2017, 02:54 AM

Thank you for replying. I just want to say, I love the name Hope.

It's always so hard when you've done everything right, but then you still have to go through this horrible circumstance, that I wish never existed. Did you go to any support groups after you lost Hope? Unfortunately miscarriages do happen a lot more then most people realize, and most of them, just like yours, they did everything right.

I definitely know where you're coming from when you talk about the voices from phantom symptoms. The only way you will know for sure if this is phantom symptoms or if it's actual symptoms of pregnancy, is by taking a test. I know you don't want to, and I know how hard it will be for you if the test comes back negative. However, I think it will hurt less to take the test, then it would be to just keep wondering if you are or aren't.

If you're not maybe you can consider going to see a Gynecologist, they specialize in the female reproductive organs. Hopefully they would be able to see if there's something going on which is preventing you from getting pregnant or being able to carry a baby to term.

If you are pregnant, then I highly recommend you go to see your family doctor as soon as you can, and tell them that you want this pregnancy watched closely since you did miscarry. You could probably connect with an Obstetrician or a Midwife quite early in the pregnancy. They will keep an eye on you and the fetus, and send you for necessary tests.

Let me know what you decide to do. Again I am here for you, and I'm thinking about you.

Brittany

stronger than you seem,

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Strange Symptoms - March 29th 2017, 03:32 PM

The thing about bleeding is that it can happen when you are not pregnant and when you are pregnant. I bleed throughout my entire first trimester with both of my pregnancies. Every person is different. So if you feel like you might be pregnant, you should take a test. I know you said you are scared. I would be too after loosing a baby. But, you need to know. Starting prenatal care sooner rather than later is important.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Strange Symptoms - March 30th 2017, 10:28 PM

I need to get one. It's just terrifying. I want nothing more than to get another chance. We want a child so much, but we're terrified. We'll probably get a test tomorrow.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Strange Symptoms - March 31st 2017, 10:58 PM

Hi there,

I just saw this post, I realized it was posted yesterday and that you said 'you might buy a test tomorrow'. Which means that would be today. Did you guys end up getting a test? Definitely keep me updated.

<3
Stay Strong

stronger than you seem,

Closed Thread