TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17

My period is late... Just got off my BC almost 2 months ago. - June 11th 2017, 09:01 AM

Hey all! Heads up, there may be some info in this that may make others uncomfortable. I recently got my Nexplanon removed after a year of having it in. I removed it due to severe anxiety, depression, weight gain, and anger issues while having it in (I'm way better now). It took almost a month for my period to return and it only lasted 3 days versus my normal 4 day cycle. I did have unprotected sex during and after my period. He came in me the last day of my period (it was a drunken night) and I got Plan B 2 days later. We were talking about having children but I did the math and it would take me out of school if I were to conceive then and I decided I wanted more stability first, so I changed my mind. The other times he has either used the pull out method (once when the Plan B should have still been in my system) or he just does it for a bit until I mention the condom. I took a test 5 days before my period just in case and it was negative.

Here's the deal now. I'm 2 days late when I've always had regular periods before the Nexplanon. I have heartburn, some cramping, my lower back hurts all the time, I'm so tired too (past my normal tiredness as I work nights every other weekend), my discharge is clear and very watery with a lot, I feel so bloated too, and my breasts are a little sore but my nipples are pretty darn sensitive. I'm planning on testing again soon if my period doesn't return but I've read it can take up to a week to show a "true" result after a missed period. I'm more worried because a coworker mentioned that my boobs have gotten larger and asked if I was pregnant.

I'm not sure how the Nexplanon would have affected my cycle or if it could have caused me to ovulate during my last period or at a different time. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on this? My doctor refused to answer questions because she was mad that I was getting the thing removed. I'm also not on anything else because I feel my body needs a break. Also, what were the symptoms for everyone else that has been pregnant? Any similar? I'm very nervous because my first pregnancy I was on birth control and didn't know I was pregnant. I found out at 8 weeks and stopped my birth control, unfortunately the baby stopped growing at 8 weeks after getting off the B/C. I thought I was pregnant for nearly 5 weeks after but miscarried at 13 weeks. It was a terrible experience and I'm afraid I'll mess up again.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: My period is late... Just got off my BC almost 2 months ago. - June 11th 2017, 05:23 PM

Nexplanon can impact your cycle for quite a bit. It's similar to depo in that way but usually not quite as long (depo can impact your period for three months after getting off). However, if it's been two weeks or more since these sexual acts, you really can only know by taking a test to find out if you're pregnant. The symptoms you're describing can be a number of things.

something burning?
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: My period is late... Just got off my BC almost 2 months ago. - June 12th 2017, 05:31 AM

Have you considered other forms of birth control?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17 Points: 14,857, Level: 17

Re: My period is late... Just got off my BC almost 2 months ago. - June 13th 2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by del677 View Post
Have you considered other forms of birth control?

I thought about it but decided to go without hormonal birth control. I got pregnant on oral contraceptives the first time and I refuse to do an IUD. I'm giving my body a break from the hormones, I've been consistently on them for almost 6 years. I expect my husband to respect me and my wishes and wear a condom, even though he doesn't like it.

Update: 4 days late now but I took a test a few days ago and it was negative. If it continues to the weekend, I will take another and see. At this point I think the Nexplanon has really messed with me though, and is likely that over a pregnancy.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Staff On Leave

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26 Points: 34,042, Level: 26

Re: My period is late... Just got off my BC almost 2 months ago. - June 13th 2017, 07:01 PM

Another thing to consider is that Plan B can also mess with your period/cycle for the first month or two after taking it. So that can be another cause of a late period, definitely if it continues to be late and you are worried, take a test if you can so that it puts your mind at rest. Because the stress might just delay it more. But I just wanted to throw it out there that Plan B can mess things up as well

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.
Closed Thread