TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bree

Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 8th 2018, 01:07 AM

Just curious, my doctor didnít give any help at all. She said all antioviotics effect birth control, but there is only a slightly higher chance of pregnancy than originally on BC. When I asked her if I should be extra careful with raw sex she said no that I am fine, but then when I said that obviously I didnít want to get pregnant, she said she understood and just made it seem like there was a chance. It was really confusing.

So, do antibiotics effect BC, and can you get pregnant because of it? I have been taking antibiotics and I am on the implant, and I have been having unprotected raw sex, so I am really confused and unsure.

Thank youuuu

If it is meant to be, it will be.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 8th 2018, 08:50 PM

No contraception is 100% affective, and it's generally recommended to use contraception such as the implant, as well as a barrier method e.g. condom to help prevent pregnancy as well as sexually transmitted infections and diseases.

It's a bit difficult to say for sure whether antibiotics affect birth control. It depends on what antibiotics you are taking and what birth control. Some antibiotics may affect birth control, and in this case it's best to use condoms as well. If you will be on certain antibiotics for a long time, then you may want to consider changing your birth control to something that is less likely to be affected. You can learn more about antibiotics and their affect on birth control here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contra...contraception/ (UK website)

You could also get a second opinion by talking to another doctor for clarification.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 9th 2018, 08:58 PM

Like Holly said, it's complicated but general rule of thumb is to use protection while taking antibiotics because they can lead to it being less effective.

This is, at least, what my doctor advised because it was better to be safe than sorry.

I'm on the implant and haven't really looked into how antibiotics affect its effectiveness but if I end up having to take an antibiotic I'd likely use condoms until I was done taking them.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Oletrthd Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 10th 2018, 07:11 AM

Of course, it depends on which antibiotic it is, consult a doctor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Average Joe

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 11th 2018, 03:25 AM

Just as a general rule of thumb, yes, assume that antibiotics affect your birth control. I am sorry your doctor was so vague about this. I am sure it's not a hard and fast rule but quite a few antibiotics will reduce the effectiveness of birth control. While birth control doesn't work 100% any how (usually 94% to 97%), there's no clear number about how much antibiotics will reduce the effectiveness. Let's be real though, even if all it does is reduce it from 97% to 75%, is that a risk you're willing to take?

While on antibiotics, if you typically have sex without a condom, I'd strongly encourage you to use condoms until you've completed a full cycle of birth control (finish the one you're on + 1 more round) just to be safe. It's just easier to play it safe and assume antibiotics will reduce effectiveness and take additional precautions.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 12th 2018, 02:14 AM

I already had sex unprotected on the antibiotics is the problem. It’s been a week or so and I’ve been very lightheaded, nauseous and dizzy. That’s why I was positing in here anyways, to see if my antibiotics effected the bc. It’s probably nothing

(#7 (permalink)) Old
*Jordan* Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jordan

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 13th 2018, 01:22 AM

I am not a doctor, but I believe stronger antibiotics have more of a chance of effecting birth control than the regular prescribed ones. I would make sure to over protect yourself during the use of any antibiotic just in case.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Average Joe

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 15th 2018, 07:39 PM

The symptoms you're experiencing could also be a side affect of the antibiotics or a secondary infection or something. That's actually way more likely than you having such drastic symptoms of pregnancy.

I would for sure follow up with your doctor if you are still feeling unwell to see what's up

(#9 (permalink)) Old
mvik57 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 28th 2018, 09:31 AM

i do it helps guys

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 30th 2018, 01:21 AM

Not pregnant, it was a side effect of the meds so I won’t be taking those anymore

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Do antibiotics effect birth control? - November 30th 2018, 10:09 PM

I'm glad to here everything worked out for you. I'm going ahead and closing this thread. Please message me if you'd like it reopened.

ďYou are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.Ē

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

Closed Thread