TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Tubal Ligation - November 9th 2011, 09:02 PM

Has anyone had this procedure done? What are your feelings on it? I plan on getting it ASAP, since I can't risk any chances of getting pregnant, childbirth/parenting is strictly against my personal beliefs. Does anyone know how much it costs? Or if it hurts really bad? Are there any other options as far as sterilization go? I do not trust any form of birth control that is not 100% effective... Will they even give an eighteen year old this surgery? So many questions...

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

Last edited by XxMallyPrydexX; November 9th 2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Changing prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Katie

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 10th 2011, 01:11 AM

Of course the best person to ask would be a gynocologist. I highly doubt that they would give the surgery to an 18 year old unless getting pregnant would cause MAJOR medical problems for you. It's invasive and permanent. I haven't heard of any other sterilization methods other than a hysterectomy. I don't think you'll find many, if any people here who have had it done because of the age range.

As for where I stand with it, I won't know for sure until after I'm done having children, but right now I don't think it's something I'll consider in the future unless I'm told by a medical professional that getting pregnant would be dangerous for me. If I ended up needing a C-section for childbirth and my(future) husband and I decided we were done having kids I might have them do it as part of the C-section. Otherwise I don't think I would do it. I don't plan on having sex until marriage anyway so birth control wouldn't be too much of an issue for me, especially right now.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012
Associate LHO October 13, 2012

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 10th 2011, 02:29 AM

Katie's right; they WILL not perform tubal ligation on you once you turn 18 unless for medical purposes, i.e. becoming pregnant would seriously harm you or the baby. Tubal ligation is usually done only after you've had one child. I'm guessing they won't do it simply on personal beliefs. However, the best person to ask would be the people who perform the surgery.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 10th 2011, 04:40 AM

Some quick research tells me that the general rule is age 30 and up and generally on those who've finished having children. While some obgyns will perform on women who don't fit those criteria, I couldn't find record of anyone under 24...

...and it's for a valid reason. 18 is very different from 28 is very different from 38 even. The younger tubal ligation is performed, the higher the odds are that one will regret it. I'm not saying that you will change your mind, just that statistics show there is a higher chance of it than if you were older. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2492586/ -> in the long term complications section, although I found the same numbers in several places)

I might add that tubal ligation isn't 100%. Why not consider another form of long term birth control that isn't permanent? (iud? implant?) Some are on par with the effectiveness of tubal ligation.

Last thought, and I would say this to you about ANY procedure you were asking about: do your research. And I mean more than the 10 minutes I spent on google looking up the above. Find your answers for the questions you've asked - google it, call an obgyn, use any resource you can - before you commit yourself to it. I find it really hard to hear you say that you want to 'get it asap' without knowing much about it. You should be informed about what you want to happen to your body!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
One of those old people ;)
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 10th 2011, 01:40 PM

I want to add to what everyone else has stated, I have never heard of a doctor performing this surgery on a teenager, and for good reason. Just because you believe something at 18 doesn't mean you will believe it at 35. Maybe look into getting an IUD or the implant that goes in your arm (Implanon) Those methods of birth control are good for anywhere between 3-10 years depending on which one you choose.

"omg i might be pregnant!?!?!"

"ok..calm down..pee on your keyboard...nope its negative"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
fullofsecrets Offline
Witness
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kristin

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 10th 2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillotine_blades View Post
I want to add to what everyone else has stated, I have never heard of a doctor performing this surgery on a teenager, and for good reason. Just because you believe something at 18 doesn't mean you will believe it at 35. Maybe look into getting an IUD or the implant that goes in your arm (Implanon) Those methods of birth control are good for anywhere between 3-10 years depending on which one you choose.
I really agree with the Amber. What you want now may not be what you want in ten years. Because of the medical repercussions I doubt they will perform it on someone so young, but it would be best to talk to your gynecologist. He or she can give you a definite answer.

In the meantime, try other methods of contraception. If you don't want to risk it, abstinence is the only other way to prevent pregnancy.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Angel Offline
The final horcrux
I've been here a while

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 10th 2011, 08:06 PM

Tubal ligation is not 100% effective. While the chances of pregnancy are incredibly slim, you must keep in mind that no method is 100% effective except abstinence. Those who do happen to get pregnant after their tubes are tied often experience an ectopic pregnancy. This isn't even to mention that a doctor will not perform a surgery on someone who is so young. My friend is about 20 and she's having an extremely difficult time finding a doctor to perform a tubal ligation on her. In her case, she has pressing health concerns and they are still reluctant since it is a procedure that is meant to be permanent.

If you do plan on being sexually active, the most you can do to prevent pregnancy is by doubling up on contraceptive methods. Look into IUDs or the implant. These methods, on top of condoms, should be sufficient in protecting against pregnancy. The IUD is 99% effective so it's comparable to tubal ligation in terms of effectiveness. If you want any information on IUDs, just give me a little nudge! I've used one for a little while now as my only form of birth control and I've had no problems with it.

"Years ago, I knew a boy who made all the wrong choices."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
XxMallyPrydexX Offline
Average Joe

Name: Mally

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 10th 2011, 11:58 PM

Thank you. And just so everyone knows I DO NOT believe in sex before marraige. I'm talking about after marraige, of course there's always the choice that my fiancee is more than willing to get a vasectomy... but I'm not sure that's what I want him to go through that so I'm just seeing what other possibilities there are. Also, I believe in adoption. If I really wanted kids, I would help one of the thousands out there that were born to poor, abusive, and underage parents and abandoned in an orphanage, so I really don't mind that it's permanent... I'm just not going to ever become pregnant, end of story. I have my reasons... PM me if you're really that interested...

They can have their world
We'll create our own
I may not be brave or strong or smart
But somewhere in my secret heart

I know
Love will find a way
Anywhere I go
I'm home
If you are there beside me

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Daivia Offline
Why Hussie? Why?
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Maeve

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 11th 2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMallyPrydexX View Post
I'm talking about after marraige, of course there's always the choice that my fiancee is more than willing to get a vasectomy... but I'm not sure that's what I want him to go through that so I'm just seeing what other possibilities there are. .
I hope you've found during your research that a vasectomy is easier, cheaper, less painful, less risky, and more reversible the tubal litigation.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 11th 2011, 04:33 PM

A lot of states have restrictions, some wont do them until you're 25 years old...AND have at least TWO kids already.

You need to look in to your states criteria for tubals if it's truly what you want to do.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#11 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: Tubal Ligation - November 13th 2011, 03:50 PM

This isn't completely relevant, but my dad had a vasectomy after I and my brothers were born. It's been effective so far

Also, his mate had a vasectomy, but then changed his mind, had it reversed, and is now the proud father of a three day old baby. So I would definitely look into a vasectomy more than tubal ligation because a) it's reversible on the off chance you may change your minds, and b) there would be less complications (eg ectopic pregnancy) if you DID get pregnant with a vasectomy than a tubal ligation.

Like others have said - double up on contraception. Use an IUD/the Pill/one of those implants in your arm AND a condom. This will decrease your chances of pregnancy.

While I agree that adoption is a worthy thing (and I myself want to adopt at least one child alongside one of my own when I'm older,) you may decide, when you're older, that you want your own child. You are only 15, your beliefs may have changed in 10 - 15 years when you decide to settle down and have a family.

Best wishes,
~Kate <3

Closed Thread