TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

Points: 23,394, Level: 22 Points: 23,394, Level: 22 Points: 23,394, Level: 22

pill- no period... - March 7th 2012, 10:24 PM

i've been on the pill for like 5 years, never really had problems.
I've had a few months of at times but generally been on it.

For the last few months i hadn't been taking the break in the pack- i only see my bf once a fortnight and it kept falling that time.

Anyway, basically, i took my break last week. I had about 2 days of very very light spotting. then nothing.

I was told that skipping the break wouldn't be bad... but now i'm not sure.
Any thoughts/experience?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: pill- no period... - March 8th 2012, 12:33 AM

Unfortunately, not letting yourself have those breaks in between pill packs is most likely the result of your limited period this month. I've done this a few times, where I skip the break, and begin a new pack. But, I only do it once, every few months or once a year at the least. To continuously do this is making your body think that a period isn't necessary, and while some say it isn't, it really is.

If you want to skip the breaks in between, I'd suggest speaking to your doctor about switching to the birth control that allows you to only have 3 periods a year, or getting on the Depo Provera injection.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19 Points: 18,584, Level: 19

Re: pill- no period... - March 8th 2012, 04:03 AM

I do that all of the time. It's normal. My doctor has told me that it's not necessary to get the pills that are "designed" to get your period only once every 3 months because they are no different than any other pill, you just get three months worth with no break. The important thing to remember is that after you've taken packs back to back and then you go on the sugar pills, even if you don't start ALWAYS start back on the pill when you are supposed to. I didn't the first time I took back to back and I bled for a month straight :O Also don't be surprised if you end up getting your full period before you go on your next break in the pack.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: pill- no period... - March 8th 2012, 09:37 PM

There's nothing wrong with this, you're not hurting your body or anything. I actually never do this, but I"ll sometimes go over into the new pack a few extra days if I'm on vacation and don't want my period to start or something. I would recommend what Shannon said about switching to Depro, or to Seasonal, they are two different hormones so if you're on the pill, and don't mind taking a pill, Seasonal or Seasonique would be the same hormone that you are probably on now, you just don't take breaks and have four periods a year.

And just letting you know, contrary to what Shannon said, I'm not really sure there is a scientific need for your period while you are on the pill. Talk to your gynecologist about this. When you are on oral contraceptive, you're not really having a regular period. Rather, you are having what is called "Withdrawal bleeding", (One source, another source) which is caused by your hormone levels, not the ridding of the unfertilized egg as a regular period is. Because of this...it's really not necessary. Women continue to want to have it because it feels more natural, like having a "regular period." ...But you don't NEED to. However, I would still recommend you switch to a birth control meant for skipping your period, because right now you're wasting money by skipping 4 days out of the month, so after seven months on the pill doing this, you could have had another month using it. Get what I mean? I think you'd be better off going on a birth control that has this as a benefit rather than doing it yourself.

something burning?
Closed Thread