TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hellokitty14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,526, Level: 11 Points: 6,526, Level: 11 Points: 6,526, Level: 11

Does abuse have anything to do with the lgbt community? - July 5th 2013, 05:54 AM

I'm wondering because I was sexually mutilated when I was 5 by a really weird creepy psychopath. It was pretty traumatic still have the injuries from it and I don't remember the incident at all. I think it was too hard to process at that age so I blocked it out. But still they think it has to do with how I think I'm a girl. When it doesn't I used to look to my sister and mom thinking I'd grow up to be like them and before I went to school I actually really didn't know I was a boy because I had long hair like my sister and mom I didn't even know why I was set apart differently from them. I've always felt this way. But when I went to school I just was more aware that I felt I fit with the female populations and its always been hard for me to really recognized the difference between me and a normal girl as my parents would say. They know I have ks but they just focus on the fact that I am academically challenged because of it. But that its because I need to deal with what happened which I really don't want to deal with something I don't remember nor do I want to remember. But as long as I don't see a psych for that issue they don't care about my opinion. It seems. But really it doesn't usually have anything to do with each other does it?

Last edited by Hellokitty14; July 5th 2013 at 06:18 AM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59 Points: 172,560, Level: 59

Re: Does abuse have anything to do with the lgbt community? - July 5th 2013, 07:17 PM

Hey there,

Sexuality and gender identity are things you are born with. While abuse can't cause this to change, for instance it can't turn a female into a lesbian, it can trigger a person to think about sexuality and gender identity more than before, which eventually could lead to them determining their sexuality or gender identity. Since you don't remember what happened to you, I don't think the incident had an affect on your gender identity. You're right in thinking that you've always felt this way and I don't think what happened to you caused this.

Stay strong!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Hellokitty14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 6,526, Level: 11 Points: 6,526, Level: 11 Points: 6,526, Level: 11

Re: Does abuse have anything to do with the lgbt community? - July 6th 2013, 11:26 AM

I don't know how to convince my parents and ease their assumptions on this though...
Closed Thread