TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sadpanda Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,268, Level: 10 Points: 5,268, Level: 10 Points: 5,268, Level: 10

how do you come out to your parents? - December 1st 2014, 01:54 AM

my parents are against the LGBTQ community. I am bisexual, and questioning if i am a lesbian. i want to come out to my parents, but i don't know how. any advice?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: how do you come out to your parents? - December 1st 2014, 02:16 AM

I generally advise against coming out to people that are known to have unaccepting views while still in the questioning stage, because chances are they'll try their hardest to convince you that you have nothing to question.

Why do you want to come out, and what do you hope to achieve from it?

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Paint Offline
ετεɾṉαl ɾεṡτ †
Average Joe

Points: 7,973, Level: 13 Points: 7,973, Level: 13 Points: 7,973, Level: 13

Re: how do you come out to your parents? - December 6th 2014, 09:42 PM

While I don't have experience with coming out, what I can tell you is that if you already know your parents are against the LGBT+ community, chances are the conversation is not going to go well. They are likely going to try to convince you that this is a phase, or that this is in your head, as mentioned by Hiraeth. I think waiting until you are ready to move out might be a better idea. It may not be so necessary right now.

However, if you are set on the idea that you must tell them, then here's what I can tell you: first you should figure things out for yourself before telling them. You said you're still questioning; there are plenty of reliable sources you can use to figure that out, but at the end of the day, only you can decide and pick a label that you are most comfortable with. Do your research and don't feel rushed or obligated to come up with a name for it. But when or if you decide that you definitely are not straight and want to tell your parents, here's what I suggest... Write a note! I think talking about it in person can be very difficult. I would write it and leave it somewhere right before you're leaving your house so your parents can read it when you're not home. If they are angry, they will have some time to let go of that anger before you come back.

Another thing is - a lot of people are against the LGBT community because of ignorance. Maybe you can educate them about it. And if it's a religious thing, I wrote an article on my blog that maybe you should show them! Here's the link.

Either way though, remember not to feel pressured. But I do believe this conversation shouldn't be had right at this moment. However, I do hope my response helps you for when the time comes, or if you want to tell your more accepting friends!

Best of luck. You are not alone, and you are very much loved. Remember that!
Closed Thread