TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
imstillsosad Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,128, Level: 10 Points: 5,128, Level: 10 Points: 5,128, Level: 10

Genderfluid/Trans? - March 11th 2015, 06:25 AM

Hello all!
My name is AnabelleSteve (this is a nickname I use on Tumblr, youtube, and other things) and I am a genderfluid teenage human being.
For those of you that may not know. If someone is genderfluid, that means that they do not fit into a specific gender, and instead they move between them. I myself flow between boy and girl. This in my own mind is broken down into masculinity and femininity.
Sex wise, I am a female
(ive got the girl parts)
But I do not always feel like a girl!
Being gender fluid is considered trans. Though I have accepted my fluidity. I am having issues coming to terms with the label of trans.
NOT because I hate Trans people, or I am transphobic. But because I feel like inorder to be trans, I need to be transitioning from one gender/sex to another. Any advice on how I can accept this?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
LaCorrsa Offline
HP
Not a n00b

Name: Josh

Points: 10,182, Level: 14 Points: 10,182, Level: 14 Points: 10,182, Level: 14

Re: Genderfluid/Trans? - March 11th 2015, 07:40 AM

Are you wanting to actually transition form female to male by way of the surgery? If not than i think a better categorization for you would be androgynous. neither masculine nor feminine yet both at the same time. perfect balance between the two. besides why be concerned about labels anyway? you sound like you have a pretty good grasp on who you are, should it matter if gender fluid is considered trans by most people? nah, just be you.

"A Sapling will bend, but over time, it becomes a mighty oak, with roots stretching far and wide. One tree can father a forest, but it is up to that tree to take root."- Hecate
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Aristocrats Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Berea

Points: 5,229, Level: 10 Points: 5,229, Level: 10 Points: 5,229, Level: 10

Re: Genderfluid/Trans? - March 14th 2015, 05:12 AM

You don't need to transition for the label trans!
If you're uncomfortable with the label personally, then that's okay. Many genderqueer/nb people don't consider themselves trans.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: Genderfluid/Trans? - March 15th 2015, 02:03 AM

Yeah, I don't think of all gender diverse people as subsets of trans. I don't personally believe that equating them is really a beneficial thing to do. People who transition socially/medically/legally have a very different set of challenges than people who do not and are happy not doing so.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Genderfluid/Trans? - March 15th 2015, 03:25 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you feel like the other sex but you dont have their genitals, your transgender, but if you get your genitals surgically changed, your a transexual. Or maybe I'm just spouting bullshit.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Aristocrats Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Berea

Points: 5,229, Level: 10 Points: 5,229, Level: 10 Points: 5,229, Level: 10

Re: Genderfluid/Trans? - March 15th 2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you feel like the other sex but you dont have their genitals, your transgender, but if you get your genitals surgically changed, your a transexual. Or maybe I'm just spouting bullshit.
That is correct.
You have to transition to be a transSEXUAL (though it's a bit of a dated term) but all trans people, or at least most, deal with transphobia directly or indirectly regardless of if they are transitioning. I'm not really equating them and their struggles, but acknowledging that they both have them.
Some people who aren't cis don't see thenselves as trabs, but many do.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: Genderfluid/Trans? - March 18th 2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichWolverineFreak View Post
Not necessarily. Nowadays most people who consider themselves transsexual (myself included) just think of it as the medical aspect of transitioning being the most important, or the most emphasized. People who are transitioning towards a sexless (no sexual features) or androgynous (features of both sexes) state sometimes also identify as transsexual, albeit much less commonly.

My argument is that if an individual, regardless of how they feel, is for a large majority of the time comfortable presenting as their assigned sex, such that accessing segregated spaces for example isn't usually a problem because of an overly androgynous appearance, and is generally also okay with being addressed as the pronouns typically attributed to their assigned sex, these individuals do not have the same experiences as those who transition socially, medically, and legally. I'm aware that a lot of different people call themselves "transgender" nowadays, and the term itself has gotten to a point where just by hearing it I still know next to nothing about a person's experience of everyday life, what their challenges are, what their goals and needs are, etc. But that's fine. Use whatever you're comfortable with. I'm at a point where I don't feel comfortable using "transgender" anymore because I feel like it could mean too many different things.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Genderfluid/Trans? - March 20th 2015, 09:25 PM

I know a lot of people who consider themselves gender fluid because that is the language that they choose to use. If you don't consider yourself trans, but do consider yourself gender fluid, I would use that language because it is what you are comfortable with, even if it is basically equal to being trans. I was actually talking to someone lately who gave me a very insightful perspective, which is that you can basically use the language that you want for yourself, so she calls herself gay AND bi even though she's only bi, but she would never call someone else gay if they said they were bi because that is not the language they choose to use for themselves. I know many people who say they are gender neutral or gender fluid because it is how they identify, they don't identify as trans.
For example, for myself if someone is trans, I would understand that to mean that their gender is NOT the one they were assigned at birth (e.g. if they were born a female, they identify as male OR they are someone who has transitioned to the one gender they identify with) whereas I understand gender fluid/neutral to mean both genders or something in the middle (e.g. neither male nor female).
I don't know if this helps or not. You can PM me if you need to talk.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread