TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Motion Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,209, Level: 9 Points: 4,209, Level: 9 Points: 4,209, Level: 9

Need help picking a new name (Trans, FTM) - January 7th 2017, 07:05 PM

I decided on New Years Eve that I would embrace my gender identity this year, and one of my current focuses is choosing a name.
I've slowly gotten the list down to two possible names:
Tyler and Marshall.

I've asked friends which name they liked better (not mentioning what it's for) and they're equally divided on it too.

If you're wondering what I'm like, in summary I'm a pretty laid back guy who tries too hard to look like a greaser lol.

So what name do you guys think fit me? Tyler or Marshall?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Need help picking a new name (Trans, FTM) - January 7th 2017, 09:49 PM

It's really ultimately up to you, because this is the name you will have to live with post-transition. Sit on it for a while, you don't have to decide today. Where are you exactly on the transition process? Because if you're just beginning, ie coming out, then you have plenty of time to decide. It'll be a few years of therapy and hormones before you have surgery, and before the need to legally change your name approaches.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,657, Level: 29 Points: 40,657, Level: 29 Points: 40,657, Level: 29

Re: Need help picking a new name (Trans, FTM) - January 8th 2017, 03:01 AM

First of all, congratulations! It's great that you have decided to embrace who you really are. However, your new name should be what feels right to YOU! This isn't a decision that you need to make overnight, so I'd recommend taking some time to think it over. You can even test out having people refer to you by each of the two names for a bit, so you can determine if there is one that you feel you most identify with. Choosing a new name is such a monumental part of your journey, so it really should be about your preference and what will make you the happiest.

Best of luck,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
lenawolff Offline
Alena
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alena

Points: 4,029, Level: 9 Points: 4,029, Level: 9 Points: 4,029, Level: 9

Re: Need help picking a new name (Trans, FTM) - January 15th 2017, 09:35 PM

First of all congratulations, I'm so happy you're embracing it! And the decision is really up to you, you know? I hate my name, I've been thinking of a stage name as I'm on the arts for years and everytime I ask people if they prefer one or the other, i get the same results, same amount of votes for each. I happen to love Tyler and think it would fit you, but, which one are you more comfortable with? You think you'd feel better being called Tyler or Marshall? It's all about having the feeling of it being right.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
FrozenRobot7 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Danni

Points: 9,892, Level: 14 Points: 9,892, Level: 14 Points: 9,892, Level: 14

Re: Need help picking a new name (Trans, FTM) - January 19th 2017, 11:53 PM

First off, let me start off by saying you most defiantly shouldn't try to pick a name quickly, this is obviously a big decision, and takes a lot of thought.

Also, congratulations on coming out and being your true self As for the name, I personally really like them both, but I think I like Tyler just a bit more
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
NoodleCup Offline
Dreamer
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,869, Level: 9 Points: 3,869, Level: 9 Points: 3,869, Level: 9

Re: Need help picking a new name (Trans, FTM) - January 20th 2017, 11:16 AM

Congratulation! <3

First of all, i noticed your profil and please...please don't choose a name just because you like a show in which a charachter has this name... "marshall"
You should find a name that pretty similar to the name given to you.
For example:
Lucas: lucia
Or michelle/ michael.
I have a few frinds who even asked their parents which name they would have been given if they would've born the opposite sex. Now they are called by this name
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Sam, The Almighty
Average Joe

Name: Jason

Points: 11,315, Level: 15 Points: 11,315, Level: 15 Points: 11,315, Level: 15

Re: Need help picking a new name (Trans, FTM) - January 26th 2017, 01:04 AM

Hey there, congratulations! Accepting yourself and making the motion to make things happen in your life is a huge step and you should be super proud of yourself! Heck, I am uber proud of you. I know just how big of a step that is. Picking a name can be difficult. For example, I was born Samantha. However, I go by Sam, and that is what most people refer to me as. I know it would be difficult for them to remember to call me by my preferred name. That is why I intend to include Sam in my new name somewhere, probably as my middle name. If you think you may be in the same boat, I would suggest maybe considering the same thing. Ultimately, the decision is entirely up to you. It is a matter of which name you think would make you feel most masculine, as well as fit your personality. Personally, I like the name Tyler a bit more than Marshall. To me, it just has more of a masculine ring to it. Now, you can of course go with a name as suggested above, one that is more closely tied to your name. I myself don't necessarily agree with that. This you embracing... you. You as a better version of yourself with a fresh start. You name could be a new beginning. I myself am torn between the name Jason and Jace. It is a tough decision, but I know you can do it. Congratulations again. If you need anybody to talk to, feel free to PM me anytime. I am going to work on being a bigger part of this website, again. I also identify as FTM. However, I have yet to do a name change, begin T, and most people don't refer to me as the correct pronoun. If you need somebody that can relate, I'm here.

Sincerely,
Sam

*I bleed for you that's why I cut those simple scars are just deep thoughts.
*Take it from someone who's fallen... it's a long way down.
*Rock bottom is good solid ground, and a dead end street is just a place to turn around.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Need help picking a new name (Trans, FTM) - January 26th 2017, 03:21 AM

It's ultimately up to you. You are going to be going by that name possibly for the rest of your life. I mean I could sit here and tell you which one I like more, but it shouldn't be up to other people. You are going by it so it is your choice.

Here is some questions you can ask yourself to try and choose which name to go by:
What name best fits me?
Do you want a nickname?
Do I feel more like a Tyler or Marshal?
Do I want a neutral name? Tyler can be a girl or boy name.

Just some questions I would ask myself with changing my name.

I hope I helped a little bit.
If you ever have any questions or need to talk, vent or need advice I am a PM/VM away.

Your Friend,
Frankie.
Closed Thread