TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sharklk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Gay Heartbreak, need advice on where to go - September 6th 2017, 09:43 PM

Hi my name is Devin and I am a gay 17-year-old in high school, starting my junior year. The problem that I want advice for is that essentially my freshman year, i fell in love with a boy. They are in the grade above me, and we had one class together which was band. we talked kind of often and then I begin to sit with him at lunch, leading us to talk a little bit more (but not super often, this was only 20 minutes of the day) and then what started off as a simple crush, turned into crazy, falling in love. He was/is my first love. and so essentially when the semester changed in December, we no longer had a class/lunch together and I got very, very depressed because I truly loved him and couldn't talk to him (he has no social media), and couldn't talk to anyone else about it either (I'm not out of the closet, and don't want to be as of right now). it was the hardest thing of my life - loving someone but not being able to talk to them. it sucked. then the thoughts of him hating me(i don't know why, but as an insecure freshman maybe he thought I was clingy/liked him, and that made me even more depressed) I got to talk to him a little bit that next April, the April of 2016, (literally ONE conversation). and he was really nice and it was good, but then since after I didn't talk to him again - I haven't talk to him since. it's been over year and a half, but we haven't had any class together because he quit band and so I only saw him briefly in the halls and couldn't really talk to him. I have gone to therapy (winter of 2016, for another issue - unrelated but I just needed someone to talk to), but I talked about him too and I started to get better. and these past nine months, especially in the summer when I NEVER saw him, were the best yet. So fast forward to this fall, I feel like I'm pretty much over him. I don't really care when I see him in the hall - my heart starts to beat a little faster out of habit, but for the most part I'm over it… And then today he started talking to one of my best friends again… they were friends freshman year, she was one of the main reasons I got to talk to him (she didn't know I liked him obviously but they would talk and I would talk with them), but they haven't talked in the longest and now today they did., and he came up while I was walking with her. I felt like I was gonna have a panic attack. I realized that the feelings aren't as strong (especially when he's not around, I forget he exsits, and I'm definitely out of the depression), however they are still there and I don't know what to do because I'm getting the same feelings of like not being able to talk to him, and the sadness. part of me wants to just try to go up to him and talk to him or if he ever talks to my friend again definitely get in the conversation (it was so random when they talked, I don't know if they will again but....) or something just so I can fucking stop with this terrible cycle of your running, and lowkey chasing him to try to talk to him to get some fucking closure or something… maybe that's what i need - closure? I don't know. I realize that he's not perfect, and that I might not even like him when I talk to him again, but that's what closure would bring. however it's hard to get over someone when you don't know their flaws/what you wouldn't like about them, and still hanging on to a thread. Another part of me just wants to just try to brush it off, and just move on with this year because this is his senior year and next year I probably will never see him again… However I feel like I might regret that and also that's why I tried to do freshman year (even though now I am a lot more emotionally strong) and it ended in a fucking trainwreck with depression. And no, I don't want to talk to any of my friends about it, I don't want to come out, especially not over a boy that I like. And yes, he is gay so I did/do technically have a """""chance""""" with him, I wasn't liking a straight person this entire time. Any advice appreciated!
Devin

TL;DR: I need help deciding how to talk to or move on from a love who broke by heart (not on purpose, we weren't dating it was a major crush) and is now around/talking to one of my best friends.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Gay Heartbreak, need advice on where to go - September 6th 2017, 10:00 PM

Crushes can be really hard to get over because we come to idolize the person. We see them as the perfect person because, as you said, we don't see their flaws. We build up an imaginary relationship that is absolutely perfect and it can be quite crushing to realize for one reason or another that nothing is going to end up happening with the crush.

I think that everyone experiences this at least once in their life. For me, part of what helped me get over a really bit and heartbreaking crush I had was dating. I think that the reason this helped me was because I was able to, slowly, see and learn that there definitely were other people out there that I could be interested in. That being said, I do understand that this might not work for you since you aren't currently 'out'.

I do think that different things work for different people regarding crushes. I also think that with time the actual intensity of the crush will diminish a bit. I actually, recently, saw the person that I had quite a big crush on and I also ended up randomly seeing his facebook (he's a mutual friend but facebook only just mentioned it) anyway meeting up with him again and seeing his facebook let me in on the fact that it was quite unlikely that we would have actually worked as a couple. It has nothing to do with him being a terrible person or anything but he lives a different lifestyle than myself. That has definitely helped cement the fact that moving on from that crush was a good thing and that the relationship I have with my boyfriend is, definitely, a really good and solid relationship.

I think, that it is possible that you will always have a certain level or attraction or 'feelings' for this crush. I know some people who say that they still have attraction and 'feelings' for their old crushes. But, there is also a relatively huge chance that overtime...maybe as you grow and experience a relationship...that you will start to lose feelings and attraction for your crush. I know it sucks but the truth is that with time and growth you will overcome this crush to some degree.

Closed Thread