TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   LGBT "community" (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/t15379-lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgendered-community/)

Gidig May 26th 2009 01:53 AM

LGBT "community"

Okay guys- I want to see if any of you have experience with this at all, and if it's just me, or if this is it everywhere.

I've started hanging out with a lot of people at like Pride events, an LGBT group I go to, and stuff like that. Something I've found, is it's very rare to come across a queer person who doesn't smoke! (Like, tobacco)

Is this the same where you are? And I just didn't get clued in? :bleh:

kimvia May 26th 2009 01:55 AM

Re: LGBT "community"

when i went to pride in Houston, it was quite the same as the rest of the population. :)

Rob May 26th 2009 01:57 AM

Well they don't call us "puffs" for nothing. Sorry, bad joke. Yeah, I have noticed quite a large number of gay smokers, but then again I know just as many gay non-smokers and straight-smokers, so I don't think it's really anything to do with their sexuality, probably just a coincidence?

FeelsLikeFalling May 26th 2009 11:24 AM

I'd say coincidence aswell.

Paddy May 26th 2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 149186)
Well they don't call us "puffs" for nothing. Sorry, bad joke. Yeah, I have noticed quite a large number of gay smokers, but then again I know just as many gay non-smokers and straight-smokers, so I don't think it's really anything to do with their sexuality, probably just a coincidence?

agreed, with the conisidence :)

BlurrySunset May 26th 2009 06:10 PM

There have been studies to show that lesbians and gay men are more likely to smoke. I think the last figure I read was that they're 70% more likely to smoke than heterosexuals. Also, the study I read said that homosexuals are more likely to be stressed, so they might use smoking to relieve that. I don't know if that's true or not, but I suppose it makes sense on some level. Not many anti-smoking ad campaigns focus on the LGBT community.

On a personal note, I'm a lesbian and I do smoke actually. And my gay friends are really my only friends who smoke. It could just be a coincidence, but there might also be something there to think about.

Gidig May 26th 2009 06:19 PM

I do know queer people have a higher chance of drinking, doing drugs, and all that from the stress of of lack of acceptance from society. So I suppose that they smoke makes sense.

wanderlust May 26th 2009 06:30 PM

who thats weird!

my friends house in college has like 8 people and shes the only straight one, and they all smoke!

hmm...interesting though!