TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Panda26 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 2,992, Level: 8 Points: 2,992, Level: 8 Points: 2,992, Level: 8

Unhappy My parents found out... - January 17th 2018, 10:33 PM

I'm looking for as much advice as possible. I'm a girl who never thought I could possibly be gay until I met this girl who is now my girlfriend of two years. Her mom found out early on about our relationship and ended our relationship. We tried to end it but we both found it nearly impossible and heart breaking. We got back together realising we had to be much more discreet about it. (We're in the same school). In the past 2 years we've both done better academically than ever before with each other's support and we've got an amazing, caring relationship that makes it worth getting up in the morning. A few weeks ago my parents found a letter she had given me and I had to confess. They were disgusted and have made my home life extremely tense. They haven't done anything drastic like contact her mom yet because I've begged them. They have now decided that they are going to force us to break up or they are refusing to pay for my tertiary education.... I REALLY DON'T WANT TO. (Me and my girlfriend are 17 turning 18 this year)

Any advice on how to handle this situation please
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Virgil Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 4,013, Level: 9 Points: 4,013, Level: 9 Points: 4,013, Level: 9

Re: My parents found out... - January 17th 2018, 11:46 PM

That's horrible, what your parents are doing. No one should have to choose between love and an education. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an easy way out of this. Perhaps you could "break-up" and carry on with your relationship discreetly? If push comes to shove, though, you do what your heart tells you. No one can tell you what to do or how to feel. Your love together is just as valid as the love between a guy and a girl, and if you two make each other better people, then I see no reason to actually comply with your parents. Lots of hugs, and PM if you need to talk.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: My parents found out... - January 18th 2018, 04:49 AM

Hey there,

I am so very sorry that you are having to deal with this. It is so difficult to deal with family who is not supportive and I am sure it is absolutely heart-breaking that they are giving you an ultimatum like this. I am not 100% certain what to advise because it is so complicated. Have you considered looking into any options you might have in order to finance your schooling without them? I know that is probably not something you'd be able to do but it might be worth it to talk to someone at the schools you are hoping to attend.

If you are unable to afford school without them you might have to 'break up' but continue seeing one another without their knowledge. I had a friend or two who had to do this and it was no easy. It definitely made things within the relationship a bit more difficult but it might be your only option.

One thing I want to say is that your parents are blackmailing you in order to get you to do what they want. It's unfortunate that they are choosing to go this route and I hope with time they will change their opinion. However, if they do not change their minds, you can get to a better place without them. You do not deserve this treatment and there is absolutely nothing wrong with you being gay.

I don't know that this helped much but please know I am here if you ever need someone to talk to.

Best regards.
Closed Thread