TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sapphire fox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,318, Level: 8 Points: 3,318, Level: 8 Points: 3,318, Level: 8

Parents don't understand me - July 29th 2018, 05:20 AM

Today I was shoe shopping with my mom and she wanted me to get these pink glittery shoes that just aren't me so I showed her I wanted to get a cool pair of blue high tops I tried to explain why I wanted these over the pink ones but all she kept saying was that I was going to look like a boy with those shoes I then proceeded to try to explain how clothes have no gender and then she asked " so what you wanna be a boy now because you sure dresss like one" and I said no I like to look neutral she then says "but are you a girl or a boy?" And I just looked at her and said " I'm neither " at this point she stares at me looking kinda mad and says you need to be one or the other it doesn't work like that I say " yeah it doesn't she is then looking really angry at me and I feel like an idiot for saying anything we then leave the store and she hasn't spoken to me all day Since
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: Parents don't understand me - July 29th 2018, 02:48 PM

Hey,
I'm sorry that your mom reacted this way. I am wondering if you could go clothes and shoe shopping by yourself or with your brother(if he's older than you) that way you can pick out what you want to wear.

A lot of adults don't understand that there is more to gender identity then being male or female. I am not sure if your mom is against all of the LGBTQ+ stuff, if she isn't maybe it would help if you printed out information on what you consider to be your label at this given time and ask her to read it. It may help or it may not.

Have you though about looking to see if there are any teen LGBTQ+ support groups around you? If you haven't I would suggest doing that it's a good way to get support.

If you have any questions, need help, or just want to chat. I am always just a PM/VM away.

Your Friend,
Frankie<3
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
sapphire fox Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,318, Level: 8 Points: 3,318, Level: 8 Points: 3,318, Level: 8

Re: Parents don't understand me - July 29th 2018, 02:59 PM

Unfortunately there are no support groups near me I live in the middle of nowhere luckily she seems in a good mood today so maybe we can get ignore anything happened and move on
Closed Thread