TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jennaholt Offline
Not a n00b

Coming out - November 9th 2019, 12:49 PM

I'm bisexual. I was happy with the few people who knew about it. I never felt the need to tell my conservative family because I know my dad will never accept me and I had accepted the fact that I was only going to marry a guy. It didn't really bother me until recently. I was in an abusive relationship with a guy. We broke up. Now I'm extremely scared to be with men. I know I would feel much safer with a woman. But all of this struggle with coming out is new to me.
A few of my close friends know. To some, I came out when I was tipsy because it was easier that way and to some, I came out through text. So I've never had to do this while completely sober. I'm thinking I should come out to my therapist first and I can't go to meet him while I'm under the influence of alcohol. I'm terribly scared of how he would react. I'm not sure if he's LGBT+ positive. And I'm really really scared.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Coming out - Yesterday, 12:02 PM

Hey there,

I'm bisexual and newly came out. I actually came out this weekend. It wasn't the plan but it felt right and I had this moment where I thought screw it.

I have conservative family who I was concerned about but I stopped caring because i wanted to be me and part of me is bisexual.

I don't see anything wrong with coming out to your therapist first. If you are worried it might be difficult to get out you could write it down and read it to your therapist. There were things I struggled with talking to my therapist about and would write it down and that'd help.

One way you might be able to determine if your counselor is open to LGBTQIA+ is by searching him in Google. If you type in his name you might find something about him that lists what he specializes in. I've been able to find information about my therapist this way. Also depending on your insurance they might have a page dedicated to providers that lists what they specialize in. The other way you could find out is having a discussion with him. Ask him what his views are on LGBTQIA. I've done this with therapists in the past and it helped me to determine if they'd be open. It might feel like a weird thing to ask but therapists get asked all kinds of questions so it probably wouldn't be a huge deal.

If you need anything feel free to message me. Remember to come out when you feel ready. It will be hard but it can also be quite freeing.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|