TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jennaholt Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 9,332, Level: 14 Points: 9,332, Level: 14 Points: 9,332, Level: 14

Coming out - November 9th 2019, 11:49 AM

I'm bisexual. I was happy with the few people who knew about it. I never felt the need to tell my conservative family because I know my dad will never accept me and I had accepted the fact that I was only going to marry a guy. It didn't really bother me until recently. I was in an abusive relationship with a guy. We broke up. Now I'm extremely scared to be with men. I know I would feel much safer with a woman. But all of this struggle with coming out is new to me.
A few of my close friends know. To some, I came out when I was tipsy because it was easier that way and to some, I came out through text. So I've never had to do this while completely sober. I'm thinking I should come out to my therapist first and I can't go to meet him while I'm under the influence of alcohol. I'm terribly scared of how he would react. I'm not sure if he's LGBT+ positive. And I'm really really scared.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: Coming out - November 13th 2019, 11:02 AM

Hey there,

I'm bisexual and newly came out. I actually came out this weekend. It wasn't the plan but it felt right and I had this moment where I thought screw it.

I have conservative family who I was concerned about but I stopped caring because i wanted to be me and part of me is bisexual.

I don't see anything wrong with coming out to your therapist first. If you are worried it might be difficult to get out you could write it down and read it to your therapist. There were things I struggled with talking to my therapist about and would write it down and that'd help.

One way you might be able to determine if your counselor is open to LGBTQIA+ is by searching him in Google. If you type in his name you might find something about him that lists what he specializes in. I've been able to find information about my therapist this way. Also depending on your insurance they might have a page dedicated to providers that lists what they specialize in. The other way you could find out is having a discussion with him. Ask him what his views are on LGBTQIA. I've done this with therapists in the past and it helped me to determine if they'd be open. It might feel like a weird thing to ask but therapists get asked all kinds of questions so it probably wouldn't be a huge deal.

If you need anything feel free to message me. Remember to come out when you feel ready. It will be hard but it can also be quite freeing.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Loo1ksee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,863, Level: 6 Points: 1,863, Level: 6 Points: 1,863, Level: 6

Re: Coming out - December 6th 2019, 05:59 AM

This is a normal thing, it's just you, stop being afraid,love yourself, be free and be yourself.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Katyleen Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 1,514, Level: 5 Points: 1,514, Level: 5 Points: 1,514, Level: 5

Re: Coming out - January 27th 2020, 03:41 PM

Complitely agree with you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sarah

Points: 1,732, Level: 6 Points: 1,732, Level: 6 Points: 1,732, Level: 6

Re: Coming out - January 28th 2020, 01:39 AM

I am bisexual as well, but I have not come out yet. I am proud of you for realizing this about yourself and coming out to people you trust. My family is very conservative as well, so I understand that fear all, ALL too well.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be with a woman, and feeling that fear of being around men. I understand that too, from past experience. Just take it a step at a time.

I would come out to your therapist, and if it doesn't go well, you can always find another one. There are many that are friendly toward us.

Don't give up and don't loose hope. We are here for you.

- Sarah
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
lgbtlady2000 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Myrtle

Points: 1,448, Level: 5 Points: 1,448, Level: 5 Points: 1,448, Level: 5

Re: Coming out - April 28th 2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennaholt View Post
I'm bisexual. I was happy with the few people who knew about it. I never felt the need to tell my conservative family because I know my dad will never accept me and I had accepted the fact that I was only going to marry a guy. It didn't really bother me until recently. I was in an abusive relationship with a guy. We broke up. Now I'm extremely scared to be with men. I know I would feel much safer with a woman. But all of this struggle with coming out is new to me. A few of my close friends know. To some, I came out when I was tipsy because it was easier that way and to some, I came out through text. So I've never had to do this while completely sober. I'm thinking I should come out to my therapist first and I can't go to meet him while I'm under the influence of alcohol. I'm terribly scared of how he would react. I'm not sure if he's LGBT+ positive. And I'm really really scared.
Keep your mind clean and try to dig in, really.
Closed Thread