TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Heathen Offline
Beauty and Bedlam
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

I'm coming out to my family as trans - September 14th 2020, 10:12 PM

I'm trans (non-binary) and I've been socially and medically transitioning for about two months now. It's going REALLY well. I have lots of social support from my therapist and my friends, and, of course, the clinic prescribing my hormones. This past weekend I came out to my sister. I was hesitant to come out to her. I was pretty sure she would be open and accepting, but I held on to the letter in which I told her what was happening with me for a month. I'm really glad it went well. It's good to know someone in my family understands.

Because I've been on T for a while and noticeable changes will be happening soon, she advised I tell my parents soon, maybe by the end of this week. I went ahead and wrote a letter to them and I'm waiting to send it until my sister proofreads it and I feel comfortable. My sister confirmed my feeling that my parents are probably going to struggle with this. They're going to ask questions out of a place of caring and love but those questions might seem hurtful or invalidating. She also said this is probably an ongoing conversation and won't be resolved quickly. It's going to take time.

I just want to see if y'all have any advice on coming out when you know your audience isn't going to be very receptive. What do you say to make it easier for them, to explain your choices/reasoning, and deal with anxiety and anger? If you're given an ultimatum (like "stop taking hormones or we aren't going to support you anymore") how do you handle that? I am very scared my parents are going to ask me to stop taking hormones or else they'll withdraw financial support and I can't make it on my own. I don't want to lose their emotional support, either; I love my parents very much and that would hurt deeply. So how do I go about doing this?

The moon asked the crow
For a little show
In the hazy milk of twilight
No one had to know
The moon asked the crow...
  Send a message via Yahoo to Heathen  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance.

I can't get enough

Name: Emma

Re: I'm coming out to my family as trans - September 16th 2020, 10:06 PM

Hello, I am so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon. Sometimes when we have to tell others something about ourselves we are not sure how to tell them because they may not understand or they do not believe in it and I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with this. Would you be able to try writing a letter to them and put everything in it and then give it to them or put it in a spot that they will see it. For example on the bed in the bedroom or the dining table or another place for them to see it. You can have someone with you like another family member who knows this about you or a friend to help you out. Or I have this article on coming out and it talks about doing this with your parents, maybe it can help you some. It is, https://www.plannedparenthood.org/le...ming-out-trans No matter what happens, you are a lovely person inside and out, don't forget that. I hope that you will be okay soon and they will see the lovely person that we do. Hugs to help you.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor, Forum Moderator and Article Writer. PM/VM

ďDance is your pulse, your heartbeat, your breathing.
Itís the rhythm of your life.
Itís the expression in time and movement,
in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques díAmbroise

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.