TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

Transphobic friend/group in general - May 30th 2021, 10:05 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]Earlier today one of my friends sent a photo of a girl in our six form and said with the photo “no offence but she looks like a transgender woman”. This didn’t sit right with me and not one person said anything to her in the group chat (there’s around 12 of us) and so I called her out on it. She instantly got defensive and said that “she didn’t need to be educated”, and I replied with a calm tone trying to just tell her she shouldn’t make those types of comments. Well, a couple people in the group chat then began defending her saying that I attacked her for no reason. This isn’t the first incident of transphobia or homophobia within my group and I want to distance myself but I’m finding a hard time doing so. If anyone has any advice on how I can distance myself from the group then that’d be great. I have two really close friends in the group who are pretty content with staying and I don’t want to drift away from them, and I’m honestly at a loss of what to do. I’m just sick of being friends with these kind of people.[/size][/color][/font]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42 Points: 88,623, Level: 42

Re: Transphobic friend/group in general - June 1st 2021, 10:25 AM

Hello there,

Firstly, I want to say well done for sticking up for this person! It takes a lot of courage to do so and it seems like you did really well. It can be hard to be in a group where you don't see eye to eye with them. The only thing I can suggest is to do what makes you happy whether it be still being friends with those that are closer to you in the group and finding another group to be friends with or to remain in the group - the choice is ultimately up to you. It seems like however that you may not be happy with your current group of friends? I hope I helped and if there is anything, please let me know.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Transphobic friend/group in general - June 5th 2021, 08:00 PM

Hey there. First of all, I want to say it's really awesome that you stood up to your friends and defended the person they were making fun of. Peer pressure, especially among young people, can make it hard to speak out against the group when something transphobic, homophobic, racist, ableist, etc. is said. The fact you stood up not just for your beliefs, but for what's right, speaks volumes about your character. So thank you.

It's hard to leave a friend group, especially if it's been an established one for so long. But these are not the type of people you want to be friends with. It's not just the person(s) who made the comment; people who are complacent, and say nothing when these kinds of things happen, are just as much at fault. They are all part of the problem.

I think how you want to leave your friend group is up to you; I am not sure there's a "best" way to do it. You could make a public statement as to why you are leaving, and essentially cut them off all at once. You could slowly just fade out of conversation. There's options. As for your two friends you like, maybe you can talk to them. Let them know you're feeling upset about what's going on and you want to cut ties. I don't see why you can't be friends with them just because they're a part of the group and you aren't anymore. I think it can all work out with clear communication.

Good luck, and PM me if you need anything.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rika Offline
Chat Buddy

Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/they

Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16 Points: 13,432, Level: 16

Re: Transphobic friend/group in general - May 10th 2022, 05:55 PM

I drop them like a fly. I do not like transphobia, homophobia, or xenophobia of any kind. Always stand up for your friends and stop this sorta stuff.
Closed Thread