TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,543, Level: 59 Points: 172,543, Level: 59 Points: 172,543, Level: 59

National Coming Out Day - October 11th 2021, 04:21 PM

Today in the US is National Coming Out Day!

If you are out, what was coming out like? For me, I don't think I ever really had a "hey, I'm not straight," conversation and just kind of live my life and hope people get the hint.

If you're not out, do you want to come out? Please make sure you are safe to do so before you come out, your safety is incredibly important.

Whether you are out or not, remember that you are loved and valid. There will always be people who love and care about you. You can do this. <3

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount81

Edit avatar

Re: National Coming Out Day - October 11th 2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheek! View Post
For me, I don't think I ever really had a "hey, I'm not straight," conversation and just kind of live my life and hope people get the hint.
This is me too I just carry on and try not to engage in certain conversations that goes against my whole not-being-straight. I stopped watching a certain TV show on my favorite network because the main host (who is gay himself) exhibits strong -phobic tendencies and that is a serious trigger.

I do what I can avoid my triggers and honestly, the topics I prefer to avoid — with the exception of that show, which is really silly since it's a family-friendly network; not alluding to the guy's homosexuality — are just never really brought up. I think my nuclear family understands it; they never ask when I'll get a significant other or marry.

They're always buying me clothes or other accessories in my pride color scheme.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: National Coming Out Day - October 11th 2021, 08:44 PM

I've only really 'come out' to a couple of people, mainly my closest friends. I'm very open about being aromantic and asexual, but sometimes having a conversation about it ends up being a Q&A and as much as I don't mind answering questions and educating people, sometimes it's a pain to have the same conversations over and over. Mostly, I just tell people I have no interest in dating or marriage and that I'm happy on my own! My friends are so supportive though. They know I don't care if people know I'm not straight, so they're free to tell people and when they do they always answer the questions for me or come to me if they're ever unsure.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: National Coming Out Day - October 11th 2021, 09:22 PM

I've had to come out a couple of times, once as not-straight and, fifteen years later, as not-cis. Coming out as not-straight was much easier. I was a teen at the time and everyone I was friends with, and my immediate family, were supportive. I say "not-straight" specifically because my sexuality has changed a lot over the years. Started out as bi but now identify as queer. I was lucky to have support from loved ones, as well as local resources in general.

Coming out as not-cis was a different story. My friends and chosen family were incredibly supportive, as was my sister, but my parents took some time to warm up to the idea. They honestly still struggle a lot, but they are getting better about using the proper pronouns and my name. I appreciate their effort, but it still hurts that they could accept me for being something other than straight, but are more resistant to the idea I am not the gender I was assigned at birth. It just feels a bit like in their minds they still see me as a person I am not, and in some ways it makes my relationship with them a little strained, though they probably don't realize this. All in all, though, I feel supported and grateful to have that support, regarding both my sexuality and gender identity.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,709, Level: 42 Points: 88,709, Level: 42 Points: 88,709, Level: 42

Re: National Coming Out Day - October 14th 2021, 07:52 AM

I love this day!

Closed Thread