TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Brittany

I feel out of place in the gay community. - May 31st 2010, 11:20 AM

I don't fit a lesbian stereotype. I don't want to marry a stereotype. I don't really like how the gay rights movement conducts itself, and I feel hypocritical because I am gay.

I basically feel out of place, and that my views are not where they should be.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Tericon Offline
The Waistcoated Wonder
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Nat

Re: I feel out of place in the gay community. - May 31st 2010, 11:48 AM

I feel the same. I don't fit the stereotype either and have no wish to. My girlfriend doesn't look like the stereotype either. I have no desire to get involved in the gay rights movement, Id rather live my life in peace. Don't feel hypocritical. Be who you want to be. The teenager stereotype, at least round here in the UK is hoodies and booze, most of us aren't like that. Stereotypes are generalisations created by the media and don't nesscarily reflect real life.

Out of place? Who says you need to fit in a place? Its your life, go live it as you want to

'If you've got the inclination
I have got the crime' - Oppurtunites - PSB <3

'Reel me in and cut my throat' - World- The Killerz <3

When we fall in love, we're just fallin' in love with ourselves... - Spiralling- Keane <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: I feel out of place in the gay community. - May 31st 2010, 11:54 AM

Screw the stereotype. People say I don't "look" bisexual either. I mean, how different to heterosexual people act from eachother? It's the same with gays, bisexuals and lesbians. You're your own person

When my sister was in a relationship with a girl people assumed they were sisters before a couple.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: I feel out of place in the gay community. - May 31st 2010, 04:29 PM

A lot of lesbians don't fit the stereotype. I am one of them. Like heterosexuals, homosexuals and bisexuals come in all shapes and sizes. We are our own people. There is no reason to feel our of place. Live your life the way you see fit.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kiddo Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stevie

Re: I feel out of place in the gay community. - June 1st 2010, 12:31 AM

Same. People's willingness to fit themselves into the stereotypes really bugs me.
I agree with you particularly about the whole "Gay Rights/Pride" thing. I know a lot of people who actually use it as an excuse to look down on straight people and even alternative sexualities that aren't their own.

Anyway, the point is that it's fine to feel that way. You shouldn't let something inform your identity if you don't want it to, instead be proud that you're more individual than the people who think they are!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
sirjan xerdaj Offline
Pinkly Smooth .
Average Joe

Name: Xerdaj Sirjan

Re: I feel out of place in the gay community. - June 1st 2010, 05:33 PM

What do you mean? There's more than one lesbian stereotype. It's disgusting that you think that way ew... I'm kidding.

*scratches chalk board*

Where I'm from, we call the fakes and stereotypes, 'Fad Fags' and as offensively as it sounds that's the effect we're trying to give to those people who embarrass us on TV, parade around town with the persona 'LOOK AT MEEEEEeeeee~', or go to drag queen conventions show up walk around being a and then leave before the program starts. Do you want to give the LGBT community a face lift? YOU make a group with your friends and find people on craigslist so you can do something nice for the city. Be yourself. Screw stereotypes. And if people say something about it, flip em off.

[X E R D A J] ~Sessyrocks~
-=i wanna be your knight=-
  Send a message via AIM to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via MSN to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via Yahoo to sirjan xerdaj Send a message via Skype™ to sirjan xerdaj 
Closed Thread