TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

LGBT-Friendly society - April 1st 2011, 03:41 PM

I am not sure whether to put this here or in the LGBT forum. but I just have to ask.

What would an LGBT friendly society look like? Essentially what would society today look like if all the social stigma against LGBT was lifted. More then just a change in the laws, but a change in the culture of the Western world.

How would the cultural expectations change? Would there be a change in media to become more LGBT equal? Would there be social cues to allow LGBTs to identify each others sexuality? (i.e. a bracelet to represent that you are a lesbian and thus not looking for a man to date, ect.) Would their be more or less cultural integration between Heteros, Homos, and Bis?

How would the demographics of LGBT change? Would there be a dramatic shift in proclaimed LGBTs?

How would the Economy change? Would it be better, worse, or no change in the economy if LGBT was accepted?

How would social justice change? Would there be any change in Lawlessness, crime rate, and in general social stability?

How would the views on sexual maturing and adolescents in general be different? Would it expected for teenagers to go though a phase of sexual questioning and experimentation? Or would we grow up just KNOWING that we are gay or straight?

Discuss. Examples, analogies and a wicked imagination required. go for broke people!!

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!

Last edited by Kyeto-X; April 1st 2011 at 03:59 PM.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Points: 21,320, Level: 21 Points: 21,320, Level: 21 Points: 21,320, Level: 21

Re: LGBT-Friendly society - April 1st 2011, 04:40 PM

To me, I think an LGBT-friendly society would be one that treats the LGBT community no differently in any way in comparison to other people. This means that there is no persecution, condemnation, or hatred towards the LGBT community, but also, there is no real reason for a person to feel a need to explicitly declare or explain their sexual orientation, gender preference, or gender beliefs.

It should stand as an idea that there is no difference between an LGBT person and a straight person. Put the two next to each other, and they could be like two cars that are exactly the same year, model, trim, and price, but one is red and the other is blue. Should anybody really care about the differences? No.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: LGBT-Friendly society - April 1st 2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeto-X View Post
What would an LGBT friendly society look like?
The reasons, groups involved or promoting LGBT hatred would all have to be removed so it wouldn't just be a chance in people's view, it'd be removing many groups and a change in people's views. I would expect such a society to be relatively free from negative stigmas however, it wouldn't be one where everyone is fine with LGBT. There could be ignorance and people blaming LGBT as a reason for why certain people did something so it would develop counter views.

Quote:
How would the cultural expectations change? Would there be a change in media to become more LGBT equal?
Much of the media is driven on demand, that is, interest of people. If people are interested in LGBT but a greater amount is not, then the media may want to play in a way to please the larger group. However, to maintain balance, the media would show more LGBT content.

Quote:
Would there be social cues to allow LGBTs to identify each others sexuality? (i.e. a bracelet to represent that you are a lesbian and thus not looking for a man to date, ect.) Would their be more or less cultural integration between Heteros, Homos, and Bis?
Some people currently do wear items to identify their sexuality but if they go around doing this more and more, it segregates them. However, people are often able to figure out one's sexuality without needing to view braclets or pins on them. I suppose if LGBTs were equal, then doing so could drive a wedge between the LGBT group and society as well as within the LGBT group itself.

If they keep wearing items to show their sexuality, I think others may get annoyed with seeing that all over the place, causing hostility as it may be like people acting as though they were a broken record.

Quote:
Would there be a dramatic shift in proclaimed LGBTs?
Probably.

Quote:
How would the Economy change? Would it be better, worse, or no change in the economy if LGBT was accepted?
There may be more advertising for LGBT items and events, which could better the economy.

Quote:
How would social justice change? Would there be any change in Lawlessness, crime rate, and in general social stability?
I think the crime rate would be around the same but a change would be in the perception of people who commit offenses against LGBT members as they are more accepted.

Quote:
How would the views on sexual maturing and adolescents in general be different? Would it expected for teenagers to go though a phase of sexual questioning and experimentation? Or would we grow up just KNOWING that we are gay or straight?
I think there may be more people saying their sexual orientation as there's no longer any negative perception of it, although it wouldn't be expected for teenagers to go through experimentation.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: LGBT-Friendly society - April 1st 2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
The reasons, groups involved or promoting LGBT hatred would all have to be removed so it wouldn't just be a chance in people's view, it'd be removing many groups and a change in people's views. I would expect such a society to be relatively free from negative stigmas however, it wouldn't be one where everyone is fine with LGBT. There could be ignorance and people blaming LGBT as a reason for why certain people did something so it would develop counter views.
OK, yes, you are still going to have bigots no matter where you go. Interracial marriage has been legalized for 43 years now, and there are still racist who think this is an abomination. I am assuming most realistic scenario where a majority of the population does not care about, or is afraid of homosexual relationships.

Always a stickler for definitions WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! :P

But other then that, Good points so far I was kinda on edge about the whole "identifying bracelet" thing. I was thinking it would make courting go more smoothly as you could tell immediately if someone is even receptive to you sex or not. :P Of course, that stage could just be incorporated into the courting process where you identify what sexuality your potential partner is before you ask them out

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Points: 25,720, Level: 23 Points: 25,720, Level: 23 Points: 25,720, Level: 23

Re: LGBT-Friendly society - April 2nd 2011, 03:03 AM

Hey Will,

I'm actually going to move this to LGBT, since I think it'll get more responses there and it really isn't a debate.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: LGBT-Friendly society - April 2nd 2011, 04:12 AM

Are you all forgetting the T, again?

Collectively embracing gender and sex as both open to change as well as a spectrum rather than the currently accepted binary system will have tremendous impacts on the core of society. I'm not saying that overcoming homophobia won't be revolutionary, because it will and it will indeed be a landmark step in human history, but it won't be quite the same as overcoming transphobia.

So much of what is discussed among trans people seem unrealistic enough to be naive and laughable, but all of these things are very real concerns to us. Such as being able to change our legal gender status to one that we identify with, regardless of whether or not we've had surgery or any medical treatment at all for that matter - many of us cannot afford this, or are unable to do this for other health reasons, but does that make our identities any less real? Society says yes, but they arn't aware of how severely that impacts the psyche of the trans person.

Everything would change, if our society came to embrace gender diversity in its fullest. Just think about it.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread