TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29

bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 12:10 PM

Please sign the petition!!!
http://www.allout.org/en/petition/uganda

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 12:15 PM

Oh God that's awful

I tried to sign it but it didn't accept it

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mellifluous Offline
Moo with me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna, call me Rue

Points: 10,572, Level: 15 Points: 10,572, Level: 15 Points: 10,572, Level: 15

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 12:54 PM

signed and posted on my facebook wall!!!

You can find me here: http://mcrdoesmylaundry.tumblr.com/
Follow me, I'm pretty awesome

Gimme sympathy,
after all of this is gone.
Who would you rather be?
Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
Oh,seriously,
You're gonna make mistakes.
You're young.
Come on, baby.
Play me somethin'
like 'Here Comes the Sun'

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
I can't get enough

Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29 Points: 42,913, Level: 29

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 04:24 PM

thanks guys, yeah it's really awful, I hope the petition will have an effect

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

Last edited by bitesize; May 9th 2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: *effect, not affect. Bah (/grammar nazism)
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 07:30 PM

I signed it. It's horrible that things like this are happening in the world.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Points: 21,362, Level: 21 Points: 21,362, Level: 21 Points: 21,362, Level: 21

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 07:48 PM

I signed and posted on Facebook... I wonder what Amnesty have to say about it =S

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19 Points: 18,923, Level: 19

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:00 PM

I've signed it, at last. Here's hoping it makes a difference <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29 Points: 41,800, Level: 29

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:10 PM

I've signed it, got my mum to sign it too. I really hope they get enough signatures to stop it, it's absolutely terrible what they're planning to do and it needs to be stopped.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35 Points: 60,921, Level: 35

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:15 PM

Signed it and posted it on facebook. Might email it to my family later if I'm feeling brave too.
In all seriousness though, this really is awful and I sincerely hope that it's stopped.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23 Points: 25,797, Level: 23

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:16 PM

I have a question not trying to be a smart ass or anything this is serious. How are people signing an online petition going to help this? People can just submit their sign over and over again just change the email and your name. There is really no point to it, I do understand that what Uganda is doing is wrong this specific topic was been going on for at least 2 years I remember when someone posted a link here in TH some time ago. Can someone enlighten me? Please.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17 Points: 14,618, Level: 17

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post
I have a question not trying to be a smart ass or anything this is serious. How are people signing an online petition going to help this? People can just submit their sign over and over again just change the email and your name. There is really no point to it, I do understand that what Uganda is doing is wrong this specific topic was been going on for at least 2 years I remember when someone posted a link here in TH some time ago. Can someone enlighten me? Please.
If enough people pour in their support, both regular citizens and political figures, then they may be inclined to repeal it or risk facing a political shitstorm. Becuase we are not in Uganda, the only thing we can do to show our opposition is signing a petition.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythan View Post
If enough people pour in their support, both regular citizens and political figures, then they may be inclined to repeal it or risk facing a political shitstorm. Becuase we are not in Uganda, the only thing we can do to show our opposition is signing a petition.
I agree. Plus, I'd rather do something that didn't work than sit back and not do anything at all. Given my situation, being a teenager in a different country to Uganda, the only thing I can do is try and get it publicity. If this pertition does nothing except let people see it on my facebook, then it's still done something.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23 Points: 27,101, Level: 23

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:38 PM

A petition will change nothing. It's pointless to even try. If you're gay and you're in Uganda, get the hell out, that's the only useful advice heading your way. Their "human rights" are very different to ours and an online petition will do nothing about their warped view.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
I've been here a while

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
A petition will change nothing. It's pointless to even try. If you're gay and you're in Uganda, get the hell out, that's the only useful advice heading your way. Their "human rights" are very different to ours and an online petition will do nothing about their warped view.
You have no idea what a petition can do.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:44 PM

You have no idea how Uganda works. This is a country in which corruption is everywhere you look. If you go against the head of state, you will disappear.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I disagree. Regardless of whether it will change anything or not, it's not pointless to try.
It takes, what? Five minutes of your time?
If you don't want to sign it, I understand, but I still disagree with it being pointless.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
I've been here a while

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
You have no idea how Uganda works. This is a country in which corruption is everywhere you look. If you go against the head of state, you will disappear.
You think that will stop people from doing what is right?

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 9th 2011, 10:00 PM

I'm just saying it's pointless. I would never stop people signing a petition for any cause, but I've seen this circulating on Twitter and Facebook, and if you think the government of Uganda are going to listen then you're wrong. Pressure from international involvement, maybe, but even then it's highly unlikely. Get real, because this is a highly dangerous and completely backward bill. A petition and good thoughts are not what the homosexual community of Uganda needs right now, what they need is to get the hell out of there. If this bill goes through, you are breaking the law if you are straight and know of someone who is gay yet don't report them. I don't fancy breaking the law in Uganda, you will get tortured or killed.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I truly believe that this will have no effect on the outcome of this bill.

I would, of course, be happy to be wrong.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
I've been here a while

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 10th 2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:
I'm just saying it's pointless. I would never stop people signing a petition for any cause, but I've seen this circulating on Twitter and Facebook, and if you think the government of Uganda are going to listen then you're wrong. Pressure from international involvement, maybe, but even then it's highly unlikely. Get real, because this is a highly dangerous and completely backward bill. A petition and good thoughts are not what the homosexual community of Uganda needs right now, what they need is to get the hell out of there. If this bill goes through, you are breaking the law if you are straight and know of someone who is gay yet don't report them. I don't fancy breaking the law in Uganda, you will get tortured or killed.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I truly believe that this will have no effect on the outcome of this bill.

I would, of course, be happy to be wrong.
If colonist's had that attitude in the 1700's then America wouldn't be here, "Oh, telling our fellow colonist's to rise up won't do any good, if we oppose the British government they'll kill us, oh well".

One single act can change the world, Rosa Parks refusing to go to the back of the bus sparked the Civil Rights Movement nationwide. The Stonewall Riots sparked the Gay Rights Movement worldwide, you don't see how the most insignificant act of signing a petition or defying authority for what you know is right can have an amazing impact and the world.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Mellifluous Offline
Moo with me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna, call me Rue

Points: 10,572, Level: 15 Points: 10,572, Level: 15 Points: 10,572, Level: 15

Re: bill in next 72 hours could make being LGBT punishable by death in Uganda. - May 12th 2011, 07:39 AM

If no one ever tried to make a difference, nothing would ever get done.

You can find me here: http://mcrdoesmylaundry.tumblr.com/
Follow me, I'm pretty awesome

Gimme sympathy,
after all of this is gone.
Who would you rather be?
Beatles or the Rolling Stones?
Oh,seriously,
You're gonna make mistakes.
You're young.
Come on, baby.
Play me somethin'
like 'Here Comes the Sun'

Closed Thread