TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Merpop. Online
Under the sea...

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dezmaid

Cool My mother? GSA :) - December 6th 2011, 08:07 PM

This year is difficult for me in many ways and easy in others. I have two separate things to say here, so some good news and a question.

My mother says that she is accepting of LGBT people. She'll say that there's no problem with them getting married, just leave them be because they're not hurting anybody. My mom's colleague is a Christian to the point where she even says her gay brother is going to Hell, so my mom says stuff to rile her up about that because she thinks that LGBT people aren't hurting her. My health teacher is a lesbian and so was my 6-7th grade gym teacher, and we found out my 1st grade teacher was gay, but she was fine with that. However, sometimes she really bothers me, like there was some Disney star on TV and my mom commented saying he acts 'gayer than gay'. So I said "Oh well, that's legal," and she yelled at me for being "sarcastic" Or she's used the "fag" word before, or says "Oh God," when she sees a guy dressed in women's clothing. I identify myself as bisexual so those comments do offend me a bit, even though she doesn't know. She's 59. Do you think that she says some of those comments just because she grew up in a time when more people were homophobic, or do you think that she actually is okay with LGBT people?

The GSA is offered as a club at my school that meets during 7th period on Wednesdays during academics (one to two times a month depending on how the schedule works out). At first, I wasn't going to do it until next year when I was already out as bisexual (I'm planning on coming out on June 3rd, my birthday), but I was talking to my guidance counselor about my mother and she ended up convincing me to join the GSA. I'm finding myself a bit lighter knowing that SOME people know that I am bisexual (my guidance counselor and a select few friends, that's it), and that more will probably find out when I go to the GSA meeting tomorrow. I missed the first meeting, but that's okay. I'm glad that I made the decision to join.

Come with me
And you'll be
In a
World of
Pure imagination

Send a message via AIM to Merpop. Send a message via MSN to Merpop. Send a message via Yahoo to Merpop.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Rooni3 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Lena

Re: My mother? GSA :) - December 7th 2011, 04:50 PM

My parents do the exact same thing! They use the word dyke and fag all the time in a way I would not prefer to use it (unless I am calling myself a dyke lol)but when it comes down to it I don't think they're homophobes, I just think they are feeding into stereotypes that they know. You're mom is most likely not a homophobe, (:

Also,
Hooray! GSAs are a great way to get out there and interact with other just like you that aren't online! Double hooray! I'm glad you decided to join, I have GSA on Wednesdays too (:

"You know I'm such a fool for you"

PRIDE<3
(I have accepted myself as of October 20, 2011)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Merpop. Online
Under the sea...

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: My mother? GSA :) - December 7th 2011, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the answer. :P

What are some of the stuff that is talked about in your GSA? I already have a general idea of what's going to be talked about in ours, and we're open to suggest any topics, but I'm interested to see what other GSAs may talk about that ours doesn't. We had our first meeting today and I was so shy about it for some reason, I sat in the third row behind everyone else all quiet.

Come with me
And you'll be
In a
World of
Pure imagination

Send a message via AIM to Merpop. Send a message via MSN to Merpop. Send a message via Yahoo to Merpop.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
katpanda Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kat

Re: My mother? GSA :) - December 8th 2011, 04:53 AM

Your mum, from what you said is accepting of LGBT but maybe those little opinions she lets slide are just as a joke. I don't think she is being serious. I am pansexual myself and rarely I will call someone a fag or something but it is never serious.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: My mother? GSA :) - December 8th 2011, 06:40 PM

The best thing about GSA's is the fact that you don't have to feel like you absolutely have to come out if you don't want to. You can still wait to fully come out, but still attend meetings. And as for meetings, anything can be talked about or done. In high school, we had general discussions, watched movies, hung out.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Merpop. Online
Under the sea...

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: My mother? GSA :) - December 9th 2011, 01:01 AM

Yeah, I've come out to a few people, mainly people in the club and a few select people, but not everybody knows, I may tell my parents on my birthday an go from there. And yeah, that seems like what we're going to do. The counselor running it is actually my counselor and I talked to her about my mom so she knows I'm bi, and I pretty much mentioned (quiietly) that I want to learn more about coming out, so maybe the rest of the class got the hint.

Come with me
And you'll be
In a
World of
Pure imagination

(#7 (permalink)) Old
snoogums Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Blue

Re: My mother? GSA :) - December 10th 2011, 04:23 AM

It`s good that you have come out to some people about this For me I felt pretty good when I started to realize what I am and even better when I told someone about it and they accepted me for it. My mom is similar to yours she says she accepts me and she accepts LGBT but then she will make rude comments. I think the reason she does that is just because it is what she is used to and she doesnt think of it and maybe she wants to be accepting of it but needs more time to become fully accepting. I bet when you do talk to your mom about it more and about yourself she might open up to the idea even more. Good luck with everything.

Closed Thread