TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cactus Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kaitlyn

Points: 9,079, Level: 13 Points: 9,079, Level: 13 Points: 9,079, Level: 13

Question Should i come out as trans? - February 20th 2012, 03:24 PM

I've felt it for a year and a half, fought it for over a year, and I recently accepted it. I've come out for a few friends who have all been extremely supportive.
Now here's my issue. I've been letting Kaitlyn (my true self) out more and more often. I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail and I've even let her talk to some people. I had the most amazing girl day with my ex, one of my most supportive friends.
My plan since the day I accepted it was to wait til college, see a therapist, and start a hormone regiment. Good plan, right? That's when I was going to finally tell my parents. The problem is that Kaitlyn is like a drug. I let her out and soon I want her to take over. I'm tempted to cut my plans short and tell my parents soon, that way I wont have to hide. But I don't want them to treat me differently. What should I do?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ConnorGlosoli Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Connor

Points: 7,693, Level: 12 Points: 7,693, Level: 12 Points: 7,693, Level: 12

Re: Should i come out as trans? - February 20th 2012, 05:16 PM

Hey Kaitlyn, I know just how you feel. I'm ftm and in pretty much the same situation, i let Connor out more and more but I've told my parents and they aren't accepting at all, they're really against the whole idea and everything...
Then again, it depends on they type of people your parents are... they could be cool with it
The best thing to probably do is to wait until your ready. Everything will fall into place at some stage and it'll all be fine
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Points: 8,622, Level: 13 Points: 8,622, Level: 13 Points: 8,622, Level: 13

Re: Should i come out as trans? - February 20th 2012, 11:06 PM

They shouldn't treat you differently. You're just the same person you were an hour before you told them, and they should accept you just for who you are. If they do, try explaining that you're still the same person.
If you feel you're ready, I think you should tell them now, you shouldn't need to hide who you are. If you're not ready, take your time and tell them when you think it's the right time to. Good luck

You believe there's somewhere else
Where it's easier than this
And you see outside yourself
And you buy the hole you'll fill
-Foo Fighters
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Points: 12,875, Level: 16 Points: 12,875, Level: 16 Points: 12,875, Level: 16

Re: Should i come out as trans? - February 21st 2012, 03:30 AM

No one should ever have to hide their true self. So, I think that when you truly feel that it's the right time for you to tell them, then you should. And if that's now, then great! Your parents should accept you for who you are. And though it might take them time to come around, hopefully they'll realize that you're still you in the end. Good luck with everything

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
will was here Offline
You're stronger than you think
Average Joe

Name: Will!

Points: 9,811, Level: 14 Points: 9,811, Level: 14 Points: 9,811, Level: 14

Re: Should i come out as trans? - February 21st 2012, 08:27 PM

I've found that gender is more of a grey area than people think. It's not black and white. we all have both male and female pieces to us. I heard somewhere that in our dreams the men and woman characters we see there are all parts of us. So Kaitlyn is a part of you and so is your male side. It's all a matter of who YOU are and who you want to become most in your heart. Both sides both so important because they are both a part of you. In the end though which side you choose to represent you also defines the wonderful you. Don't let anyone stop you from seeing your true self. Don't let your parents not see you for who you are. They deserve to know they have a daughter. I'm sure it will be very hard for them to comprehend. Only you know when is the right time to share that part of yourself with them.
I hope very much you find happiness.
Sincerely, william

flower
hello my heart where have you been
I missed you when you left
you ran away with that senseless boy
and left me dim and dry
like a faded flower in the mist

Come back my heart. you have a home here
In this place that is my soul
I want to feel like whole again. don't waste your time with him

Have faith my heart. You'll get a second chance
come back to me and you will not be alone
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread