TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbt-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   NATIONAL DAY OF SILENCE (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbt-sexuality-gender-identity/t96657-national-day-silence/)

*thegirlinthecorner-TAN* March 7th 2012 07:10 PM

NATIONAL DAY OF SILENCE

SO I'VE BEEN PLANNING TO DO THE NATIONAL DAY OF SILENCE FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS NOW. WHO'S WITH ME?
I FOUND A POEM ON THE 'DO SOMETHING' WEBSITE AND I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE IT WITH THE LGBT COMMUNITY AROUND HERE. HERE IT IS.

Silence implies consent.
Silence is more musical than any song.
The innocent is the person who explains nothing.
Silence is the genius of fools and one of the virtues of the wise.
Silence will save me from being wrong, but it will also deprive me of the possibility of being right.
Be silent, or speak something worth hearing.
Silence is one of the hardest arguments to refuse.
In human interaction the tragedy begins, not when there is misunderstanding about words, but when silence is not understood.
The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace.
Silence is a fence around wisdom
When something important is going on, silence is a lie.
It’s better to keep one’s mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and resolve all doubt.
The most profound statements are often said in silence.
What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we do our eyes.
Still waters run deep.
Silence is golden when you can’t think of a good answer.
True silence is the rest of the mind; it is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.
Their silence is sufficient praise.
Silence is one of the great arts of conversation.
He who does not know how to be silent will not know how to speak.
Men of few words are the best men.
I have often regretted my speech, never my silence.
There are grammatical errors even in his silence.
Silence is also speech.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Silence is a text easy to misread.
To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.
A man’s silence is wonderful to listen to.
Keep your mouth closed until your mind is in gear.
Silence is never more golden than when you hold it long enough to get all the facts before you speak.
Silence is golden.
I went down with the ship but I kept my mouth shut so I didn’t drown like the rest of them.
Silence and reserve will give anyone a reputation for wisdom.

Evil Princess March 7th 2012 07:53 PM

Re: NATIONAL DAY OF SILENCE

I plan on doing it :) I think it is great that you shared the poem with us and are planning on doing it :)
take care
~Jennet~

*thegirlinthecorner-TAN* March 7th 2012 07:56 PM

AWESOME! SPREAD THE WORD!

vagab0nd March 7th 2012 10:23 PM

What is the National Day of Silence? I haven't heard anything about it.

TheCrowing March 8th 2012 12:05 AM

I don't personally participate (for reasons I will not disclose), but I support the cause and the point of it. I encourage everyone to think about doing it if that's what they feel is right.

Henry Tyrell March 8th 2012 12:11 AM

I'm looking forward to the Day of Silence as well.

Roy-kun231 March 8th 2012 12:17 AM

I'm going to participate. :)

Guile March 8th 2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToGoOmniscient (Post 829653)
What is the National Day of Silence? I haven't heard anything about it.

Of course you haven't, you won't heeeaaaaar anything! :D

Viky March 8th 2012 01:08 AM

What is the national day of silence?

Henry Tyrell March 8th 2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viky (Post 829759)
What is the national day of silence?

Quote:

The Day of Silence is the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network's (GLSEN) annual day of action to protest the bullying and harassment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) students and their supporters. Students take a day-long vow of silence to symbolically represent the silencing of LGBT students and their supporters. The 2012 Day of Silence is April 20
Really, they picked 420 for the Day of Silence? WTH?

Merpop. March 8th 2012 01:14 AM

I'll definitely try to participate. For some reason I always miss the important events, though. >> I'm hoping that we will be able to meet with our GSA at least once more before the event, just to get more people on board.

ForgetMeNot9 March 8th 2012 02:05 AM

I participated every year when I was in high school! :D I'm definitely going to try to do it this year!

Viky March 8th 2012 02:52 AM

I shall participate, now that i know what it is and when x3 thank you!!

DanceCommander March 8th 2012 04:40 AM

I don't participate, but I do support the cause and those that do.

*thegirlinthecorner-TAN* March 8th 2012 06:49 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vagab0nd March 8th 2012 07:25 PM

Thanks for the info (finally :glare:) and I will try to participate.

Boobies March 8th 2012 07:35 PM

Because, you know, staying silent is the best way to show your support?

Akeas March 8th 2012 07:46 PM

I am going to partisipate

*thegirlinthecorner-TAN* March 8th 2012 07:49 PM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR GETTING INVOLVED

Peppermint. March 8th 2012 08:37 PM

I don't think I necessarily agree with the poem, but I DO support the cause.
I won't be participating in it this year, as I work as a barista. Which.. requires me to talk to people.

Ignite March 8th 2012 09:27 PM

I do it every year. I think if you have a job or oral exam, that is completely different than just not supporting the cause. You can still support even if you have to for work, by posting about it on Facebook when the days are coming up, and showing positive recognition when somebody is doing it. :) There are so many ways to support! And to the haters of National Day of Silence, peaceful revolution is the most loud. Day of Silence shows people the voices you do not hear when you want to try and silence the gay movement. No, you're not "giving into" the expectations or whatever. :nosweat: I hear so much hate against Day of Silence, and I really don't understand it.

vagab0nd March 9th 2012 12:59 AM

I'm gonna try, I don't know how I'd be able to do that during school, but I'll talk to my teachers about it. Even if it means staying silent until I'm ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to talk... you know?

Edit: Talked to my mom bout it. Basically, she said, screw school, talk to your teachers about it, tell them the reason, stand up for your rights. So I WILL be participating.

*thegirlinthecorner-TAN* March 9th 2012 06:54 PM

Thanks so much everyone.
The thing that cinched it for me was when 3 guys in my physics class said "Being GAY is just a PHASE" ummmm excuse me, its a lifestyle, not a phase. most of us didn't choose to be this way. we were BORN THIS WAY.

George^^ March 10th 2012 12:01 AM

... Now that I know about what it is, I'd like to participate, but I wouldn't know how. Moments like this makes me really wish my school had a GSA, too bad they decided to say "NO" to me, but they'll have an anti-bullying club that has basically done nothing but talk to people who were just trying to find out if some rumour was true.

Masquerade. March 10th 2012 02:17 AM

Unfortunately, I won't be participating this year. I have to host an event that day. :( However, I definitely support the cause and I'll be encouraging those who are being silent on that day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToGoOmniscient (Post 830372)
I'm gonna try, I don't know how I'd be able to do that during school, but I'll talk to my teachers about it. Even if it means staying silent until I'm ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED to talk... you know?

A lot of people will carry something with them to show their teachers explaining what they're doing and why. Every teacher I've encountered has respected that and left the student alone for the day.

Merpop. March 10th 2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iris. ♥ (Post 831041)
A lot of people will carry something with them to show their teachers explaining what they're doing and why. Every teacher I've encountered has respected that and left the student alone for the day.

That is extremely true, and I hope that most teachers will respect that. I'm not sure if I actually will be able to do it, since I have a really difficult time talking to adults about this sort of thing, so I probably will even get too nervous to bring it up to the GSA adviser, but I'm going to be as silent as I can anyway. :nosweat:

George^^ March 11th 2012 04:14 AM

the carrying thing is genious! and... I was worried for a moment that it's on March 20th, because I'm of course, flying down to a conference, so I'd need to be able to talk! thank god it's April through :D

vagab0nd March 11th 2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iris. ♥ (Post 831041)

That's what my mom said. She suggested like, a button or pin to stick on my shirt, or I suggested making a shirt, etc. I'm also blessed that I have very understanding teachers, so I believe I won't have much of a problem. I also have a speech impediment, anyways, so I will be glad to not have to talk for an entire day haha xD
All jokes aside, I can't wait. I attend a very homophobic school, and I can't wait to show them that it's okay, I'm okay, and they should be too. I'm hoping I won't be the only one at my school participating, but if I am, I'm gonna show those students that bullying in any form is not okay, love is love regardless of gender, and that tolerance is key to living a long and happy life.

Jessie March 11th 2012 01:49 PM

"Silence is one of the great arts of conversation." Favorite line :) Nice poem!

My GSA's planning to do it, so I shall be taking a mini whiteboard with me to school that day ^^

letgoslowly March 11th 2012 11:13 PM

The GSA in my school is doing it and hopefully we'll have other people participate too!

*thegirlinthecorner-TAN* March 13th 2012 01:44 AM

awesome spread the word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verità March 15th 2012 08:02 PM

My school's GSA is participating, but since our vacation falls on the 20th, we'll be doing it a week earlier instead. :)

Solivagant March 15th 2012 11:26 PM

I love the poem!
I want to participate, but I don't know what I am supposed to do? :?

*thegirlinthecorner-TAN* March 16th 2012 01:11 AM

you just dont talk all day

Alex Vause March 16th 2012 01:40 AM

I'm so looking forward to the National Day of Silence! I did it last year with my friend we took white boards to school to spread why we were silent. We got most of the people in the school to participate it was so fun. :D

Teddscau March 18th 2012 07:27 PM

That's what the Day of Silence is? At my high school they told us we were being silent for those who don't have a voice (children in sweatshops, children living in poverty, etc.), not for LGBT issues. Of course, I do go to a Catholic high school, so that probably has something to do with it... And this is one of the reasons I don't identify with churches (I'm a Christian independent from any churches).

Dude, when it's time again for the Day of Silence, I'm totally dressing in... wait, we have a uniform... I'll just wear LGBT accessories, unless of course it's a dress down day. Must...find...LGBT buttons! Maybe that one friend I know has them... Yep, pretty sure she does.

Solivagant March 18th 2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfreak123 (Post 834590)
I'm so looking forward to the National Day of Silence! I did it last year with my friend we took white boards to school to spread why we were silent. We got most of the people in the school to participate it was so fun. :D

That is an amazing idea! I'll do it too!
But hold on, it is the "National" Day of Silence and I am in India, I guess I should still do it right?

*thegirlinthecorner-TAN* March 20th 2012 06:50 PM

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FriendZoneMayor March 22nd 2012 05:56 AM

Our campus's GSA-esque group is holding an entire Pride Week leading up to the DOS on 4//20 :)
I know this cuz I'm on the committee :hehe:

Tyr. March 22nd 2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Learningtobreathe* (Post 829527)
Silence implies consent.

I don't get it.

So every rapist should carry a roll of duct tape?

- Yogi

EDIT: This poem makes no sense at all. Who wrote this debacle?