TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jimmy :P Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jimmy

how to come out homophobic parents - April 16th 2012, 09:23 AM

how to come out to very homophobic parents as im pansexual but ill say bisexual
im a 17 male and i just want to tell them i dont care any more i nearly poped it out yesterday but i think i dont want to because of other stuff that is going on in my life at the moment but yea any advice on how i should come out

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: how to come out homophobic parents - April 16th 2012, 09:42 AM

It might not be the best time to come out right now. If you're still financially dependent on them, and you still live at home, it's not the best time to come out to very homophobic parents. Once you leave for college, if you're going to college, or are set at your own home or apartment, that may be the best time to come out.

That's just a suggestion, however. You're still free to do as you wish. I was blessed with an extremely liberal family, so I was able to come out without fear of any backlash from my family. Yours may not be the case if it's your entire family that's also homophobic.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: how to come out homophobic parents - April 16th 2012, 03:04 PM

I don't know if you have a better relationship with one parent over the other, but you need to consider the worst case scenario when you come out to them. Like for a lot of people going to college wouldn't be good enough if their parents incomes are to high and the parents pay the tuition and stuff. So you need to consider what you will lose by telling them, especially if they're homophobic and/or very religious. Like the person said, if your dependent on them for major things like finances and a home, you might want to wait until you have a back up plan there.
BUT if you think you can tell them with out any serious backlash, I would suggest trying to talk a bit about it and asking them to try to be open about what you have to say and let you get it all out before they make any judgements and tell them that until you stand up, they're not allowed to freak out or start making accusations or anything. Just carefully broach the subject and tell them as sensitively as possible. I KNOW you should just be able to talk to them, however, since you know they're homophobic and you don't want to cause any major drama, playing on their turf and telling them it in a way that will freak them the less will be best. Now, I can't give you wording or anything cause i don't know your parents and I don't know how your family operates but yeah, that's what I think

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: how to come out homophobic parents - April 16th 2012, 03:40 PM

Jimmy, the real question here is why you feel so strongly at this particular time to come out to them. What's your reason?

It has to be very good if you're still living with them and they're very unlikely to accept this easily!

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

Closed Thread