TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   friends with ex?! (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t106906-friends-ex/)

prettygale17 July 25th 2012 04:06 AM

friends with ex?!

well me and my bf have just broken up he broke up with me but i want to continue a friendship with him how can i do that?:)

HisPrincess July 25th 2012 02:42 PM

Re: friends with ex?!

Well honestly I think it depends on how close you were when you both started dating and how the break up itself happened. If you both just kinda jumped into the dating relationship, it will be a lot harder to remain friends with this guy. Or if the break up didn't go very well, that can also make it hard to remain friends.

I'm not sure how long ago it was that you both broke up, but remember to give him some time initially. A break up's going to hurt regardless of how close the both of you two were beforehand or whether or not you two want to end up being friends. I think after you give things some time, you can casually talk to him and maybe see if he wants to still continue a friendship. What this is going to take in my opinion, anyway, is communication. Communicate with him your desire to remain friends and see what happens. Sometimes, depending on your ex, remaining friends can be really hard to accomplish. But if the relationship was a good one(not abusive, not harmful to you or him), the break up itself ended well, and you guys started out close friends, I think you have a good chance of being able to remain friends with this guy. But it depends on the guy so you'll have to see. :) Hope everything turns out.

~Angelica

DeletedAccount56 July 25th 2012 08:06 PM

How long has it been since you guys broke up? Was it amicable?
Maybe give you both sometime to accept that the relationship is over. If you rush straight into being friends then some feelings that havent quite been dealt with may crop up.

After a little bit of time, chat to him and see how he'd feel with being friends.

I hope all goes well.

PSY July 26th 2012 12:24 AM

Well, seeing as you two just broke up, I think it's a little too soon to jump into a friendship. Is it possible? Absolutely! You need time to heal, though, and I'm afraid the lines may become blurred if you try to jump into a friendship when you're still feeling hurt about the break-up. Wait until you've gained closure in that regard, then see if you two can have an amicable friendship.

Always * July 28th 2012 03:52 PM

I do think it is possible to have a friendship with an ex, but I think when you have JUST broken up it is QUITE complicated cause there are so many residual feelings still there that complicate it. Example: you need to honestly think how you'd feel if he started dating another girl like tomorrow. It is totally possible to be friends with a person who you once dated, people do it all the time, and depending on the circumstances you broke up in, you guys may not really be bothered by being friends yet, but most people need some time before they can be good and honest friends