TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

View Poll Results: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords?
Yes 10 30.30%
No 14 42.42%
Other - explain 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 04:57 AM

I just had a random thought in bed last night and figured I'd ask it.

Do you and your significant other have each other's cell phone passwords? Why or why not, and how often do you enter their phone?

If you've never dated/aren't in a relationship you can use what you think would happen/what you've done in the past.

But I basically was wondering about trust last night and it turned into a big cycle for me. I've never dated anyone either but I feel if I asked for their cell password and the answer was no, it'd make it seem as if there was something to hide, or if I asked at all it means I don't trust them. But then I'd feel as if logging in to their phone would be betraying their privacy and basically making it seem as if I don't trust them. And of course the same would go for me if I didn't give my partner my password or they logged in to my phone.

So, what have you all done and what are your thoughts?

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 05:05 AM

I voted other. Right now I don't have a partner nor a cell phone but when I did I didn't have a password on my cell nor was I dating anyone during that at the time was close enough to physically get to it anyway.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PureStorm Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 05:18 AM

"We will install cameras on every corner. If you've really got nothing to hide, you won't resist."
Totally reminded me of that! Hell no I won't give out my cell phone password and am not interested in her's (when I am in a relationship, isn't the case right now).
I always got a take it all or leave it attitude. She can either completely trust me, or if she doesn't trust me she can leave at any time, I'll show her the door. I'm a man and one can trust my word, so I'd feel offended if they wanted to spy around what I'm doing just so they get the confirmation that what I said is true...Gives me the feeling my word cannot be trusted -> they don't respect me as a man.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 05:20 AM

Yeah, see, that's where my mind's circling ended up, actually, that it'd lead to a lot of suspicion and trust issues to have it.

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 09:45 AM

I don't have a password on my phone and I don't think my partner does either so it's not really an issue. That said, I'm not really that interested in snooping through his phone and as far as I know he's never snooped through mine.

I feel like if you asked for it you'd be setting yourself up for them feeling like you don't trust them and they may say no just out of principle even if they don't have anything to hide. I've heard of quite a few couples just giving people their passwords to things once they've been together a while though.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 10:09 AM

My boyfriend hasn't got a password on his phone, I have one mainly to stop my sister and mum from snooping though, and my boyfriend's seen me type it in. We trust each other though, I have no need to look through his phone and neither does he.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fricks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 10:21 AM

My girlfriend and I know all of each others passwords. We're just more comfortable knowing them.

Last edited by Fricks; August 19th 2013 at 08:02 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 12:09 PM

My wife doesn't have a password on her phone and she knows mine. It's not so much so that people can't get into my phone, it's so I don't pocket dial people so I don't mind her knowing. I play around on her phone all the time, not to snoop but just to mess around, neither of us have anything to hide so it's never bothered either of us.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 01:32 PM

Me and my boyfriend have each others cell phone passwords. He got my password because I always tell it to him when I change it in case I forget it and I got his because I've seen him type it in many times. We both have cell phone passwords so that friends or family don't snoop through our phones.
I've used his phone to play games when mine died.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 03:34 PM

I keep a password on my phone for a reason: because I travel alone. I take my phone when I travel, even overseas, for safety reasons. I usually keep it off if I am outside of Canada or the USA, but I do buy necessary packages to ensure it is usable, even if it's only in short doses, in case a phone call becomes necessary. This means my phone is probably a lot easier to end up stolen or lost.

I also don't think I need to be sharing my password with someone. It's my damn password. I'm not going to tolerate a paranoid boyfriend who doesn't trust me EVER again, in my opinion that is potentially grounds for ending a relationship, especially because I have had extremely bad experience with an insecure guy becoming controlling because he didn't trust me and felt like he was losing me. It was his own behaviour that drove him away from me. The fact of the matter is that I am an extremely loyal person and if i am in a serious relationship with a guy I'd expect him to understand that well enough to not expect my phone to be password protected.. If a guy can't figure that out then what am I doing with him? It's not as if I have a password on my phone cause I am hiding anything, like I said, it's simply to give a little extra protection if it is stolen or lost (particularly while travelling). Of course a password can be broken, but it's still more secure then if I did not have the password........ And frankly, the only reason one would NOT want a password on their partners phone (or want to know the password) is because they want to know that they can snoop without their partner knowing if need be. And that's not ok in my opinion. If a guy needs to use my phone he can ask, I'll unlock it and hand it over. But I am not a person who will tolerate a guy looking through my texts.

And that goes for my partners too. If they choose to protect their phone with a password that's their choice and I'd assume their reasons were as valid as mine. I'd never ask to go through it and would never ask know their password. If he/she gives me the password then so be it. But I'd never take advantage of that (just like I'd expect them to do the same for me if they had mine). I'd NEVER read their texts or emails or anything like that. And frankly I think if I held that little trust for my partner where I seriously considered it, then I'd sit down and tell them that they've done X, Y and Z to make me question their faithfullness (or whatever else) and that I haven't been able to shake the feeling and feel like i need to go through their phone to find answers, I'd tell them I odn't want a relationship with that little trust and that if they can't find a way to reconcile that then the relationship is likely to end.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 04:13 PM

Doesn't apply to phones since.neither of us have passcodes, but neither of us know each other's laptop passwords. I trust him with his privacy and he trusts me with mine.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 04:44 PM

Neither of us have phone passwords, but we both know each other's laptop password and Facebook password.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 06:01 PM

I've never dated, but I feel there wouldn't be any point being in a relationship with someone if my trust for them was so low I needed to know their passwords and whatnot.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Wickgaga Offline
Average Joe

Name: Malorey

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 19th 2013, 06:18 PM

I'm another not in a relationship or with a phone that has a password; but my OH would not get the password to my phone, as there is no need for her to have it or to go through my phone. Same with my laptop, which does have a password. I also have no interest in going through my (future) OH's phone (or laptop). Plus, both things are being used by me or by my side at all times, and I'm not one to give my things to other people to use or look at in general. Heck, I have a hard enough time letting people into my bedroom, when there is nothing in there to hide or anything.

"They can't scare me, if I scare them first."

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 20th 2013, 06:40 PM

I voted other because neither of us have passwords on our phones although on our previous phones we both did and we knew each others password. We don't invade each others privacy and go through the messages or anything but I would worry if there was a password, it was because there was something to hide, especially if they wouldn't tell me.

I don't mind sharing any passwords with my partner, I have nothing to hide and I know I can trust her with them all.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 20th 2013, 07:25 PM

Yes I know his and he knows mine, it's not really a big deal we really have nothing to hide, plus it's not like I go check his messages or calls.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Pug girl!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bre :3

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 21st 2013, 03:23 AM

I went with no, because he doesn't have mine. Though he has been on my phone and has seen what's on it. I have nothing on there to hide and neither does he so.

LIVE HELP ASSOCIATE
08/07/14 Social Networking Team

She walks away the colors fade to grey. - Black Keys

Keep your head up, you're only one grey day away from sunshine.

10/15/2015- The day he came into my life and made it all okay.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 21st 2013, 08:44 PM

My boyfriend has one but I don't know it, I've never asked for it. I don't really want it. It's his phone, not mine. I actually haven't got a password on mine, I doubt he has ever looked through my phone.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 22nd 2013, 03:45 PM

Yes,
It wasn't a big deal, he asked me to check something on his phone because he was busy and I picked it up and said what's the pin and he told me.
He knew mine because before he got his new phone he used it for games and stuff.

I don't snoop around his phone if I use it and I don't think he snoops around mine, I don't have anything to hide anyway. We trust each other and I like that he is comfortable with me playing a game on his phone or something, I'd worry if he was really secretive and over protective with his phone.
I only have a password because I leave my phone in my bag on placement and uni and for if I left it lying around my student house because I didn't trust my old house mates. He has a password for the same reasons and he has a younger sister who would probably snoop

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 22nd 2013, 10:28 PM

I'm entertained that most people voted no, but most explanations are telling why they do. If you voted for no, I'd like to see you explain. I feel like it's almost a difference in how people define trust; some people define trust in that if you trust somebody or are to be trusted, you should be willing to share your info. Others define trust by allowing everybody to their privacy unless shared. I'm personally of that "no" idea, and I know there are more of you out there, so I'm confused why others won't explain.

Psychoanalyzing you all and why you don't want to explain.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 23rd 2013, 01:24 AM

Neither of us password-protect our phones... although, now that I think about it, we probably should, in case our phones ever get lost/stolen and someone tries to access our information.

If we DID password-protect our phones, I imagine we would share them with each other. I know the password for his computer, and I know some of the passwords for his accounts. I don't think he knows any of mine, but if he asked, I'd share them with him. That wasn't the case with any of my previous boyfriends; however, because my boyfriend and I are planning to get married in a few years, we're thinking long-term, when we'll have joint bank accounts, credit card accounts, etc. Neither of us has anything to hide, and neither of us would intentionally "snoop" to see what the other person has been up to. =P

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
DemonQueen Offline
amber_teh_shark since 2004
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 23rd 2013, 01:28 PM

I said no but only because neither of us have a password on our phones. I used to but it turned into this big trust fight because he thought I was cheating on him and being "secretive" because of the password. So I eventually took the password off. Mind you, I had given him my password MANY times and he could look at my phone whenever he wanted. Although I hate it when people look at my phone.

I've been through hell and back and came out stronger than ever.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 23rd 2013, 05:25 PM

I find it interesting that people are being all "I won't give him/her my password, he/she should trust me!" when with me, I trust my partner not to use my phone to spy on me. When I did have a password, she knew it, and I know hers. Just because we've seen each other type it or it's easy to guess.
We don't have this because we don't trust each other, but because we do. I'd trust her with my life, the least I can do it believe she won't break my phone if she uses it.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 23rd 2013, 05:49 PM

I have a password on my phone, and he knows the password. He doesn't have one on his cause it's a dumb phone and I don't know that it even gives the option of a password, but either way we don't go through each others phones. We have no need too. We trust each other.

I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are
LHO|PM|VM
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 25th 2013, 01:49 PM

He has the worst passwords in the history of passwords. And we mess about with each others stuff a lot, so yeah we know them. Didn't even cross my mind actually

Take as long as you need.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
DanceCommander Offline
Don't Panic
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 26th 2013, 03:45 AM

I am very particular about my passwords. I generally don't give them to anybody, not even my partners. I know my boyfriend's cell phone password, just because once he needed me to get into his phone for him while he was tied up with someone else, but he does not know mine.

I think a certain degree of privacy, when it comes to personal possessions and space, is healthy in a relationship. I don't take food off my partners plate without asking, for example. Similarly, if I want to use their computer or cell phone for something, I ask them to. It shows respect. There is no reason why they would tell me no, just as I would not tell my partner no if they wanted to use my cell phone, but it says "hey, I respect that this is yours; may I use it?"

I like to be asked, and I like to ask my partners. That's all there is to it. It's nothing to do with trust, because I do trust my partners, and they do trust me. I just like having space. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to."
"I don't much care where-"
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go."

~The Chesire Cat to Alice~
  Send a message via Yahoo to DanceCommander  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 26th 2013, 04:39 AM

Hmm, nice question. Well, my whole group of friends all know each others passwords. xD crazy, I know. I wouldn't be that open if my phone did have a password. But if my future bf asked, I'd prob ask why...then when he gave a good reason, I'd most likely give it to him. But I have trust issues...major trust issues, so can't say for sure haha

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Oasis Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 26th 2013, 05:09 AM

I didn't vote on the poll because I don't know which one to pick.
I normally don't have a passcode on my phone, and he doesn't have one either, but I look through his messages from time to time, not often. I guess it's a compulsive thing rather than a trust issue. I know his Facebook password, but he gave it to me in case I had to do something for him on his account. So... I don't know how to answer this.

[stydia/sanora]

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 27th 2013, 11:54 PM

I said other because my boyfriend and I don't have passwords for our phones. And we don't care at all if one of us uses the other's phone. We don't hide anything from each other, at all. I use his phone right in front of him all the time, he'll just go on cuddling me or whatever he's doing.

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#30 (permalink)) Old
rac146 Offline
Missing Molly
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ruth

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 28th 2013, 01:26 AM

I picked "other" because he doesn't have a cell phone, and I don't have a password on mine. He used my phone frequently, I don't mind. It doesn't matter. We know each other's laptop passwords, but that was more of a "hey league of legends needs to be updated, can you start both laptops updating while I fix food?" thing. I COULD snoop his fb if I wanted, he's logged into internet explorer on my laptop. I don't though.

I should point out we didn't get this level of transparency until we'd been together for nearly 3 years, and lived together for several months. Knowing he can get into my computer if I need him to or he needs to actually makes things easier.

Look a rattata!!!!

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Do you and your partner have each other's cell phone passwords? - August 28th 2013, 01:51 AM

Hello,

I have been in a serious relationship and he offered to give me his phone unlock. I refused and told him I trusted him. But, he took it (he's overly sensitive) as I didn't want it. I did, but I thought it was what he wanted.

I think if we dated longer I would have taken it but oh well.

Jay.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

Closed Thread