TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
liddy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lydia

Points: 7,781, Level: 12 Points: 7,781, Level: 12 Points: 7,781, Level: 12

how do I tell my parents - September 11th 2013, 05:21 PM

So I met my first boyfriend online on tumblr and he's helped me try and recover from self harm and depression and im helping him too.im 14 he's 17 we skype like eveyday and I love him so much how can I tell my parents cos I want to meet him and I know he isnt some kind of paedo how can I tell them because we have been going out for 2 months now its long distance and I just love him so fucking much and this wouldnt be something weird like we wouldn't break the law you know but how can I tell my mum
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21 Points: 21,690, Level: 21

Re: how do I tell my parents - September 11th 2013, 05:55 PM

Hey Lydia,

I think you definitely need to discuss this with your mum. You also, however, need to respect her decision if she says that you aren't allowed to meet him. Remember that she's doing what she does to protect you (whether that's coming with you first time, or not allowing you to go at all, etc.).
Try just asking her. When you're alone, just explain the situation and ask her about meeting him.

I would personally have to (and sorry, I know you don't want to hear this) question your complete safety. Have you ever used any video calling services such as Skype? That would mean it would be a lot harder to disguise yourself online if he is anything to worry about, because as much as I'd like to fully trust everyone on the internet (and your judgement), there are risks out there and I'd be incredibly concerned about a 14 year old meeting a 17 year old who she met on the Internet two months previously. You can take a look at some good eSafety tips on ThinkUKnow.

Please be careful and keep safe, and definitely discuss this with your mum before making any plans. I would also emphasise the importance of at least having seen this guy on a Skype video call before even considering meeting him in person, which could be dangerous.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Satine Offline
Not a n00b

Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13 Points: 8,452, Level: 13

Re: how do I tell my parents - September 11th 2013, 07:17 PM

I agree with Rachael. It would be great for this to be a completely safe situation where you could meet him without any risk, but there is a possibility he's not who/what he says he is. It makes sense to put some safeguards in, and if he is who you believe him to be then he'll agree to this.

Just in case you feel your mum is unlikely to be as supportive, rational and kind about the relationship as you need, please consider who else you would like to ask for help with this. A teacher, an older sibling, a trusted neighbour, an aunt... Whoever you think.

Take care, and I hope everything goes well.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
liddy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lydia

Points: 7,781, Level: 12 Points: 7,781, Level: 12 Points: 7,781, Level: 12

Re: how do I tell my parents - September 11th 2013, 07:53 PM

Yes we do video chat on skype like everyday
Closed Thread