TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26

Lied about my age - June 7th 2020, 08:01 PM

[SIZE="a"]Hi, it’s my first post here so please bear with me.

I met my internet friend when I was 11 and they were 14. I told them that I was 14 too, didn’t think much of it, I just wanted to fit in and make a temporary friend. Well we’ve been talking on and off for 4 years now. They are turning 18 soon and I’m only 15. I’m wondering if I tell them my age now, they will feel betrayed, and as an 18 year old they will treat me different or not want to be friends with me anymore because of my age. As I said before, our friendship has been on and off, as we’ve had many conflicts, so I feel like this might be a tipping point :([/size]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Arabesque- golfing girl. Offline
Be Creative. Always Dance❤️

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Emmie🦋

Points: 109,155, Level: 47 Points: 109,155, Level: 47 Points: 109,155, Level: 47

Re: Lied about my age - June 7th 2020, 10:08 PM

Hello and welcome to Teenhelp, it is lovely that you have joined. I'm so sorry that you are having a hard time with this and hope that you will be okay soon.

I understand what you are saying and how you want to fit in with other people, so you lied about your age and now you do not know what to do. The thing is, if they are truly your friends, what may happen is they are going to get upset with you for a while and hopefully they stay being your friends and ask you not to lie anymore. Or they may think that you are too young or they are upset because you lied to them and they may not want to be friends with you. My parents always taught me and my sisters to be honest even when it is hard. So if you can try to tell them and let them know why you did this, maybe they will understand. Whatever happens, it will happen. Try not to get upset.

Also nothing wrong with being 15 years old, you do not want to grow up too fast. Another thing, teenhelp has a lot of people who you can be friends with. Everyone is so nice and helpful

Just always be yourself, because people then will see the lovely person who you are I wish you the best with this and hope that you will be okay soon.

•Forums Officer
•HelpLINK Moderator
•Community Moderator•
Article Writer
•Resource Editor
•Newsletter Editor
• Social Media Guru.

"Dance is your pulse, your heartbeat,
It’s the rhythm
of your life.

It’s the expression
in time and movement,

in happiness, joy, sadness and envy.
-Jacques d’Ambroise''
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Lied about my age - June 9th 2020, 08:54 AM

Hi there!

Welcome to TeenHelp! This is the place to be if you want some advice, want to rant, or anything in between!

So I am going to mostly second what Emma has already said. Sometimes we end up lying, it just happens. You were really young back then, and you would've had your reasons. It's in the past now, so don't beat yourself over that

Like Emma said, you can come clean about your age to your friend now, and explain why you lied about your age 4 years ago. Try to seek their understanding. Yes, they might be upset for some time, but if they truly valued your friendship, they will not let this matter break your ties.

It's always laudable to be honest when we made a mistake, it's not too late to rectify it

Take care, and feel free to get in touch with us if you have any questions!
Closed Thread