TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,050, Level: 26 Points: 34,050, Level: 26 Points: 34,050, Level: 26

Bases - July 31st 2020, 01:21 PM

[SIZE="a"]I've heard people refer to the terms 1st base, 2nd base, 3rd base, and home. As in the made it to that certain base. I think they're talking about intercourse but what does all that mean??[/size]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Bases - July 31st 2020, 10:50 PM

Thank you for posting. Personally, I believe the base system and bragging about it to be crude. Usually it's a way for (mostly) men to objectify (mostly) women without their consent. It turns intimacy into a contest, and that just really doesn't sit well with me. Neither is it an easy way to convey things. Yes, it's referring to physical sexual interactions, but sex looks different for everyone, especially those in non-heterosexual relationships. Essentially, it's really not the best way of measuring "progress" in intimacy.

Now before I answer your question, I want to say please take it with a grain of salt based on what I said above.

I believe it to be the following:

First base: Kissing, making out, etc.
Second base: Topless interactions
Third base: Bottomless/fully nude
Home run: Intercourse

Of course a "Home run" is confusing because oral, anal, and vaginal sex are all forms of intercourse. Some people may choose to include oral sex in third base, but that doesn't sit well because it makes it seem like the only "valid" form of intercourse is vaginal or anal, which is not true.

But basically, yeah, that's what they're talking about. I know I inserted a lot of personal opinion and I am sorry if that digressed from the answer, but I like educating people when they ask about things that are inherently misogynistic, homophobic/transphobic, etc (though that doesn't mean you are those things because you asked about them). I think it's good to spread awareness of that sort of thing.

PM me if you have any other questions. I am happy to help.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42 Points: 88,231, Level: 42

Re: Bases - August 2nd 2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
Thank you for posting. Personally, I believe the base system and bragging about it to be crude. Usually it's a way for (mostly) men to objectify (mostly) women without their consent. It turns intimacy into a contest, and that just really doesn't sit well with me. Neither is it an easy way to convey things. Yes, it's referring to physical sexual interactions, but sex looks different for everyone, especially those in non-heterosexual relationships. Essentially, it's really not the best way of measuring "progress" in intimacy.

Now before I answer your question, I want to say please take it with a grain of salt based on what I said above.

I believe it to be the following:

First base: Kissing, making out, etc.
Second base: Topless interactions
Third base: Bottomless/fully nude
Home run: Intercourse

Of course a "Home run" is confusing because oral, anal, and vaginal sex are all forms of intercourse. Some people may choose to include oral sex in third base, but that doesn't sit well because it makes it seem like the only "valid" form of intercourse is vaginal or anal, which is not true.

But basically, yeah, that's what they're talking about. I know I inserted a lot of personal opinion and I am sorry if that digressed from the answer, but I like educating people when they ask about things that are inherently misogynistic, homophobic/transphobic, etc (though that doesn't mean you are those things because you asked about them). I think it's good to spread awareness of that sort of thing.

PM me if you have any other questions. I am happy to help.
Hi there,

As Heathen mentioned, it basically means 'how far' you went with someone such as kissing, making out, sexual intercourse, etc.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Panda Solo Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Not a n00b

Name: Leah

Points: 8,301, Level: 13 Points: 8,301, Level: 13 Points: 8,301, Level: 13

Re: Bases - August 19th 2020, 03:23 AM

Thank you Eli, I had the same confusion as I watch dramas, shows, and moview that bring up those terms. Your explaniation is very understandble and clearly defined.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Bases - August 19th 2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Solo View Post
Thank you Eli, I had the same confusion as I watch dramas, shows, and moview that bring up those terms. Your explaniation is very understandble and clearly defined.
No problem. I am glad I could help.
Closed Thread