TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blueraider0 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Alex Maslow

Making someone like you - January 15th 2009, 11:18 PM

Clearly there's no magic formula for getting someone to like you, and if they have their heart set on someone else you're probably not going to win them over. However, there are things we can do to make the person like you. I'm not very sure what, and its different for each person I guess, but what do ya'll think? Girls, what do you like in someone that makes him more interesting and guys, same question. I suppose I'll start:

I like a girl who'll lounge around with me and doesn't mind having a quiet night
I like a girl to ask me questions about myself. It show's shes interested in who I am
I like it when a girl gives a let's call it a lingering smile.
More generally, I love optimism in a girl
As much as I enjoy lounging, I really enjoy going on adventures. So someone who can do both would be great
Someone who likes movies and likes thinking about them
Someone who can hold a conversation about religion/philosophy. We don't have to agree, but someone smart enough to engage in the conversation is key.

I donno - hopefully that'll help someone out. While this is a general kinda post I'll admit it's because some girl told me she just wanted to be friends which is great she's fantastic but in my mind I'm wondering if there's something I can do to try to win her over...

But this post isn't about me - let's just keep it general.

Just keep fighting

"You can't sew a stitch with one hand while you're taking it apart."

"If you're going through hell..... keep going."

"There comes a moment in everyone's life when you must choose between resentment and joy. To be free again, joy must mean more to you than vengeance... Forgiveness is the best revenge, because when you forgive, it sets you free."
  Send a message via AIM to blueraider0  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Anna Offline
Formerly destined
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Anna

Re: Making someone like you - January 16th 2009, 02:04 AM

Honestly...in my opinion, there's nothing you can do to make someone like you. Yes, everyone has different tastes...but that's exactly the point. People will click with certain people, and with others they won't connect at all. It's not really something you can control - if the personalities and the chemistry don't work, there's nothing you can do to change it...and if you try, you're only fooling yourself.

Though on a more optimistic note, I will say that if you're interested in someone and you know their "type" you might get a feel for which sides of your personality you should show - don't pretend to be something you're not, but if you know she likes funny guys, why not let your awesome sense of humor show through? If you know he likes girls who portray confidence, why not do something bold?

I am not saying to change yourself - that's really the worst thing you can do, because in the end, they'll find out the truth anyways, and if your personalities don't click, you'll just have wasted time. But if you have traits that match what you know they like, it may help to show them that side of you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
devs711 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Making someone like you - January 16th 2009, 03:33 PM

Well put, Anna. Never change yourself for someone else. There is someone out there that will like YOU as YOU and not as SOMEONE ELSE. Obviously, it is your responsibility to make yourself presentable (shower, brush teeth, comb hair, use deoderant, wash face, etc. etc.). Obviously, you can act confident (everyone has confidence. some just choose not to use it). But never, ever, change your personality for someone else (such as: pretending you LOVE sports when you really HATE them). That will only result in unhappiness and/or pain in the long run.

Back to general:
I like girls that would rather cuddle and watch a movie than constantly make out/have sex
I like girls that would rather have a catch than sit around and do nails.
I like girls that are confident enough with their looks that they dont need loads of makeup
I like girls that will say NO even if I say please.
I like girls that will laugh at my bad jokes
I like girls that will listen to me even if they dont care, simply becuase I would do the same.
I like girls that can match my sometimes very obnoxious sense of humour with at least have as much wit as I have.
I like girls that can and will have an intelligent debate just for the fun of it.
I like girls that are Jewish.

I know thats specific, but I believe that there is someone out there that fits all of it.

PM me if you ever need anything. I am always around and wanting to help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Elf Offline
flying and skying
Not a n00b

Name: Anne

Re: Making someone like you - January 16th 2009, 06:13 PM

I like boys that are:
  • good-natured, who throw themselves into what they're doing and really care about other people
  • good at making me laugh, and capable of smart/interesting conversations
  • passionate about something, about anything
  • both strong and gentle, kind to animals, children, and people in general
  • polite and well-mannered
  • flirtatious and affectionate, good at making eye contact
  • curly-haired with rosy cheeks, and good at giving hugs. :]
The best advice I can give you is to put yourself out there and be yourself, don't be afraid to show off your personality. Remember that girls are people, too- we can be shy and nervous and insecure, we like to be talked to and liked- and if one of us isn't into you, it's okay. It's just one person. You have as many chances as you have people around you.

be thankful for what you have
and you'll end up having more.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Making someone like you - January 16th 2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraider0 View Post
I like a girl who'll lounge around with me and doesn't mind having a quiet night
I like a girl to ask me questions about myself. It show's shes interested in who I am
I like it when a girl gives a let's call it a lingering smile.
More generally, I love optimism in a girl
As much as I enjoy lounging, I really enjoy going on adventures. So someone who can do both would be great
Someone who likes movies and likes thinking about them
Someone who can hold a conversation about religion/philosophy. We don't have to agree, but someone smart enough to engage in the conversation is key.

Haha... I like the same qualities in guys as you like in girls - No joke.
Hi-five!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Angilea. Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lea

Re: Making someone like you - January 16th 2009, 06:35 PM

guys:
who can communicate well with me
and i mean that by responding random answers and just nodding
your head and expect to end the conversation in 30 sec. will
not do it for me, i do not to tell my guy how to live his life,and i
expect the same from him,a guy who can show a good time and