Thread: Female Advice Preferred: Long Heavy Periods?
View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Long Heavy Periods? - May 17th 2017, 12:52 AM

I can't give an exact answer as to why, since as you said, there are a variety of answers. But I definitely would call your doctor. I have been on birth control for a few years now but before I went on it I'd have those heavy, waterfall periods, and I'd go through times where I'd have them every two weeks. It got to the point where I was borderline anemic so I had to take iron pills for a little while to get my iron levels regular again. And then I started being late every month.

A change in weight can definitely cause your period to change, and so can things such as a change in medication, change in exercise or diet routine, or a change in your stress levels. Or my sister has a hard time getting her period and then getting it to stop when it does come because of something called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, also known as PCOS. Symptoms of PCOS are sometimes more noticeable after gaining weight and some of the symptoms can include menstrual problems, skin problems, thinning hair on the scalp but growth of hair other places like the face, and more. I'm not saying that's what you have, though!

I think your best bet is to see a doctor. I know that you want to wait until your period is over but remember that you don't have to, as a doctor has likely dealt with that before. You said your periods have sometimes been lasting over a month, and that's not something you really want to wait around with. The doctor can test your iron to make sure you're not anemic and test your hormone levels and other things if needed to see what is causing your periods to be this way, and what can be done to fix it.

They may suggest birth control again, and if they do I suggest telling them how you didn't have a period on the last form of birth control but as soon as you went off it the problems started again.

Best of luck!