Thread: Triggering (SH): What have i done!!?
View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: What have i done!!? - September 3rd 2009, 03:24 AM

Hey Dani :] I can understand what you're going through right now, because I've been there before as well. However, don't beat yourself up about this. You did what you thought would help at the time. Unfortunately, self harm is not the kind of 'help' you should be giving yourself.

It's great that you realize self harm is not a healthy thing to turn to. By realizing this, it makes it much easier for you to take the initiative and the first steps towards recovering. First off, I'd get rid of this box. Dump in the trash, ask someone to put it somewhere where you cannot find it, if throwing the contents away seems a bit too hard for you. Having the box nearby the next time you feel the need to hurt yourself is way too big of a temptation.

Second, arm yourself with distractions. You're going to have days where self harm seems to be the best thing to turn to. When you have a day or a moment like that, you need to know how to distract yourself. You can find a list of alternatives and distractions here that may help you out in the future.

How long have you been self harming? If you feel this has become a large problem in your life, maybe you should consider talking to someone. Not because there is anything wrong with you, but because everyone needs a little extra help every once in awhile. There are obviously issues going on in your life that are causing you to feel the need to self harm. Maybe talking through those issues would make it easy to get through the day without self harming. It's never too early or too late to talk to someone. If you feel like it may be something that could help you, it's definitely worth a shot.

You may feel as if self harm is not too big of a deal, at least not if you're not using a blade. But the truth is if you're scratching, cutting, burning, etc. no matter how minor the cuts may seem to you, self harm is a problem, and as with any problem, it needs to be dealt with. You're strong for posting this thread and admitting that you have been self harming, I think that's great. Now the next step is dealing with this problem, and finding healthier ways to truly help yourself.

I'm always around if you need to chat, so PM me anytime Hang in there. x

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts