View Single Post
  Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Limiting my time here - January 10th 2021, 12:19 PM

Firstly, I hope my response doesn't cause any offence. I'm writing this to help you (and perhaps any other forum visitors) understand and hopefully it'll help put your mind at ease in a few ways.

There are a few reasons why people don't necessarily reply to your posts. One of which is the pandemic. Many are so caught up in their own lives and life-stressors that they only have a certain amount of energy to expend. As horrible as it sounds, sometimes they just don't have the energy to read a post and formulate a reply. It might sound like a simple act, but when someone has so much going on and/or has very little time to spare, some members may pick and choose what reads they read/reply to very carefully.

Another reason, and this one is extremely common, is that members may not know how to reply. You have made some extremely good posts. There's no doubt about it. They have been noticed and read. However, not everyone knows how to reply. Everyone comes here with their own levels of knowledge and experience. This means that someone who reads your thread may, again, have read it, but not know how to even comfort you or formulate a reply. Some members dislike formulating replies for fear of how they may come across.

I speak from both observation and my years of experience on Teen Help when I say this... and I understand this isn't one you may like. Unfortunately, sometimes it is the length of the post/thread that puts people off reading/replying. For example, I've made dozens of threads on this forum, they're mixed in subject. Some of them are casual threads, some of them are me asking for advice, some are me writing hefty complaints because I need to get something off my chest. The threads with less content in them, regardless of what that content is, yield more replies than one that looks like I wrote an essay (because I have been known to write a great deal like that ). There are mixed reasons why my longer threads receive little/no replies. People have no idea how to help me so say nothing at all. People want to help but are too busy to formulate a suitable reply. People don't want to make a reply. People see how long my thread is and go 'welp!' and click off.

Teen Help has a very unique forum culture. Everybody comes here for the same thing - to get help. In comparison to who who come here to get help, those who are willing to give back and post replies, however harsh it may sound, is far lower. In all my time here, I have seen many members come and go from this forum. They ask for help but they do not stay once they receive the information they have received. It sounds horrible, and maybe it is. But this forum is for just that. To give help and support to those who need it, even if they're just passers-by. However, this isn't to say all Teen Help members never stay. This is why staff exist. Staff are members of Teen Help who have enjoyed the forum culture so much that they chose to stay, and give back to the site because it has helped them in a very specific way. It's also why I too, have stayed.

Finally, unfortunately the 'views' of this site do lie. A guest can view your threads as many times as they wish and it not be counted. As I have done. I assure you I have read many of your threads. However, I have either chosen not to log in, or more commonly, I browse in Invisible Mode. Perhaps it's a bug, or it's intentional. I don't know. It's similar to when visiting a person's profile. Given that I browse the forums in Invisible Mode, my name does not appear in a person's 'visitor' list.
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1360929 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!