View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20 Points: 19,139, Level: 20

Religion and Public Schools - March 20th 2013, 02:40 AM

I recently took a long-term substitute teaching job, teaching 2nd graders from now until the end of May. I have been with my students for about a week now.

Today, during Guided Reading, my reading group and I were talking about times when we have been worried (the name of the book they are reading is called "Wemberly Worried"). One student mentioned having faith when you're worried helps because God and Jesus are there to protect you and take care of you.
It was really sweet to see her SO open about her faith and so willing to talk about her love for Jesus.

Now, the issue that I have is this:
Teachers in public schools have a lot of restrictions when it comes to speaking about religion in the classroom. We cannot talk about our own religion, and some school districts don't even allow teachers to wear religious jewelry (like a cross/crucifix necklace) because of the implications that it can have on students.
I do understand that teachers have a huge impact on students and the impact isn't just academic. I also understand that the classroom isn't the place to have religious discussions (unless it's a private religious school, of course).

But, being a very faithful individual, in situations where a student mentions religion in some way, or asks me questions about religion or my faith, I find it very difficult to hold my tongue. I know I have to... but I have never had to "censor" my faith for anyone before. How do I handle this? I hate just pushing those kinds of comments aside, especially when religion is SO prevalent in a student's life and they have made a connection between their religious life and a classroom topic. We always encourage children to make connections between their academic and their daily life, yet when they do, we have to push them aside as if they mean nothing, just because they mention God?

I would like to be able to acknowledge a student for making a religious connection without fear of some kind of reprimand. I would like students to be able to feel that they can ask me a question about religion or their faith (and be able to answer the question) without feeling like I have to walk on eggshells to give an answer. I don't want to have to say, "Ask your parents," or, "Ask your /priest/pastor/preacher." To me, there's a reason why they would ask me about it or why they would talk about it with me. I live by the mantra, "Students don't care what you know until they know that you care," and if I push them aside, I fear that they will think I don't care.

The simplest response is to say, "Then find a private school that follows your beliefs to teach in," and believe me... I'm trying. But while I'm working in a public school (as I will be until the end of the current school year at least), how do I hold my tongue? It's probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. :/

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi