View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
marvelous123 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Mila

Points: 7,903, Level: 13 Points: 7,903, Level: 13 Points: 7,903, Level: 13

Do you let your disability get in the way of your life? - April 3rd 2013, 04:44 AM

First of all, I would like to kind-of-sort-of proudly say, I'm blind.

Well, legally blind.

I was born with this disability. It made me a really shy person because I was scared that people would judge me for looking different (I was on steroids and immunosupressives my whole childhood because of cornea transplants), acting different (looking at things funny, having to have special machines like a monocular or a magnifier to help me see things) or just in general. And yeah, I did get made fun of. A lot. This made me even more paranoid as I grew older, and started becoming depressed (it doesn't help that my family situation is messed up as well).

Right now, I have vision that's known to be 20/400. This means whatever someone with regular 20/20 vision can see from 400 feet away, I can only see from 20 feet away. I don't use a cane (but i do own a ID cane that I use in busy cities) and I don't have a guide dog (sadly! I love dogs ), but it still affects me. I can't drive a car. I never got to learn to ride a bike. I get lost in new places pretty easily - which makes me anxious about going out places on my own.

I'm slowly starting to come to with these issues. In my head, I rationalize. Yeah, it sucks I can't drive. But think of all the money I'm saving on insurance and gas (I get free bus tickets). But the going places without getting lost is a big thing still. I'm trying to push myself little by little, maybe making someone take me somewhere and once or twice and then remember the route, or looking up the busses I need to take.

Anyways, in a way, it is sort of a gift. I got to meet many different people and have had lots of different experiences because of it (special blind and visually impaired camps and outings, scholarships, etc). I get academic accommodations for computer versions of my textbooks and exams. But that's mostly it. I try very hard to not let my disability come in my way. Sure, it makes me anxious still, but I am trying to push myself and still be like everyone else.

The main point of this little rant is: If I can do this, so can you. We all face challenges in our lives, either they are physically, sensory or mental, they still affect us. You can't let this run your life. It doesn't define you, it is only a piece of the whole picture. Don't let it run your life.

Ok. Done now. Tell me your stories if you'd like! And if you questions, feel free.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.